Were you at Berridge?

I used to wear a liberty bodice in Winter when I was at Primary School but also (horror of horrors) thick brown stockings which fastened on to it! I used to get bad chilblains in my toes so think this is why I had to wear them. I remember some of the other children calling me 'lady' because of the stockings, but don't think I was unduly damaged by the teasing.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Through this door...and it's the original, although painted black in my day...I walked with my mum one cold morning early in 1962. I was just 4 years old. The door led to Miss Smith's office and my mu

How many Berridge children have secreted themselves inside this niche situated in the playground which fronts the old infant building, hoping to be left behind when the bell rang at playtime's close?

Sitting on this exact spot, facing the stationery cupboard in Mr Parr's classroom, in spring 1969, I sat my 11+ exam.

Posted Images

Michael keep this strictly to yourself and delete after reading.............but i was the only boy at school who could stand and walk on his Toes in Dancing lessons......................lol...................now delete..........

• Upvote 4

OH NO, Michael you've let me down,you of all people,everybody's read it !!! ive even had likes and Jill Sparrow offering Therapy.............how did i get into this mess............and i did'nt even go to Berridge...............

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I started infants class 1940 .If there was an air raid the teachers would send us to the brick shelter that was built next to the gate.Still rember the fighter planes in the sky .It was from school that i was evacuated to Worksop,hated it .In the junior school about 1944 all us kids would line up for a table spoon of a vitamins and a glass of orange juice provided by the americans.In the senior school Mr milthorp would strap us for not leaning our times table , and Mr kendtick the woodwork teacher would wack us on the bum if we used the woodsaw incorectly .Mr pool? was my class teacher and my best mate was a Robert Pawley.Another class mate was Harry Devonport and Kenneth Basin.At the age of 14 i passed an exam and went to a technical school in the city so lost contact with my school mates .Any body remember the bug hole cinema on saterday afternoons on hyson green?cost sixpence to get in cowboys and indians and dan dare ,loverly stuff ,i got kicked out once for sticking a large lump of chewing gum to a girls hair to the seat in front of me .horrid boy happy days

• Upvote 5

Was it The Leno's or The Grand?

I seem to remember a Futurist somewhere along there too, but I could be mistaken.

i remember taking 'Christine' off Andover rd there in 1960..........thought i might get a 'cuddle' in them double seats down the side,....i was wrong,halfway thru the Picture she put her first Glasses on,telling me not to laugh.............well i did,and she Slapped me hard,.......never did get me cuddle...........lol.

Bless her........lovely girl...........

• Upvote 1

#174 The Bug hole was the Boulevard cinema on Radford Rd. Heading towards Basford, past The Grand on the left, cross Gregory Bvd and it was on the right. Supermarket there now. Cheapest matinee seats were -/4 pence. They were wooden seats on long cast iron frames bolted to the floor. Someone took a spanner in once and caused a whole row of occupied seat to collapse! My Auntie Evelyn was also shot on the temple with an air gun.there. Narrowly missed her eye and knocked here out. Usherettes sold penny and tuppenny suckers at the interval. And people say that Hyson Green has gone downhill since then!

• Upvote 1

#174. I'm certain this cinema has been mentioned before. The 'Bug-hole' was the Boulevard. It did not dispense a ticket when you paid, instead there was a clang as a metal disc/square fell in front of you. The 'carpet' down the isles was pit conveyor belting. The seats were not upholstered and fastened together in groups. The place was bordering on bedlam. I once went there and was aware of something irritating my neck whist I was watching the film, to find that it was youths gobbing on me from a couple of rows back. Funny enough I can remember two of the films that I saw there (went there three times, I think). One was Green Dolphin Street, and the other was a Johnny Weismuller Tarzan film. Interestingly, the Tarzan film changed into sepiatone half way through.

• Upvote 1

This was the Lenos.

lenos.jpg

Great pic of Lenos Cliff Ton although I remember it with a large canopy over the entrance.

Went there a few times when I lived in Forest Fields in the 60s. The locals described it as a flea pit but it provided some good entertainment for a reasonable price for a hard up 13 year old.

I remember seeing Morecambe & Wise in The Intelligence Men. I've got it on DVD and it still makes me laugh.

I was thrown out once when an usherette was convinced I was about to throw an ice cream carton off the balcony (I wasn't)

My mate's doctors was up the cul de sac where the lady with the pushchair is crossing. Big house made of Bulwell stone. Still there but I don't know if it's still a doctors surgery.

Across the road was Stevensons mentioned somewhere else on here. Great for trendy clothes. Don't think Jeff's Fashions came along until later.

On the same side as Stevensons and heading towards town was Gill's the chemist. Great bloke. He used to sell me sulphuric acid for my chemistry set. He'd get arrested for doing that today.

Further down still near St Paul's Avenue was a record shop where I bought my first 45s using a record token (remember those?) I'd been given for Christmas. Think a single was 6/8 back then.

I got The Beatles I Want to Hold Your Hand and Dave Clarke's Glad All Over so that was in early 1964. I've still got them.

• Upvote 2
  • 3 months later...

I was at berridge in the 50s infants and then juniors and then girls went to Bentinck girls school. My brother Pete Gibney was in the senior boys but that would have been in the 40s as he was about 10 years older than me ,my sister Barbara (older than me) and my late sister Sheila (younger than me ) were also at Berridge. I remember the big rocking horse in one of the infant classrooms the teacher was called I think Mrs Peake and she always wore a smock and I'm sure there was a rope hanging from the ceiling .I can't remember much more about the infants its such a long long time ago.

• 4 months later...

My older sister started at Berridge Infants in September 1955. I asked her for some names of those she went to school with. She's come up with: Linda Underwood who lived further up Berridge Road,,Lesley Webster from Chadwick Road, I think, later won a scholarship to NGHS, Susan Webster (no relation), Douglas Widdowson, Susan Meakin of Brushfield Street, Katrina Brown, Andrew Price, Nicholas Clark, Andrew Binks of Hazelwood Road, Dorothy Cannock, Carol Stokes, the elder of the Roper girls whose parents kept a wool shop on the corner of Berridge Road and Hazelwood Road. Probably also Josephine Jordan of Bobbers Mill Road.

Most also went on to Peveril. They'll all be 66 pushing 67 now!