Were you at Berridge?

As well as discipline and special needs issues the modern classroom is a far cry from our days of ink wells and a blackboard. Computers and various learning gadgets need attention that would distract a teacher from teaching. A teaching assistant would have been a Godsend to me as a visually impaired and slightly deaf kid. It was assumed that I was a bit dim and I was generally ignored. There was no pressure on teachers to get results then and they had the power to exercise discipline. Easy- peasy compared with the modern classroom.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Through this door...and it's the original, although painted black in my day...I walked with my mum one cold morning early in 1962. I was just 4 years old. The door led to Miss Smith's office and my mu

How many Berridge children have secreted themselves inside this niche situated in the playground which fronts the old infant building, hoping to be left behind when the bell rang at playtime's close?

Sitting on this exact spot, facing the stationery cupboard in Mr Parr's classroom, in spring 1969, I sat my 11+ exam.

Posted Images

Special Needs ! Most kids require special needs nowadays. It's affectionately called 'a smack in the mouth '. 

• Like 1

So, I should have had a smack in the mouth for being short sighted and deaf? I did get the strap a few time for not hearing what the teacher said. Teachers have to work a lot harder these days. Far more reports, preparation, and work during what used to be extensive holidays.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I cannot believe some of the last few comments from people who have had no or little experience working in modern day schools!   I worked with hearing impaired students for 30 years in a mainstream secondary school,  and also spent a couple of years working twice a week in our local primary school after I retired.   

Teachers no longer just stand at the front to teach rows of children sitting at desks and, as I said previously, teaching assistants are needed to help individuals or groups of  children to access the information fully in a way that is right for them, either by signing, simplifying the language or using other aids to enable them to participate in the lessons.  Not all children are able to learn in the same standard way but they all deserve a chance!  

I was fortunate when I was a child at infant and junior school that I found it easy to learn, but I dare say there were others who didn't and I feel so sad to read of PP's experience of getting the strap for not hearing instructions - that is terrible.   

• Like 10

I'm afraid I'll stick to word games as no one has a sense of humour anymore.

• Like 1

You do that Fly. The awful names that you call people sometimes especially if they don't come up to your physical preferences are often very cruel and offensive. It has always been just a matter of time before you really offended someone. I wont say perhaps you should think if your opinion on something could be hurtful or insensitive, because you have made it clear you don't care. I for one can see why your post caused upset. Well done to you!

• Like 5

So it's fine for several other members to be derogatory about folk is it ? 

No it’s not FLY.  I think we should all be aware that anyone in the World with access to the internet can read everything that is written on Nottstalgia, or any other forum for that matter.  Basically brain should be engaged before criticising certain groups of our society.  We may all have similar views but we must think before we type. 

• Like 5

Point taken Lizzie, and my apologies to anyone I've caused offence to. Most of my derogatory comments are intended as tongue in cheek. So...... Sorry folks !

Margie, thank you that was a great post and helps with the understanding of school today. I for one had never thought about the fact impaired children are now educated in the mainstream and rightly so.

I still remember the special schools for deaf or blind childern

NBL, There are still a few schools for hearing impaired students, also for those who are visually impaired but this is not their only option.  There have been huge  advances in helping those who are born with hearing loss - modern digital hearing aids or cochlear implants are offered to very young children and these can help them make more sense of the world around them, especially in regard to understanding speech.  They are not a complete answer, though, and some students will always need extra help in the classroom.  

Apart from these sensory impairments, there are many other children with different disabilities who can now be educated in mainstream, instead of being sent to 'special' schools.  As long as there is the extra classroom support available, I agree with you that this seems to be the right thing to do.

• Like 4

Thank you Margie and Lizzie for clarifying a few points.

Fly - I was not upset by your comments. I've learnt to be a bit tougher than that. I have just tried making the point that modern teaching has changed enormously, as has modern life. Speaking as a pre war kid I don't like a few things that modern life brings but we should embrace and encourage the good things that it also brings. High standards of teaching, against all the odds is one of them.

'Downtime' in the teaching profession is getting worse due to stress. No wonder, what with Gov't policy changes, PC, religious and ethnic considerations, constant checks and efficiency reviews, bleddy mobile phones, drugs....... There is also a widening gap with parental expectations. Awful parents getting worse, often drugs related. Pushy parent thinking they can dominate the teachers.

Berridge in the 40's and 50's had none of that. I stand in awe at the modern teacher who is able to do a good job.  

• Like 6
  • 1 month later...

I have been gone for a while. My Mum died so had a lot of travel back and forth to the US and the UK. Anyway, here are three class photos from different years from Berridge. Brings back memories. I remember faces, but not names, except for Nasreen, the Indian girl who was lovely.  Enjoy. Hmmm.... This group will only allow a 51. 2 kb files so i dont know how to post the photos to you. Happy New Year everyone. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 4/27/2017 at 9:18 AM, Ian1885 said:

Not sure if I've jumped in at the right place. I was at Berridge 1965 to 1971 when I then went to High Pavement. I think this pic was about 1968? I'm back row, third from the left.

IMG_4790.JPG

I have a strong suspicion that I am on the front rank, last one on the right with the lovely jumper on. 

• 9 months later...

Welcome to Nottstalgia, chrisj. Hope you enjoy the site.

I was at Berridge from 1962 to 1969. Would love to hear your memories of the school and it's teachers.  I didn't like school very much but have some fond memories of this one.

Next year, it will be 50 years since I left Berridge. Half a century. I've been thinking of contacting the school to ask whether, as an ex pupil, I would be permitted to go and have a look round.  I last visited during the centenary celebrations in 1984 and there will have been many changes since then.  In the new year, I'll contact Berridge to find out whether a trip down memory lane is possible.

• Like 1