Were you at Berridge?

Re the picture back drop. Were the huts on the lower playground? I never went down there.

On our last day at school we attended the leaving service at St Peters. It was the only time I had been there because our church was St Michaels, which was then opposite to Bentink Rd school. It's a shame that the fine church has gone. The substantial church hall was a community asset. I cannot remember when it was demolished? must be 40 years ago? Oddly enough it was still marked on the 2000 edition of the Nottingham A Z street atlas. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Through this door...and it's the original, although painted black in my day...I walked with my mum one cold morning early in 1962. I was just 4 years old. The door led to Miss Smith's office and my mu

How many Berridge children have secreted themselves inside this niche situated in the playground which fronts the old infant building, hoping to be left behind when the bell rang at playtime's close?

Sitting on this exact spot, facing the stationery cupboard in Mr Parr's classroom, in spring 1969, I sat my 11+ exam.

Posted Images

Yes, the photo was taken in the playground where the two wooden huts were. Not the lower playground.

On CT's photo, I can clearly see the toilets in the lower playground but can't see any in the upper, at least not where I recall them. Odd subject but where were the loos in your day, PP? There were no indoor loos until 1968.

1 minute ago, Jill Sparrow said:

There were no indoor loos until 1968.

My knowledge of that area comes from the fact that my grandparents lived on Grimston Road.

My grandma died in 1970 and my grandad continued to live there until about 1977, and even then the house had no bathroom or inside toilet.

4 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Yes, the photo was taken in the playground where the two wooden huts were. Not the lower playground.

On CT's photo, I can clearly see the toilets in the lower playground but can't see any in the upper, at least not where I recall them. Odd subject but where were the loos in your day, PP? There were no indoor loos until 1968.

The toilets in the upper playground were in the top corner which is bottom left of the blown up picture. As far as I am aware they were just boys there not girls but I can't be certain as I never used the girls! I know if I went to that top corner of the playground outside the toilets you could see the time on Players clock, Radford Boulevard.

On 21 November 2018 at 8:01 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

Have spoken to a friend who went all the way through Berridge with me and she recalls no stage. I know where it was, however, and have a school photo taken on the site of it.

P-20161024-102153.jpg

This was taken in 1967 in the upper school hall.  The classroom behind us belonged to Mr Kemp who retired the following year. He never taught me but I gather he was a multiple ruler merchant when irked!

To the left was the cloakroom and stairs descending down a stairwell corresponding to that on the other side of the hall where Mr Baugh's office, the staff room and the school secretary's office was situated. She was Mrs J Davies and worked there for years. The staircase to our left wasn't used but passed a door which bore the sign 'Girls' Headmistress' and had been empty since the girls' school closed in the 1930s. 

I went down there several times and right at the bottom one emerged into the tunnel which led to the infants' building.

I think the stage was at the opposite end of the hall Jill. The end where the Heads office was.

The wooden huts must have been upgraded after my time. The windows are different. The wooden huts near the railings had steps up to the door ways and the windows were higher. The other huts had different windows too. Although not that sharp the old windows can be made out from CT's blow up.The senior school was boys only, therefore the toilets were boys only. The playground sloped away from the huts and also slightly away from Berridge Rd. When the snow and ice was about it was great for slides.

Yes, the huts by the railings had steps. The door opened facing the side of the teacher's dais. It was mighty cold in there in winter!

I was fortunate that I went home each Lunch time and used my own loo. Sometimes, the school outside loos got blocked and the smell ensured we kept to the other end of the playground.

P-20181125-132323-001.jpg

This image is from 1957/8 and looks as though it was taken outside the infant school. My sister is on this one and would have been in the first year of the juniors. The teacher may be Mrs Peat whom no one seemed to like. She was gone by the time I hit the juniors.

Sis is second row from the front, fourth from the right.  Fifth from the right is Linda Underwood.

Thanks CT. First pic is form T4 1953. I am 4th from left on back row. Terry Doaks is in front of me. The teacher on the left is 'Buffalo' Cheesman our science master. Science lab on the left.

Second picture is of the 1953 prefects with Mr Henson the Head. Terry Doaks was NOT a prefect ;)

• Like 2

Julie-s-Berridge-Road-Class-photo.jpg

Taken outside the infant building and showing both Miss Smith the headmistress, on the right, and Miss Smith, teacher of top infants, on the left. The Stephen's Ink thermometer was still there when I arrived in 1962. This photo which has unfortunately suffered some damage, is circa 1957, the year I was born. Sis is on here. Full front row, 3rd from the right.

• Like 1

jschool-2.jpg

Again, from Friends United. Date unknown but looks like 1950s. This was taken outside the infant building and, in the background, at extreme left is the door in the wall I first entered when I began school, aged 4, just inside the Brushfield Street gate.

2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Julie-s-Berridge-Road-Class-photo.jpg

Taken outside the infant building and showing both Miss Smith the headmistress, on the right, and Miss Smith, teacher of top infants, on the left. The Stephen's Ink thermometer was still there when I arrived in 1962. This photo which has unfortunately suffered some damage, is circa 1957, the year I was born. Sis is on here. Full front row, 3rd from the right.

I'm not 100% but believe my sister is pictured here, middle row (excluding seated floor) second from right. She was born early 1951 so it's possible. Sadly she passed away last year way too soon.

17 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

jthis-is-mr-gibby-class-circa-19ty57-58-

Year unknown. Caption refers to Mr Gibby as the teacher. Juniors, certainly.

How many in the class!!! Think there were about 30ish in my class at Berridge. 

Thanks for posting Jill. I have very few photos of my sister around this age so this is a delight to see. I dare say this same picture is at my brother in laws house but we don't talk, (don't get me started) Having studied it closely there is no doubt it's my Janet.