Were you at Berridge?

I'm really pleased it is your sister. So nice to find a relative on a school photo. Found one from 1930 on a Beeston website a few years ago. My dad's face jumped off the screen, aged 5. I had never seen it before. He had only just passed on so it was a lovely find to share with the family.

I will ask my sister if she remembers the name. Her memory isn't...and never has been... good but if I give her a name she sometimes remembers whereas she wouldn't recall faces.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Through this door...and it's the original, although painted black in my day...I walked with my mum one cold morning early in 1962. I was just 4 years old. The door led to Miss Smith's office and my mu

How many Berridge children have secreted themselves inside this niche situated in the playground which fronts the old infant building, hoping to be left behind when the bell rang at playtime's close?

Sitting on this exact spot, facing the stationery cupboard in Mr Parr's classroom, in spring 1969, I sat my 11+ exam.

Posted Images

School photos definitely reflect the era when they were taken.

Looking at the last half dozen which Jill has posted, everybody in them looks exactly like all the kids on my school photos. I could almost be tempted to believe I'm somewhere in there and that I once knew many of those pictured.

• Like 1

If you'd lived on Grimston Road, CT, you would have been on the photos!  If you were a naughty boy, Miss Smith would have wrapped your head in the roller towel and tanned your backside, just like the other bad lads.  It created a diversion from long division!

We visited Grimston Road maybe half a dozen times a year, so through most of the 1960s I was probably there 50-60 times. Yet in all those visits I don't ever remember seeing any children living in the area, although I'm sure there were at least a few (I now know that letsavagoo lived just up from my grandparents).  It seemed to be populated entirely by adults - and old ones at that.

There were lots of Berridge children in that area, CT. One who has just sprung to mind was Ian Munro. In my form at school. Bright lad. Letsavagoo may recall the family. Dad was Scottish. Ian, I think, went to High Pavement.

There were quite a few children on Grimston Road. Ian Munroe as Jill recalls. Opposite Ian was Ann Archer who was in my class at Berridge. James Horrocks at 47 so very near your Grandparents CT but he came mid 60's. Roy and Sue Savage and Malcolm and Catherine Nix. If you go to the next road up, Wordsworth  numerous Berridge children. Kevin Hallam, Martin and Jane Jewers, Mick and janet Jackson and the Broomhead boys. Glentworth Road has to have an honourable mention as my wife Jane and her siblings Karen, David, Sue and Joanne all went to Berridge.

Would the mother of Malcolm and Catherine Nix have been the Mrs Nix who kept the hardware shop at the bottom of Bobbers Mill Road? It's an unusual name. She had a poodle dog and often came to our house wanting to use the telephone...in fact, she became a nuisance! She always brought the poodle with her, so I didn't mind!  I never knew where she lived.

There used to be a Nix family at Oxton. Our children went to school with theirs. They have a building firm, T.V  Nix which still operates from Oxton. Quite likely related as it’s an unusual name. Just checked - no actual Nix’s in the family now, just a grandson of different name.

The Nix family were from Hazelwood Road, Hyson Green. Bernard and Alice Nix of Grimston Road were my wife's great uncle and aunt, Bernard being the brother of Alf Nix her grandfather. Bernard worked at Players all his life and had no connection or relation to the hardware shop. Bernard's dad, also an Alf was a full time soldier and one of the first over to France and took part in the retreat from Mons. He wrote a long and moving account of this which I have a copy of. No connection we know of to the Nix builders at Oxton Phil mentions.

Re Nix.

Last name: Nix SDB Popularity ranking: 3268 This uncommon and intriguing name is of early medieval English origin, and is a patronymic form of the surname derived from a short, pet form of the male personal name Nicholas.

The surname of Nix also appears in the world of Nottingham History and old photos. There was a Paul Nix who died around 10 years ago and had a considerable involvement in that subject.  By coincidence, an article on the subject has appeared very recently.   

https://www.leftlion.co.uk/read/2018/december/nottingham-hidden-history-team/?fbclid=IwAR2ZrF8z8q0DzOvBISA7mm4cxU6KAKp5CqNPQYPGh9L8Ci86P7o4NiTlOhw

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have heard from the year 5/6 team leader at Berridge who tells me that weeks commencing 18 or 25 March 2019 are the periods when Berridge history will be covered and a visit at any time during that period would be welcome.  A request has also been made for an informal question and answer session in each of 3 classes as to what the school was like years ago.

Anyone who wants to participate, please let me have date preferences so that I can liaise with the school. Ta muchly.

• 1 month later...

Perhaps Jill can comment on this. I've just been watching Univesity Challenge, the Christmas sessions that I recorded, unsurprisingly over Christmas. One of the questions asked to name the artist of various paintings with a harvest theme. One that came up was this...

https://goo.gl/images/ZW9RJ9

I'm sure this used to be a picture displayed somewhere at Berridge. I'm not sure why I should recall this but does it ring a bell with you?

I recall that another print displayed at school was 'Bubbles' as used in the vintage soap advert.

Sorry, letsavagoo, I don't recall either of those prints being displayed at Berridge, nor any other pictures. The only picture I recall seeing was the one presented to Miss E A Smith, the infants' Headmistress on her retirement and I can't recall what it was.

In conversation with a friend over lunch today, he mentioned a David Juggins who, apparently, attended Berridge. He would be a few years older than I but the name Juggins rings a bell. Letsavagoo may be around the same age. Ring any bells with you?

• 1 month later...

School colours were black and amber, not black and gold/yellow as has been mentioned. I have tried searches for a black and amber scarf to wear for the school visit that Jill has organised, but no luck.  A long shot, but does anyone still have a Berridge scarf?

To be honest, PP, I can't recall anyone wearing uniform when I was at Berridge. All my school photos bear this out. Yet I was aware of the uniform colours and on some older photos, girls are wearing gymslips but that may or may not be part of the uniform.

Only a couple of lads wore uniform = black blazer and grey trousers. Mum bought me a blazer and sewed the Berridge badge on it - but it was to good to wear for school! When I was awarded the school colours she was very proud of me and sewed the 'Honoris Causa' {sp) badge under the school badge. Trouble was I had grown out of the blazer and had to stop wearing it - got embarrassing walking around with my arms stuck out like a scarcrow and sleeves ending at the elbows :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 25 January 2019 at 3:51 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

In conversation with a friend over lunch today, he mentioned a David Juggins who, apparently, attended Berridge. He would be a few years older than I but the name Juggins rings a bell. Letsavagoo may be around the same age. Ring any bells with you?

Only just spotted this Jill. I was at Forest Fields GS with Dave Juggins although I cannot recall him being at Berridge. I've bumped into him a few times over the years but haven't seen him now for 20 years or so. He's still around, in fact I exchanged messages with his wife on a FFGS Facebook group a couple of months ago.

Does anyone remember Mrs Platts from Berridge? She never taught me but I was terrified of her. Dark, curly hair and seemed quite old. Often did playground duty. I can see her now standing there with the brass bell, wearing her brown lace up brogues and woollen coat with a shawl collar. She lived in one of the Victorian cottages on Prospect Street, just round from Radford Boulevard. They are still there and rather nice. Years later, my sister, Julie, worked with a lady who was married to Mrs Platts son. She was at Berridge when Julie was there so Julie remembered her. I never thought of Mrs Platts as having children of her own but she did, apparently.

She was on playground duty the day I hit Noel James on the nose and it poured with blood! He was bothering me and I hit out at him. He told Mrs Platts I'd hit him and she didn't believe him! 

Today was our Berridge visit. Along with PP Terry, David letsavagoo, my old friend Jane and myself, we had a wonderful time. There have been changes to the old place but it still felt very familiar. The highlight, for me, was going into the former infants' Headmistress's office..which is now the caretaker's domain and finding that the fireplace was still there, along with her Victorian desk, now shoved ignominiously into a corner.  Took me back to my first visit when I was 4 years old. A blazing fire in the grate, whilst the stern Miss Smith peered at me over her desk and decreed that I should start school immediately!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Today was our Berridge visit. Along with PP Terry, David letsavagoo, my old friend Jane and myself, we had a wonderful time. 

Any photos ?   Of the people...or at least of the building.