Were you at Berridge?

Very heart stirring memory of your sister looking out for you....  thanks for sharing

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Through this door...and it's the original, although painted black in my day...I walked with my mum one cold morning early in 1962. I was just 4 years old. The door led to Miss Smith's office and my mu

How many Berridge children have secreted themselves inside this niche situated in the playground which fronts the old infant building, hoping to be left behind when the bell rang at playtime's close?

Sitting on this exact spot, facing the stationery cupboard in Mr Parr's classroom, in spring 1969, I sat my 11+ exam.

Posted Images

Yes, it was emotional. I stood outside the Brushfield Street gate earlier in the morning and the memories came gushing back of my mum who passed on 9 years ago.

Oddly, I've discovered that my paternal grandmother, the infamous Kate, lived at 131 Brushfield Street when she was a child. She may even have attended Berridge for a time.

The house has been demolished but stood almost opposite the school gate.

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

Pleased you all found the visit a good experience, Jill.   I think getting emotional about times past is useful as it sometimes brings back new memories - hopefully good ones, but sometimes some not so good ones, sadly..

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

P-20190326-135127.jpg

The old junior entrance, used in 1969 when I left and still in use today.

Berridge is not as spartan as it was in my day. There is now carpet throughout the school and blinds at the windows. Classroom ceilings have been lowered to preserve heat and improve acoustics.

However, the one thing we all noticed was the smell of Carbolic soap! There was none...but the smell remains. It must be ingrained in the fabric of the building!  The rows of washbasins in the entrance vestibule are gone, replaced with receptionists and log in computer screens!

• Like 7
  • Upvote 4

P-20190326-135937-001.jpg

Through this door...and it's the original, although painted black in my day...I walked with my mum one cold morning early in 1962. I was just 4 years old. The door led to Miss Smith's office and my mum wanted to put my name down to begin school in the November when I'd be 5.

Unfortunately for me, there were vacancies and the following week I was at Berridge...almost a year too soon!

P-20190326-140352.jpg

In this fireplace, now bricked up, burned a roaring coal fire.

P-20190326-140344.jpg

And, here, pushed into a corner and covered with dross, is Miss Smith's Victorian desk. It has probably been in this little room since the school was built!

• Like 12
  • Upvote 2

P-20190326-140104.jpg

How many Berridge children have secreted themselves inside this niche situated in the playground which fronts the old infant building, hoping to be left behind when the bell rang at playtime's close?  I know I did. Just for old times' sake, hid in there again on Tuesday!

• Like 9
  • Upvote 3

Berridge School is an impressive building that has stood the test of time. Many schools have been built and demolished during the life of Berridge. Some Nottingham ex pupils unfortunately have no school to visit :(  Of course the heartbeat of a school is it's pupils and teachers and I am proud to say that my old school is vibrant and healthy :biggrin: It was a happy place with the children keen to ask questions and diligently taking notes. The teachers themselves made a difficult job look enjoyable. The children asked about the ethnic mix and religion during my time there and they were obviously aware of how times have changed. This is an Asian area and the classes were mainly of Asian extract. About half the teachers were Asian which helped with any language problems. I sincerely hope that the pupils will look back with pride at their old school and remember how it prepared them for a happy and successful life, as it did for me. 

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Exactly as how schools should be PP. I wish that I'd been available for the visit. Where I lived on Bridlington St , it was a toss up between there and Windley. Luckily, I got in at Berridge, which was nearer.

From what bits I can remember, my short time there was enjoyable. ( 1954 - 56, in the juniors) Then having passed my 11+, I went to FFGS, which I detested.

Thanks Jill for a most enjoyable and inspiring topic. Well done you  :congrats:

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I am indeed, CT. 3rd row back, 4th from the right.

For those who weren't able to be there, we have been invited back...because we behaved nicely and thanked everyone for letting us visit.  So, there could be another trip!

• Like 4
36 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I am indeed, CT. 3rd row back, 4th from the right.

Dare I say,A young looking Elizabeth Taylor lookalike !!!!!

Rog

Those big hair bows have made a comeback, Jill.   Our granddaughter has several, as have other girls at her

school.  These days they clip on instead of tie on

I met my friend, Jane, at around 10.10 on Tuesday morning outside Berridge. We were slightly early, so walked down to Brushfield Street. As we stood there, a woman came walking along and she turned out to be the girl who is sitting on the other side of me on the 1963 photo!  She still lives in the area. The odd thing was that she hasn't changed. Just looks older! We're all now 61 instead of 5.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Thinking about the residents of Bobbers Mill Road after my visit a couple of weeks ago, I recalled the North family.  They had two girls, Katherine who was my sister's age, born around 1950 and Maureen who was younger but older than me, possibly born around 1954. Both dark haired and both would have attended Berridge. Letsavagoo might remember Maureen.

Tragedy struck when Maureen was 13 and she died. I believe she'd had rheumatic fever or something similar and it damaged her heart. Everyone was very shocked and I remember wondering if I would die when I turned 13!

After Maureen's death, the Norths moved to Summerwood Lane in Clifton. That would be around 1967ish. Somewhere, I have a photo of Katherine, Maureen, my sister and I. They were a lovely family.

• 7 months later...

Being the interminably nosey creature I am, I've been doing a bit of research into two Berridge headteachers, both of whom were in situ during my time but others may also remember them.

Firstly, John William Baugh.  I suspect there's an unpleasant story behind the facts I've found and it has made me feel rather sad because he was a lovely chap and I liked him very much.

Born in Nottingham on 27 November 1913 to William Henry Baugh and Margaret Mary Baugh, nee Lynch.

Father was a Nottingham man and mother was born in County Cork, Ireland.  Father was a joiner's's labourer and, in 1911, the family lived at 8 Lamcote Terrace, off Lamcote Street, The Meadows.

On 22 September 1923, at the age of 9, John William Baugh was put aboard the SS Regina, bound for Quebec, with the aim of settling there. He travelled alone and his passage was paid for by his father. His destination was the home of a Mrs Lowe of 583 Richard Street, a friend of the family.  Young Baugh was able to read, his religion was given as CofE and, oddly, his nearest living relative in the UK was given as Mrs Alice Baugh, grandmother, of 110 Glapton Street, Nottingham...yet both his parents were still alive!! His father died in 1961 and his mother in 1978, only 2 years before John William Baugh himself.

Why on earth was he sent away like this?

By 1939, John William was back in the UK, living at 110 Glapton Street with his grandmother.  He was employed as a Tobacco Despatch Clerk and was 25 years old.

Baugh's grandparents were, according to the 1901 census, Benjamin Baugh, a leather tresser, born in London and Alice Baugh, born in Newark, Notts. In 1901, they resided at 11 Florence Street, The Meadows.

Presumably, conscription into the forces was imminent and after the war, apparently, John William Baugh became a teacher.

In 1940, he married Nellie O White but I can find no children.  They lived, at Mr Baugh's death, at 158 Ribblesdale Road in Sherwood.  He died on 23 April 1980 after not much of a retirement.

Perhaps he was sent away because he wasn't wanted or perhaps it was because William Henry was not his biological father. Whatever the reason, it wasn't the child's fault and his treatment seems incredibly cruel.

The headmistress of the Berridge Infant School was Miss Evelyn Ada Smith born on 25 December 1905 in Nottingham to George Prew Smith and Kate, nee Wilkinson.

In 1911, the family lived at 2 Mosley Terrace, Prospect Street, Radford.  The census shows Evelyn, her sister Beatrice and brother Robert living with their mother Kate, who was of private means. She wasn't a widow but her husband isn't present.

I remember the cottages where the family lived, just around the corner from Churchfield Lane. They were very quaint but were demolished many years ago.

By 1939, Evelyn was an elementary school teacher, living as a lodger in the house of Mr and Mrs Bish at 102 Shakespeare Street in Nottingham. Mr Bish was a dispensing chemist.

Sadly, Evelyn died on 15 March 1968 of cancer. Again, she had virtually no retirement. I recall the announcement being made in assembly.

We tend to forget that those who teach us had their own lives, trials and tribulations!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

In 1911, the family lived at 2 Mosley Terrace, Prospect Street, Radford.  The census shows Evelyn, her sister Beatrice and brother Robert living with their mother Kate, who was of private means. She wasn't a widow but her husband isn't present.

I remember the cottages where the family lived, just around the corner from Churchfield Lane. They were very quaint but were demolished many years ago.

My grandparents lived on Grimston Road and my grandad's local was The Pheasant on Prospect Street. Where exactly was Mosley Terrace ? It isn't marked on any old maps; I suspect it was the site which became the Player's car park.

As you turn into Prospect Street from the Churchfield Lane end, there was a row of very old terraced cottages on your left, set back from the road. I'd say they were Victorian or possibly older.  Even as a young child, I was drawn to them because they seemed very picturesque to me.  They were demolished around 1965ish.  Earlier this year, I walked along Prospect Street and stood opposite the site where they stood. It is now built over...and it looked better prior to 1965!