Were you at Berridge?

12 hours ago, Baznotinnotts said:

lovely green and cream buses on Maid Marion Way to reach my assigned school

Could well be then that you got on one of my buses. So there you go,small world innit? 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Through this door...and it's the original, although painted black in my day...I walked with my mum one cold morning early in 1962. I was just 4 years old. The door led to Miss Smith's office and my mu

How many Berridge children have secreted themselves inside this niche situated in the playground which fronts the old infant building, hoping to be left behind when the bell rang at playtime's close?

Sitting on this exact spot, facing the stationery cupboard in Mr Parr's classroom, in spring 1969, I sat my 11+ exam.

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Baznotinnotts said:

.... for no apparent reason decided to teach, so I applied to Clifton as my first choice of college, and in late September 1967, head full of D.H.L. and Alan Sillitoe arrived at Huntingdon Street bus station,.....at a place seen by locals on Clifton estate as a bit of a holiday camp ... 

You're now reading a post from one of those locals :rolleyes:.  In September 1967 I was in my early years at Fairham Comp, having grown up on Clifton - and destined to continue there for a few more years.

We lived at the bottom end of Clifton near the college, and I knew that area very well.

We always referred to that area as Glapton. Someone once told the full name of the estate used to be Clifton by Glapton or something similar.

Interesting article here

https://www.ntualumni.org.uk/news_and_events/news_archive/life_on_the_clifton_campus_in_the_1960s

about Clifton College. Jean Nicholson may be the Jean Nicholson I knew and whose grandchildren I taught! As Beekay says, it's a small world!  Lovely lady and highly knowledgeable local historian. I don't know whether she is still alive.

Edited to add, just checked and she passed on in 2017.

1 hour ago, Brew said:

We always referred to that area as Glapton. Someone once told the full name of the estate used to be Clifton by Glapton or something similar.

On old maps before the estate was built, it's sometimes marked as Clifton-with-Glapton. The two villages were only separated by the 'main' road.

1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Another coincidence - the lady who wrote that says she previously worked in a factory on Daykene Street; in my early working life I also worked at a place on Daykene Street (but not an embroidery factory).

14 hours ago, katyjay said:

Baz, this Ron Watchorn I do believe lived Harby way, not a million miles from Melton. Incidently my eldest son was born in Melton, St Mary's Hospital.

Yes, that's the hospital I was hatched in, a former workhouse ...

When at Berridge the other student teacher did not turn up so I took his place on a visit to Nottingham Castle.  I remember there was someone called Mortimer who had a hole, and at one point all the lights were turned off in a cave and it was all very interesting.

Barry, I have found a photo of the parallel class for autumn term 1967. The teacher was Mr Parnham but there is also a student who is, in all probability, one of your Clifton College colleagues. I have asked Cliff Ton to post that also.

Do you recall Trevor Williams, one of the year 6 teachers?

I remember doing the visit to what my home city risibly terms a castle but it was, I believe, much earlier in the juniors, with Mrs Pryce who was lovely. I spent two years in the second year juniors, having been sent ahead a year due to high numbers.

Roger De Mortimer and his paramour who ended up incarcerated st Castle Rising in Norfolk for her infidelities! History has always been a favourite subject of mine, despite the best efforts of Manning to cure me of it.

We were planning a return visit to Berridge in March this year but the pesky virus put paid to that. Possibly next March, dv, as the group was very much looking forward to it.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

D H Lawrence, eh?  I believe he once taught at Greasley Beauvale School.

You were correct Jill, In that Lawrence did teach for a while after a severe illness but not at Greasley Beaauvale. He was a pupil teacher at the British School, Eastwood. He went on to become a full-time student and gained a teaching certificate.

This is the photo which was posted by Jill Sparrow in November 2016 but had subsequently disappeared due to Photobucket being awkward.

XNTk0Y7.jpg

I'm sure Jill will be along soon to explain everything about it.

Yes, here we all are. Most of us were around 10 years old here. Our new member, Baznotinnotts, is standing on the right and our class teacher, Mr Chandler, on the left.

I'm wearing my pink dress with white collar and cuffs, from CandA, no less.

Many thanks, CT, for your kind offices. I have sent CT the parallel photo, showing the rest of our year, which depicts their student teacher who, I'm sure, will be known to Baz.

I can't disagree with that. You were rather thin.

I often think back to Trevor Williams who only seemed to own the clothes he stood up in. He once took off his black winklepicker shoes and pointed out the holes in their soles when I was telling him about Bread and Lard Island, ie West Bridgford, where he lived.  Being from Wigan, he wasnt familiar with that term. Teachers were paid very little in those days.

15 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I have sent CT the parallel photo, showing the rest of our year, which depicts their student teacher who, I'm sure, will be known to Baz.

And this is the photo in question.

ec7Gt3k.jpg

Many thanks, CT.

Here we have

Back row from left:  Christopher Riley, Kevin Green, Ian Munro, Colin Richardson, ?, Peter Witney, Sabhjit Gill, Trevor Wigglesworth, ?

Next row: Kenneth Smith, Alex Smulkowski, David Webb, Susan McDermott, Jayne Topham, Georgina Roebuck, Lynn Bartle, Bernice Bond, ?, ?

Next row:  Jane Handfield, Kim Wyer, Alison Smith, Kim Machin, Janice Clarke, Hortense Gayle, Jocelyn Smith, ?, Jane Smith

Front row: Harminder Singh, Jeffrey Smith, ?, ?, ?, Geoffrey Hollington, ?, Rennival Carruthers

Teacher is Mr Parnham, to the right.

Student teacher on placement, name unknown, to the left.

2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Student teacher on placement, name unknown, to the left.

Not known from, er, that guy with Eve, forget his name. Don't remember any of the teachers, except Mr. G. Chandler, who had a quick and wicked sense of humour and seemed to enjoy being at school. Something to do with 'Duke of Earl', a reference only known by those listening to Luxembourg under the sheets.

B.

I've just been leafing through my childhood autograph book. Whom should I find lurking in there, on a page all to himself? Best Wishes, Barry Watchorn.  1967.

Anyone know Sotheby's phone number?  It has to be worth a mint, possibly with a hole in the centre!

16 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

my childhood autograph book

Do you not also have the signed photograph of me with the other Beatles, making a surprise appearance at The Beachcomber Club? Any cheques with my signature from that time are also valuable e.g. Pay Miltons Head Hotel 2 shillings and sixpence, for five nights stay. When I started full time at the chalk face my handwriting was judged to be inadequate, because the new boss insisted on everything being written in italic. As you can see from my beautiful italic writing in this reply I still have brilliant calligraphic skills.

B.

Virtually all the. teachers at Berridge signed my autograph book, including some I never asked to do so and who never taught me: Kempy, Parr, Bartlett, Parnham and Anderson!

The Oscar for best handwriting goes to Mrs June Pryce. Beautiful copper plate calligraphy. Head teacher, J W Baugh's writing is very neat and fluid. Parnham's is almost illegible. Kemp's dominates the page but then he came across as fairly domineering a personality. Watchorn's is a bit loopy and untidy but quite legible.

I should add myself to the roll call, albeit briefly.  We lived on Grundy Street and I went to Berridge infants late 1962 or early 1963 (aged about 5).  It can only have been one or two terms because we moved to Basford mid-1963.

My only recollection of Berridge was an aversion to using the outside lavs.  From time to time I would go home at afternoon playtime to use the lav there (also outdoor) and didn't return to school.  As far as I know I wasn't missed!

Fascinating, @The Engineer. You are probably on one of the early photos and may be a child I can't name. There are a few. I would love to know what your name is so I can add it to my records. PM me if you would like to tell me who you are. Yes, those lavatories were terrifying. I think we were all quite badly scared by them. I know I was! I knew Richard Sewell who lived on Grundy Street but he was at Berridge right through the infants before moving to Highbury Vale.

Do you see yourself here? Possibly, front row, extreme left or back row, extreme right. Two boys I can't name and who don't appear on any later photos.

Made me smile at the thought of you going home at afternoon play time. Just slip out of the gate onto Brushfield Street. It was never locked. Not so today. It's now controlled by security key pads and an intercom!

Life was much more relaxed in 1962!

P-20161024-101924-001.jpg

P-20190326-142452.jpg

Plastic windows and murals but little else has changed...except we've all grown up. Front row, 5th from the left is me. 6th from the left is Jane who came along on Tuesday