Were you at Berridge?

Summer 1955.

Left to right:  Pat Holt, Raymond Henson, Glennys Wells, Eric Ingle, Sylvia Robinson and  Melvyn York.

Interesting footnote to this photo. Eric Ingle's parents, apparently,  kept the sweet shop on the corner of Berridge Road and Oakland Street at this time.  I knew the shop slightly later on when it was kept by the lovely Mr and Mrs Merriman. I would imagine it changed hands in the late 50s.

I know PeverilPeril was familiar with this shop during his time at Berridge and he may recall the Ingles.

The Merrimans emigrated to Australia in the early 70s to join family already out there.

Image originally posted by Glennys Wells.

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Through this door...and it's the original, although painted black in my day...I walked with my mum one cold morning early in 1962. I was just 4 years old. The door led to Miss Smith's office and my mu

How many Berridge children have secreted themselves inside this niche situated in the playground which fronts the old infant building, hoping to be left behind when the bell rang at playtime's close?

Sitting on this exact spot, facing the stationery cupboard in Mr Parr's classroom, in spring 1969, I sat my 11+ exam.

Posted Images

Can't see the Photo Jill ?...but i can tell you about Eric Ingle...my mate at Padstow,,,his mam and Dad kept the Paper Shop,Post office on Andover road,,Bestwood estate,,,Eric was in my class,,,he married a girl off Andover road Barbara Webb.....Sadly last time i saw them was early 2000's ,,Eric was in the same ward as my Dad at City Hospital....and he Passed away not long after...............

Not sure why you can't see the photo, Ben. I can see it.

Interesting information re Eric Ingle. His family obviously moved to your area and sold the shop to the Merrimans!

That's what I love about this site. There's always someone who can add information to a name. It's a small world!

Yes,,the Ingle's were a nice family,,,Eric had a brother John who went to High Pavement,,last i heard (saw) John he was living in Bestwood Village not long ago,,,

Eric was a big good looking lad so didnt let him come out at night with us in case he cramped my style,,lol,,

• Like 1

I recall Eric showing us his new Motorbike,,,thought it was a Tiger Cub''.....could be wrong,,,i had a paper round too for them,,,12/6 per week  ,,,did Leybourne and Southglade...........

Ben I did Arnold road, Arnside, Torbay then then quite a few on the then new Bestwood Park Estate for 14 bob a week, I feel sure it was a BSA C15, but it might have been the one of his brother.

Originally posted by Glennys Wells, this was taken in Summer 1955 and includes Susan Moore whose mother was, at that time, the school Secretary, Jean Foster and Lesley Harriman.

In my day, the school Secretary was Mrs J A Davies, a lovely lady who was at Berridge for many years.

I’m putting the photos are on an external photo hosting site. I can’t say why you aren’t seeing them. Perhaps your security settings and or anti virus are blocking them but suspect it’s something your end rather then here. 

I don't get any 'brighter' with age  ''DAH',,,,,,,Thanks mi-duck i see young Eric now...........

• Like 1

Funny how a topic on here can lead to memories of entirely different things,,,been thinking about Eric since Jill mentioned him.

I remember him coming to Padstow i think in the 3rd year,,,he was a good sporting lad,,he played Cricket and football for Padstow,,not a bad goalkeeper, being the tallest in the year.

We joined the Coop youth club together (coop arts centre on broad st) most of our old class did,just after leaving school,,had some great times there,,,lots of dancing and football,,,remember Eric having a fight in the toilets with a little hard nut whose name eludes me,,Foster i think.  Eric lost and i cleaned him up bless him.........Also remember Eric getting the 'Strap' for walking on the grass at Padstow,,,imagine that today............Over the ensuing years only saw him on odd occasions,,i was canvassing for new business for 'VG' stores about 1975 and came across him at a shop he ran with his brother in Spondon,,,also met up at a school re-union about 1986,,,then the last time at City Hospital.........Think in his latter years he worked for the Ilkeston funeral directors.......lovely bloke passed too soon...............

• Like 1

Its ok Cliff ton,,,i also am seeing them all,,,it was just me being a bit thick............

• Like 1

Jill and I have agreed a system. I’m uploading the images and Jill is providing what information there is below them. Sorry if this has caused some confusion. I should have explained.

Here’s another Berridge group. Jill will comment with her research on it.

9-A843-F3-C-0-AEA-4-F0-B-BC8-A-EA8-FEBD4

• Like 1

Second row back, third from the right is almost certainly my older sister, although she's grimacing!  This puts the image at first year juniors, academic year 1957/8.  My sister still has an old school exercise book from this time which notes, on 02 December 1957, that her baby sister was born during the weekend!

Teacher is possibly Mrs Peat, a hard number who wasn't much liked.