Were you at Berridge?

This appears to have been taken around the same time as the netball team photo I posted on 24th October. This time a winning stoolball team. Miss Shaw the proud teacher. Can’t quite read the date. Maybe 1973

40154-A36-02-CF-4633-BBAD-3-DC6-C79809-B

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Through this door...and it's the original, although painted black in my day...I walked with my mum one cold morning early in 1962. I was just 4 years old. The door led to Miss Smith's office and my mu

How many Berridge children have secreted themselves inside this niche situated in the playground which fronts the old infant building, hoping to be left behind when the bell rang at playtime's close?

Sitting on this exact spot, facing the stationery cupboard in Mr Parr's classroom, in spring 1969, I sat my 11+ exam.

Posted Images

Yes Jill. Woodwork shop on the left and science lab on the right. I loved being in both of them. It wasn't like school or lessons at all. Just places I liked to be spending time in. I would have gone in during the holidays had they been open.

I spent the autumn term of 1967 and the spring term of 68 in your former science lab, PP, whilst alterations were underway in the main building.

In the photo, they still look to be in reasonable condition. By 1984, the centenary year,they were gone. I don't know when they actually went.

• Like 1

Yep, I was at Berridge around 1954.  I think the headmaster's name was a Mr Griffiths, the youngest HM in England at the time, I was led to believe.  I can remember the school entering us students into Fry's painting competition in '55 or '56 and I won first prize.  It was a huge hamper full of chocs, and I spent the next fortnight taking bars of chocolate to school to share around.  I also remember a teacher called Mrs Parrot.  Evil.  Whacked me so hard on the back of my leg with a ruler it snapped, leaving a huge welt behind my knee...  

• Like 1

Mr Griffiths was head of the juniors in my sister's time. He left in 1961.  For my research into the history of Berridge staff, I have been unable to trace him. He was D A Griffiths but I don't know his Christian names.

I have heard of Mrs Parrot but she wasn't there in my time.  There are many Berridge photos on this thread. You may be on some of them. In any case, I'd be interested to hear your memories of the school, Okay MDuck.

• Like 1

Taken around 1969 in the infant school.

Photo shows the Hollington twins, Michael and Elaine, born early in 1962, a girl named Della, surname unknown and the girl standing at the back is believed to be another Elaine.  She may be Elaine Heawood who was in that year group and whose older brother, John, was in my year.

The Hollington twins had an older brother, Geoffrey, who was in my year, and an older sister, Carol, who presumably became Carol Bridgeman, the original poster of this image.

• 5 weeks later...

This appeared in the Nottingham obituaries today:

Joy Patricia MaryISAAC(nee Smith) Joy Isaac passed away peacefully on November 29th in her care home in the Yorkshire Dales, aged 91. Mrs Isaac will be remembered by many as a dedicated and inspiring teacher at Berridge Road, Hogarth and Robert Shaw Primary Schools

Mrs Isaac taught my sister and, I'm sure, many others at Berridge in the mid 50s.

• 5 weeks later...

1966. Teacher Alan Parr in what must have been his first year in his first post.

Front row, second from the right is Margaret Beardsall and behind her is Ian Amos.

Colin Dunn 4th right middle row. Next but one to Colin moving right could be Tony Greeves then Peter Flowers and next but one, the big lad Roman Andriesco. The boy on the very end is called Norman surname unknown.

According to the poster on Facebook, also in this photo are: Sue Tunnicliffe, Leanna Shardlow, Glynis Johns, Ann Bannister, Peter Gilling, Lynn Wallis and Mick Langton.

This image has appeared on this forum a while ago but I’m reposting this much better quality image I came across today.

Mr Kemp is the teacher, feared by all.

Back row left to right.

Gary Martin ? ? Jeff English? ? Philip Machin 

Middle row.

? ? Leonard Smith something Singleton Hubert Oliver ? ? Jed Whitchurch ?

Front row.

Karen Pullen ? Jean Edis Kim Herod sharon something Ann Whitchurch ? Margaret Melonachenko (spelt) ?

64107-F98-3896-4-DBD-A641-B07-CECA7-A82-

I was in the parallel class with Mrs Pryce at this time. I and five of my peers were sent up one year due to high numbers. Apart from Hubert Oliver, I can't remember having contact with any of these children.  Oliver was a bit of a handful to say the least but he'd have met more than his match in Kempy!

Class 3 Berridge about 1972. Teacher is Miss Jake later became Mrs Brown on marriage. This is from Facebook so credit to Helen Ayton who posted it. I haven’t asked her permission but as it’s on Facebook I assume she will not mind. Jill has the names and will doubtless post them in due course.

EEDB7-AE0-8990-4-A82-A40-D-11892-F2-F59-

Names, in no particular order:

Javid Khan, Khurshid Ayoub, Elaine Hollington, Mick Hollington, Della Shipston, Elaine Clements, Chris Holbrook, Ian Walker, Gayle Shaw and Peter Kurylec. 

The small black and white group posted earlier of the Hollington twins will be contemporaneous with this image.  Della Shipston (possibly related to Mark Shipston who was with us on the Berridge visit in 2019) and Elaine Chapman.

The teacher is after my time.
  • 2 weeks later...

Berridge 1970’s. Another from Facebook with credit to Paul Wright who is in the red top. I recognised the boy next to him and my wife was able to name him as Mark Purdy who lived a few door from her.

2-EB84-E9-C-93-F6-4-E64-95-F7-D10-E8-EC2

Yet another from Paul Wright. A Berridge youth hostel field trip to Derbyshire 1970’s. I think that Paul at the back next to the tree. Never had a trip to Derbyshire in my time 59-66.

A88424-FC-2121-43-F0-97-E5-B207-E0-A1-DF

Interesting photos. I don't recognise the teacher on the second one.

In the final year of Berridge, we went on a trip to Castleton, including an excursion down the Blue John Mine. We also went to Dovedale. Mr TTW took one of his female 'cousins' along! Mr Chandler and Miss Stockhill were also among the party.

This photo is of my year at Berridge and is probably Mr Kemp's class. It is the parallel photo to the one I'm on and the academic year is 1966/7. To be honest, there are a lot of people I don't recognise but I'll name the ones I can:

BACK ROW: unknown, unknown, unknown, unknown, Stephen Binns, unknown, Trevor Wigglesworth, unknown

3RD ROW BACK: unknown, Philip Walker, possibly Linda Fletcher, unknown, Susan McDermott, Lorraine Seymour, ? Unknown, unknown

2ND ROW BACK: Jane Handfield, Ann Green, Kim Machin, Janice Clarke, unknown, unknown,  Possibly Yvonne Cutts,, Jane Smith

FRONT ROW: Geoffrey Hollington, Adrian Bell, Christopher Holbrook, possibly John Thorpe,  unknown, Kenneth Smith, unknown, unknown.

It would be nice if someone could fill in the blanks.

Originator of the photo is Noel James, who for some reason isn't on it!

Berridge Juniors. 1973. Class 5. Mixed year group of 2nd and 3rd years. Teacher is Mr Watson. Photo courtesy Pav Khan facebook.

I’ve edited the various replies to the Fb post to include the names.

If my memory serves me right, Alan Baker to my right, then ,Andrew Layton, Carlton ?, Mark Chapman, Albert Daniels, Andrew McDermott, ? , Steven Hutchinson
Jane Holmes,Sharon Kerraine, ? , Denise ? , Yolanda Ranaczek, Michelle Smith,?,?, Mr Watson
Glenda Dooley, Sonia Marchbank(I think),? ,?, Tracey Redman, Michelle Parsley , ? , ? .

I think that's Narinder Hari next to Andrew McDermott, in second row 2nd from Jane Holmes is Carleen Gayle, then Julie Hawksley I think. Front right is same girl as in Denise Green. 

D8-CAACA8-57-D6-45-BF-8897-D13-EF657-A26