Were you at Berridge?

It's done in conjunction with their Berridge history project, Beekay. Ticks a number of boxes on their National curriculum requirements. They can ask questions of us who were pupils over fifty years ago and compare/contrast our experience with their own in the present day. It's a valuable resource for the school and a trip down memory lane for us!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Through this door...and it's the original, although painted black in my day...I walked with my mum one cold morning early in 1962. I was just 4 years old. The door led to Miss Smith's office and my mu

How many Berridge children have secreted themselves inside this niche situated in the playground which fronts the old infant building, hoping to be left behind when the bell rang at playtime's close?

Sitting on this exact spot, facing the stationery cupboard in Mr Parr's classroom, in spring 1969, I sat my 11+ exam.

Posted Images

Thank you. I often wish Radford Boulevard school did the same sort of thing. Perhaps it's because I left in 1958, that for me, it's just a pipe dream. Many thanks Jill.   B.

Jill, the building itself is still there but looks likes it's been unused for ages. The structure has been discussed before on this forum. I've seen pictures of inside on here. I have asked Mr.Google before, as to whether there is anything about the school. There did used to be a 'Radford Old Scholars Association ', but I think this may have fizzled out. In the few years I've been on here, I've never found anyone who went there. However, I do remember quite a few names.

So if any of you out there remember "Kingy ".

15 minutes ago, Beekay said:

I have asked Mr.Google before, as to whether there is anything about the school. There did used to be a 'Radford Old Scholars Association ', but I think this may have fizzled out.

I know you aren't a member, but this is the kind of subject which Facebook does very well.

There are FB Groups for probably every school in Nottingham (past or present), and also FB Groups for specific areas of Nottingham. Thanks to them, I've been in touch with many people who I last had contact with 50+ years ago.

And there's always someone who has photos to prove what you looked like back then.

@Beekay  We all said yesterday how fortunate we were that Berridge not only still exists as a building, it is still a working school. Many of similar age have been demolished or rendered redundant by modern rebuilds which won't last nearly as long. Lucky for us!

Grimston Road is still there, as well CT. I know because I walked the length of it yesterday before visiting St Peter's church three days before what would have been my parents' 73rd wedding anniversary!

11 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Grimston Road is still there, as well CT. I know because I walked the length of it yesterday before visiting St Peter's church three days before what would have been my parents' 73rd wedding anniversary!

My mother grew up on Grimston Rd, and was married in the church down the road.

CT., I too went to Douglas school, 1948 -1954. When starting at Boulevard, dinners were always taken at parts of Cottesmore school. We also used to have some prefab classrooms there for certain lessons. Us oiks used to think the proper part of Cottesmore was for posh kids. I would have thought your mum would have gone to Lenton primary, which was nearer to Willoughby Street. After all, Douglas would have been a fair old trek for little legs.   B.

They moved from Willoughby Street area to Grimston Road around 1936-37.

That would've coincided with my mum hitting secondary school age. Cottesmore was obviously very close to Willoughby Street so presumably she started there as her nearest 'local'.

If they'd moved to Grimston Rd earlier, maybe she would've gone to another school.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2022 at 1:31 PM, Beekay said:

Thank you. I often wish Radford Boulevard school did the same sort of thing. 

This photo has come via Jill S, borrowed from a Facebook Group for Radford. It's Radford Boulevard School, Mrs Brown's class, in 1952....who appear to be all girls.

ALvMSUm.jpg

I thought this might interest Beekay, among others.

This photo dates from around 1952. There are names provided but it isn't very clear which girls they apply to. I would also treat spellings with a certain amount of caution. I reproduce what was given, below:

Teacher- Gertrude Barber, though there seems to be some doubt over this. Class 1A

Janice Sawdon - row 2, tall girl in dark clothing. Barbara Radford - row 2, 2nd left.

Top row- Val Lees, ?, Carlene Harmer, ?, ?, Audrey Hunt, Yvonne Cheatle, Anne Smith, Veronica Wilkinson (Vicky).

Others, in no order:. Sandra Lovell, Georgina Wright, Margaret Robey, Elaine Sugarman, Maureen Bradshaw, Diane Addley, Ruth Keetley, Margaret Brown, Ann Whiley and Janice Woodhead.

Random checking on a few names I could find suggest this is a mixed age group, born between September 1941 and 1943.

They were all girls Kev., same building but we weren't mixed. Boys one side, girls the other. Never the twain shall meet.    B.

Since some of these girls are younger than ten years old, I assume this was a primary school, Beekay?

Do you recognize any names?

Perhaps, now this photo has emerged, it might prompt others.

It were a bit before my time Jill. I think I were still at Douglas. I didn't get to  boulevard until '53. My older brother Keith was there though. But he wornt in the girls.   B.

• 3 weeks later...

Miss Gertrude May Stockill on the right. Taught at Berridge for many years and still alive, living in her native Yorkshire.  No idea who the lady on the left is.  This was taken the year after I left. These children were born between September 1960 to August 1961.  I wonder whether @mercurydancerIs on here?

The same class as the above photo but a year or so earlier so possibly 1968/9. Again my sister in law, Karen Flint is in the same spot, middle row 4th from left.

2-E642939-D5-A4-4-FE4-B6-AC-538-BE5842-F

I think that the first one is the final year 1969/70.  Paul Facey, back row 4th from right. Front row, far right, seated, Wesley McDonald, brother of Dennis who was in my year.

The second one is indeed 1968/9. Paul Facey in the same place, too.

The chairs were from the brand new library at the top of the stairs!

The above is a photo I've been seeking for at least a couple of years. Final year at Berridge for my year, 1968/9.

A list of names has been compiled from various sources, as:

Back row: James Scothon, Jeffrey Wiley, * surname Bradley, Christopher Riley, Gary Wood, Christopher Fox, Colin Richardson, *Anthony Franks, Neville Eccles, Gordon Pearson, Stephen Binns, * surname Singh, *Paul surname unknown (possibly Passam?)

Middle row:. Martyn Jewers, Trevor Huddleston, Peter Bower, Avis Fowler, Linda Fletcher, Doreth Campbell, Lorraine Seymour, Ann Green, Alex Smulkowski, Adrian Bell, Geoffrey Hollington, Eric Taylor

Front row: Bernice Bond, Winsome Eccles, Lynn Bartle, *Elaine Watts, Yvonne Cutts, Debbie Noon, Jane Handfield, Alison Smith, Janice Clark

Anything marked with * shows a name I don't know or can't verify. This was the other half of my year but not my class.

The class teacher was Alan Parr but, sadly, he's not on the photo.

• 2 weeks later...