Were you at Berridge?

12 hours ago, Marrowman said:

Grandma and Grandad lived on Pleasant Row and I remember they had a well in the back garden.

This, apparently, is Pleasant Row; obviously named by someone with a sense of humour. I assume these are the fronts of the houses, but it's not obvious.

t3v1kMe.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Through this door...and it's the original, although painted black in my day...I walked with my mum one cold morning early in 1962. I was just 4 years old. The door led to Miss Smith's office and my mu

How many Berridge children have secreted themselves inside this niche situated in the playground which fronts the old infant building, hoping to be left behind when the bell rang at playtime's close?

Sitting on this exact spot, facing the stationery cupboard in Mr Parr's classroom, in spring 1969, I sat my 11+ exam.

Posted Images

Welcome @MarrowmanFrom another former Berridge pupil.  I would love to see the photo although I didn't darken the doors of Berridge until the beginning of 1962. My sister was still there in 1960.  As to Pleasant Row, my father as an apprentice worked for a man who was born there: Alfred Sheen. It may have overlooked what was still a very rural area when first built and, therefore, been considered pleasant.

I'll try to post the Berridge Road photo later, looking after the granddaughter at the moment! Re Pleasant Row, I don't remember what the street looked like apart from the church on the corner which is still there. I notice that the terrace has some lace makers windows at the top. I think that they've all gone now, replaced by 1960s style housing. 

• Like 1

Hello, I have installed postimage on my computer now but I still can't attach the image as it says the file is too big. So I'm back to square one! Has anyone  got any ideas?

Are you looking at the text at the bottom of the reply box..........where you see a paper clip and "Drag files here to attach....."  ?

Ignore that. If you're using Postimage you don't use the paper clip at all.

Hello Folks, Sorry for the delay in replying, I shouldn't have started this just before I was about to have my tea! I know hardly anything about computers, I was a postie before I retired and didn't need one in that job! In answer to Beekay I have a HP laptop and it runs on microsoft edge. Its only two years old so its pretty much up to date. I sent three images at once by email to my mate without any trouble so I can't understand why I can't put one image on here. The file size is 1.04mb. Is there any way of compressing it?

In answer to Letsavagoo, thanks for the offer to help. I will send you my email address seperately.

Thanks all, sorry for being an ignoramus!

I’m posting this on behalf of Marrowman. I’ve attached the info he previously posted but had difficulty including the image.

I found this picture of Berridge Road infants in 1960. I hope that you can see it as I found it very difficult to load as the maximum size for a file on this website is only 50kb which is really small. (Sorry to gripe!). Anyway, I was 5 years old at the time of this picture. I lived on Middlothian Terrace which was behind Gregory Boulevard. The street is long gone. I was only at Berridge Road for a few months as Mam and Dad managed to get a brand new council house at Bestwood. It was quite an upheaval moving as all the rest of the family lived in and around Hyson Green. Grandma and Grandad lived on Pleasant Row and I remember they had a well in the back garden. Grandad had a garden (they weren't called allotments) on Wilkinson Street to which I absolutely loved going, to help Grandad out. We didn't stay at Bestwood long as Mam and Dad didn't like it there so they managed to get an exchange to Aspley. Me and my brother didn't want to move as we liked playing on the building site where all the new council houses were going up!

I have some pictures of William Crane school but I will see if this message gets through Ok before I post them.

Thanks for letting me join the website.

IMG-7358.jpg

Certainly recognise 3 boys and 1 of the girls on this, a couple of whom are on my later class photos. I need to compare. Not sure of names but it’s been a while. 

Thanks very much to Letsavagoo for loading this image for me.

Sadly I can't remember the name of the teacher. My parents have both passed away so I can't ask them and they never thought to annotate the backs of any of my school photos. I am 3rd from left in the middle row sporting a crew cut! As I said, I was only there a few months so don't remember too much about it although I think there was one boy there with a surname of Pye (possibly 2nd from right, middle row) and the name Johnny Grice seems to stick in my memory but I'm not sure which one he is.

One thing about Berridge Road that I do remember was climbing on a water butt in the playground and falling in! The teacher on duty fished me out but of course I was wet through! So she took me inside and took my clothes off to dry but of course I had no other clothes at school so she put me in her navy blue netball knickers which came up to my neck and I had to sit in class like that until my clothes were sufficiently dry! It's a wonder I wasn't scarred for life!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, Marrowman said:

there was one boy there with a surname of Pye (possibly 2nd from right, middle row) and the name Johnny Grice seems to stick in my memory but I'm not sure which one he is.

Possibly Philip Pye. The only Grices I can find for this age group are Robert and Michael.

Not certain but I think the boy in the middle of the back row is Richard Bradley and the girl next to him could be Karen Fox. Middle row, 2nd left is possibly Peter Flowers. 

It has been suggested that the teacher may be a Mrs Skillbeck.  I know there was a Mr Skillbeck who taught Berridge Senior Boys but I haven't heard of a Mrs Skillbeck teaching infants. However, this is 2/3 years before my time. Turnover in infant teachers was high as most were young and left to get married/have children.

The children on this photo were five years old and possibly  in their first term at school.  The end classroom, accessed via a door in the wall immediately adjacent to the Brushfield Street gate, was the domain of those in their first term. It was equipped with sand tray, water tray, clay, painting equipment (including red aprons made of rubber ranged on hooks under a window), pasting equipment, roleplay post office, complete with a real black Bakelite telephone, toys, bricks, etc.  The adjoining classroom was accessed via an interconnecting door and was equipped with books and more formal teaching aids.

As I was only just four when I arrived, I spent three terms in the first classroom. During that time, I watched new faces arrive at the beginning of the first two terms. They were older than I. After a term, they moved onto the next room and more new faces arrived. Eventually, in September of 1962, my contemporaries arrived. That is when I should have begun, instead of which I'd been kicking my heels and was bored out of my wits for nine months. Hence all the screaming and kicking at the school gate each morning.  Nine months goes like the blink of an eye to me these days. Then, it was an eternity.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

First one.  A very lovely picture capturing something of those times. Ties, ladybird shirts, nhs specs, one black child in forty, hope and anticipation for the future.

Thanks to letsavagoo for posting these. Children born between September 1958 and July 1959. This was the year below me. I can't name many, except Ian Humphreys, first photo front row extreme right and second photo middle row standing, second from the right. Stephanie Heason, first photo, third row back, 7th from the left. Second photo, front row seated, 2nd from the left. Second photo taken in the junior playground in 1968/9, first photo taken in the playground on the corner of Berridge Road and Brushfield Street in 1965/6.

Little boys wore bow ties on elastic, usually. The girls would grab the bow, pull it as far from the boy's neck as possible and then let it go. Two things would generally result: the bow snapped back, often hitting the boy in the face or, the elastic snapped! Great fun.

My father sometimes wore a bow tie (not the elasticated variety) when I was a child. He had several dark paisley versions. They looked rather smart.

The only time I wore a bow tie was with a dinner jacket. I always cheated and had a clip on one. No matter how I tried I could never manage to tie a proper one. I’ve not been to a formal dinner in years and gave my dinner suit to our son. Do they still hold ‘black tie’ events?