Were you at Berridge?

You’re obviously not mixing in the right circles any more Phil, my husband and kids  have to get their DJs out of moth balls at least twice a year.  

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Through this door...and it's the original, although painted black in my day...I walked with my mum one cold morning early in 1962. I was just 4 years old. The door led to Miss Smith's office and my mu

How many Berridge children have secreted themselves inside this niche situated in the playground which fronts the old infant building, hoping to be left behind when the bell rang at playtime's close?

Sitting on this exact spot, facing the stationery cupboard in Mr Parr's classroom, in spring 1969, I sat my 11+ exam.

Posted Images

@Jill Sparrow tormenting little boys’ with elastic bow ties reminds me of the annoying habit that boys at my secondary school had - pinging the bra strap of the girl who was as sitting in front of them!!! 
@philmayfield I officially invite you to the next Nottstalgia function’ - certainly no formal dress code :) 

I wore a bow tie to a wedding reception last month, and was amazed at the large number of guests, all female aged between 15 to 55, who made favourable comments on it's appearance.

It's taken me to pensionable age to find out the magic pull factor !

Maybe they thought I was a retired Chippendale, but one look at the waistline would have disabused them of that thought.

Busy ironing it for it's next public outing!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

Thanks, as always, to CT for posting a couple of photos of this year's visit. First photo. Back row: David Scrimshaw, Letsavagoo, Colin Richardson, John Preston. Front row: Debbie Noon, me, Carol Bridgeman, Jane Locke and Angela Broughton (Year 5 teacher).

Second photo: Back row: David Scrimshaw, Letsavagoo, Colin Richardson, John Preston. Front row: Debbie Noon, me, Carol Bridgeman, Jane Locke, Noel James.

Photo credits, Noel James and Angela Broughton.

Although four former pupils were unable to join us, we all enjoyed the visit to our old school.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

It must be interesting and nostalgic to go back to your old school(s).

I have limited opportunity; my Infants and Secondary Schools have both been demolished since my time. Only my Junior School is still there.

I never felt the desire to return to Arno Vale primary school although I pass it quite often. I only went back to Henry Mellish to take part in the closing down ceremony. It had gone from being a grammar school into a sports college and had been in ‘special measures’. It was good to meet with old friends but sad to see what it had become. The elegant buildings have now been demolished. 

As several of us were discussing, these visits are very much a bittersweet experience. None of us would like to return to the area and it is heartbreaking to see how shabby and run down it has become, apart from the odd householder who takes a pride in keeping their abode looking presentable. That said, it's where our roots are and the memories of our childhood are strong. We agreed that, the older we get, the more powerful those memories become. Something you have to experience to understand, I think.  Part of the process of getting older. My father found the same thing and I used to tease him about it. Now I understand why he was doing it!

I know what you mean, Jill.

I think I spend more time in old but very vivid memories than I do in the loonybin of this current world.

I have often said if I were offered the chance to be twenty again I wouldn't take it.

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

Many thanks, as ever, Kev.

I found this in an old copy of Bygones. Mr Griffiths was the juniors' headmaster prior to Jack Baugh.  I'm reliably informed that Gary Colman is the son of Enid Colman nee Heggs. Enid Colman and her hubby were well known in Nottingham for their dancing school/nightclub establishment.

These boys were born in 1943, slightly earlier than Ben but he may have encountered them on the football field at some point.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I'm reliably informed that Gary Colman is the son of Enid Colman nee Heggs. Enid Colman and her hubby were well known in Nottingham for their dancing school/nightclub establishment.

Presumably that would be the same Colmans as here.

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/6567-colmans/?tab=comments#comment-1605

One and the same, CT. My parents were both keen Ballroom dancers and often went for a trip round the dance floor on a Saturday night.  In later years, I believe Enid married again and became Enid Colman -Rose.  As far as I can see, she only had one child who must have been Gary who is on the photo. My informant's mother was a friend of the family, so I assume the information is correct.

Thanks, as ever, to CT for posting. Found in an old copy of Bygones.

These are Berridge Senior Boys, born in 1942. Thought to be from the mid 1950s.

Back row L to R: Derek Boultby, Terry Fox, Ray Naylor, Randolph Hyde, John Collins, John Wheat, David Haigh, Manny Taylor, Malcolm Dudley.

Middle row: Tony Towlson, Keith Robinson, Arthur Walker, Stuart Murden, John Stout, unknown, Alec Parkinson, Tony Durham, Barry Stuart?, Alan Hazeldine, Mr Smeeton, technical drawing teacher.

Front row: Michael Bramman?, Rodney Greig, Alan Hunt, Graham Shaw, Tony Stamper, David Williamson. Geoffrey Hurry, Robert Cooksley, Bruce Andrew?, Roy Holmes, Kenneth Scott.

Photo taken in front of the wooden huts in the play

ground.

• 2 weeks later...

Berridge infants in 1953. L to R:  Elizabeth Hallam, Paul Buckeridge (name far from certain but written on the reverse of the photo), Veronica Knowles, unknown, Kathleen Sheeran, unknown, Richard Jones.

Thanks to Letsavagoo. Photo courtesy of Carole Sheeran.

I actually used to love doing lines in detention. The teacher was so bored with also having to stay behind that you could just write downwards the easy way 50x I, 50xmust! 50xpay, 50xmore and 50x attention.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Been thinking a lot about the Berridge and Bentink Rd schools this last week. What a fabulous investment they were. Good old bricks and mortar. Craftsman built with slate roofs. None of this fake concrete, jerry built stuff. These venerable schools have seen off generations of 'modern builds'.

• Upvote 1