letsavagoo

Were you at Berridge?

part of my job as a playworker was to teach kids the old street games skipping was always everyone favorite but we had yoyos old wooden ones as well as new plastic one two/three balls the ball in the stocking used on a wall or on the ground snobs whipand top but have to say in my opinion the new ones you can buy are much too lightto get them to work properly in the end we found a man with a wood lathe who experimented with diferent woods till we managed tto get the right weight to get the motion right he aalso made whips for us he sold quite a lot of both carrot bottoms and the mushroom tops he also made stillts for us too by the timme he sadly died he made us lots of old wooden toys some to be played with and others just to show children what children played with wooden hoops dolls trains of course you can still get a lot of these things in modern desighnsbut i still think the old ones are the best.

Hi, My name is Douglas Stewart...... I attended Berridge Road school in the early 50s At that time my name was Douglas Bramley and our family lived on Alfreton Road. I have some good school and Pipewood Camp photo's from that time. I will try and post them . If I have no luck my e-mail is: xxxxxxxxx

Regards,

Doug.

• Upvote 1

Hi Doug and welcome. I attended Berridge Juniors From 53 till 57 , then having passed the 11+ I attended Forest Fields Grammar School . You'll find some good topics here.

Hi everyone,

I have read all your wonderful stories with the hopes of seeing a familiar name but not with any joy as yet. I was wondering if anyone remembers a Peter Haynes I think he may have attended In the early 50s? It would be great if anyone remembers him, he is my papa and lost touch his family at a young age but he has fond memories of his school years at Berridge

Hayley

I am reminded of the old tin-plate toys I used to play with (most of which had belonged to my older sister who had grown out of playing with them).

One was a spinning top which was mesmerising. My father (who had certainly been a bit of a b*gg*r in his youth) told me about a toy he once had, consisting of a circle of tin, marked with the colours of the spectrum. A string ran through the middle of this and the idea was to create tension in the string which was then pulled tight to release the energy it contained, making the disc spin and merging all the colours into "white". I recall creating these out of cardboard in science lessons at school. A scientific bit of fun, you could call it. However, my father persuaded his younger sister (currently in her 84th year) to put her nose next to the tin plate disc as it was spinning. Result: one sliced nose, lots of blood, an hysterical four year old and a wallop for my father who was 10 at the time. Auntie still has the scar- but at least she can laugh about it now.

Those tin plate toys would never be allowed nowadays- because of the 'Elf and Safety (don't you know!). Far too dangerous. How did we survive, I wonder? I remember cutting my finger on a tin plate tambourine: screamed blue murder but it healed and I was more careful in future.

We're tough, us older ones but I certainly think we had more fun!

• Upvote 1

I posted earlier asking about my papa I have recently discovered his name would have been Dickie or pete HIllier, does it ring any bells for anyone

Hi my names pete hillier was at berridge rd untill 1958 nickname was dick hillier remember alan wood , henshaw laurence was his matemate ,mr reid taught r/e he was 6ft 6 and had a mini plushe used to grab you m

by sideburns if you misbehaved orhis steel ruler ;also trever andtony searcy was there I lived in shirlyterrace kirkstead street on hyson green ;im 71 now hope theres some of you still alive hope for some replies someone may remember i was always walking round playground on my hands was good at it and ingym

Hi my names pete hillier was at berridge rd untill 1958 nickname was dick hillier remember alan wood , henshaw laurence was his matemate ,mr reid taught r/e he was 6ft 6 and had a mini plushe used to grab you m

by sideburns if you misbehaved orhis steel ruler ;also trever andtony searcy was there I lived in shirlyterrace kirkstead street on hyson green ;im 71 now hope theres some of you still alive hope for some replies someone may remember i was always walking round playground on my hands was good at it and ingym

I am 72 and lived on Selhust St just round the corner from Kirkstead st ,I went to Berridge infants when I was 4 and wondering if anybody remembers me David Collinson ? I had a brilliant childhood and loved it at school but I was always getting the cane off the Head Mistress , (namesake ) Miss Collinson .

Hi, My name is Douglas Stewart...... I attended Berridge Road school in the early 50s At that time my name was Douglas Bramley and our family lived on Alfreton Road. I have some good school and Pipewood Camp photo's from that time. I will try and post them . If I have no luck my e-mail is: xxxxxxxxx

Regards,

Doug.

I went to the last camp at Pipewood it would be in 1953 ,remember Mr Dibbs ?

Hi David

I was at Berridge in the late 60s.

My father went to Pipewood camp and I have some photos of him there, and that would be the early 1940s. I'll post them if I can get them scanned.

Hi All,

I was at Berridge in the 70's and remember you Jill S -how are you?

My name is Chris Riley - anyone else out there remember me?

Christopher Riley, no less! Hello Christopher. I certainly remember you. I also remember your Mum. The last time I saw her was in Littlewoods in Nottingham many years ago. She told me you were then a DJ in Leicester, I believe?

You dad was in the army, I think? I certainly remember you keeping us all entertained at Berridge. All my school photos are on Friends Reunited now and I think you are on most of them.I am still in touch with Jane Humphreys and we often discuss Berridge Days.Let's have some of your Berridge Memories, I'd love to read them.

Does anyone remember the 'nit nurse' coming to Berridge. Lined up and she'd run a comb through your hair then dip it in a bowel of disinfectant and move to the next.

That would be a Nurse Lucy Kicks, she did most of the schools around there

Rog

I remember this lady. She wore a blue overall, had dark hair and a swarthy complexion. A lady of very few words, rather serious looking. She always told me what beautiful curly hair I had (well you can see from the photo what it was like). I hated my hair (even more so when my mother stuck a large silky bow in it) but she thought it was something to be proud of. Wonder if she'd have been so proud the day I stuck my head in a box of sawdust...no, don't ask why! I must have thought it was a good idea at the time.

My poor mother went bananas and gave me a lot of misery with a fine-toothed comb trying to remove the wood shavings from my tight curls. Actually, I think most of it is probably still in there!

I do recall the smell of the disinfectant in her little dish. Fortunately, I never had headlice. Even when I was teaching and my pupils had them, they never bothered me. This may have something to do with the fact that my paternal grandfather was the only soldier in his unit during WW1 who was never bitten by lice or fleas, even though there were as many in his uniform as everyone else's. We don't taste nice, us Sparrows!

• Upvote 2

I could sit here reading your posts all day, Jill Sparrow. You certainly have a way with words and It went through my mind that your experiences would make a great film script. :)

• Upvote 1

Hi all. Just found this site when looking up Pipewood camp where I spent 4 summers 1949/53. I was at Berridge during that period. I lived on Peverel St., where there were assorted shops and hosiery companies in those days.

I loved Pipewood. It was a wonderful escape from our house which was shared with an off license and with my bedroom overlooking the fire escape of a hosiery factory. Sounds like a glum place to live but the neighbours were respectable people in those days and life was OK.

The teachers I remember at Berridge were Mt Kendrick (woodwork), Mr (Buffalo) Cheeseman (science), Mr Jewitt (maths), Mr Roblin (all sorts), Mr Smith (head). Mr Wheatman (Tech drg) and Mr Pearce my form master who became the permanent head at Pipewood. The houses (billets) I remember at Pipewood were Hartsmere, Chetwynd, Brackenhurst and ? what was the other one?

I now live in Staffs and cycle past Pipewood occasionally. It looks so forlorn these days but the happy memories remain.

Terry Coging

• Upvote 2

Thanks Lizie and Michael. My first memories about Berridge was the new boys initiation ceremony. I started in 1949 straight from Windley School (Forest Rd). Us newbies were told to 'run the gauntlet' or face a harsh penalty. the 'gauntlet' was the space between the woodwork shop and the iron railings on Berridge Rd. We were told to run through a double row of senior boys who thumped us on the head and shoulders. If you refused to do it they would stuff you in a dustbin and roll you down the sloping playground; a very painful experience when the dustbin handles crashed onto the tarmac. I only saw this happen once.

I often reflect on how the different teachers did their job. Mr Roblin put the fear of God into everyone and gave the strap daily. His strap was a custom jobbie with the two outer thongs removed. I remember 'Snake' Anderton being strapped so hard that both hands bled and swelled up. I can see him now sitting on the playground crying, on a cold Winters day, nursing his injured hands under his armpits. Roblin was a cruel man. Then there was 'Buffalo' Cheeseman the science master who was a kind man but the pupils wound him up so much to the point where he started charging up and down the science lab bellowing at everyone. The best teacher of all was Mr Pearce. He was a quiet man but had the gift of making lessons interesting and had no discipline issues. He was a step ahead of the wiseguys and didn't need to use the strap.

Classmates that I remember were Tony Dawkins, Paul Kreager, Trevor Davies, Albert Hurry, Bernard Lewis....a few more when I think about it.

• Upvote 1

PeverilPeril,

I enjoyed reading your post.You mention some of your classmates, including a Trevor Davies. Would that be Trevor Davys who lived in Grundy Street? He would be around your age and I knew the various members of his large family quite well. He also attended St Stephen's Church and sang in the choir. I played the organ there in the early 1980s and am still occasionally in touch with Trevor.

I must try to persuade him to contribute to Nottstalgia as I know he'd have some good memories to share. Not sure whether Trevor went to Peveril but I think he did.

Keep posting!

PeverilPeril, # 105

I wonder if the Paul Kreager you mention in your post is the same one who had a Ladies Fashion shop in Arnold in the early 70's.

LizzieM - It probably was Paul Kreagers shop. i know that he did well in business and lived in a large, walled house near Keyworth when we lived there.

Jill Sparrow - It would be the same Trevor Davys. He was my fishing pal. Be nice to talk to him again. I am still a keen fisherman.

Ok PP, I did know him a little bit and I think he may have had other shops around the area. He was a big blonde guy. Not seen him for many years.

PeverilPeril

Certainly sounds like the same chap. I will contact him and ask him to have a look at Nottstalgia. Trevor came from a large family, brothers, John, Barry and younger brother Andrew. Sisters Christine and Marilyn. His mother, Doris, was a lovely lady who I knew from childhood and a great friend of my mother. Trevor lived for a while in Franklin Gardens and now at Bramcote. Writes to me every Christmas. He became a teacher himself. I am sure he would love to renew his acquaintance with you.

Watch this space!!