Railways Remembered - The 1950s

I know there are a few railway enthusiasts on the site so just a heads-up for this event taking place at the Palace Theatre, Newark in October

--

http://www.palacenewark.com/

RAILWAYS REMEMBERED - THE 1950S

image100727.JPG

Introduced by Rob Foxon

Thursday 13 October 7.30pm

Britain's railways were nationalised in 1948. This carefully researched programme of rare archive films reflects on the 1950's as a decade of consolidation following wartime hostilities to complete modernisation; a transition from the steam age to diesel & electric traction and 100mph running. See steam at work on the main lines, the Rugby Locomotive Testing Station in action, the Chipperfields Circus Train and much more. A railway carrying passenger and goods traffic alike, delivered with all the confidence and assurance that only an integrated transport system can provide - full steam ahead!

Tickets £6.50, £6.25 conc

Advance Bookings £6.00, £5.75 conc

CALL 01636 655755

booking informationseating plan

I used to have 2 great video's, though 1 a bit out of our locality, it dealt with the high peak line coming off the MR near Cromford, up the cable hauled section over the top at black rocks and so on, some great old super 8 home movies converted to VHS inc passenger trains at likes of Middleton and Parsley Hay, 2nd one was took from a late BR steam era train running into Victoria all the way from other side of Annesley, Various sites of interest seen, Annesley Yard, the 3 crossings at Linby, Hucknall Central, Bagthorpe, over Valley Rd, past New Basford station etc and all points between, then a good half hour or more of arrivals in Victoria, mainly ex LMS and BR, but also ex LNER even a scruffy Great Western! were in my car when it got pinched! got car back but needlessly to say empty

I know there are a few railway enthusiasts on the site so just a heads-up for this event taking place at the Palace Theatre, Newark in October

These railway film shows have been held for some years at Newark's Palace Theatre.

Regular presenter, using material from his own collection, was John Huntley.

He travelled the country, almost full-time, giving his shows...

Since his relatively recent death it would appear that Rob Foxon has taken over his role, presumably still using the considerable Huntley archive.

Cheers

Robt P.

• 3 months later...

I still can remember at Bulwell Common kiss gates watching the A3 Pacifics on the (South Yorkshireman) and the (Master Cutler) in the mid 50s.And the Old D11 GC Director class B1, K3, and V2.In them days there was a Train every few minutes.

Re the frequency of trains, in the 1950's I recall how often they were then on the former GCR, but far from the busiest time when over 300 a day used the route every 24 hours, Whilst in 1900 216 trains a day were scheduled on the GNR through Basford&Bulwell Station (plus another 19 a day "as and when required") what the latter means no idea! lol

• 4 months later...

just catching up on older posts, I think I saw one of the film shows mentioned 'Colwick Yard to Annesly'. Interesting but foreign to me as I was a Midland fireman from 1948-63. I've just read a "Rail" magazine, it's not the same railway! umpteen companies all using Class ??? for haulage (can't call them 'Loco's, can you!) 5 Freight companies, 4 of them owned by an American firm so who sends out the bills & to whom for using OUR tracks!

• 11 months later...

wasnt a youn lad from carlton killed playing chicken with his mates at this spot,tragic for his family

Without wishing to sound callous: I doubt there was a huge uproar about the need to improve safety. Unllike the recent incident at the Bestwood crossing; where a teenage girl died playing chicken, and now they are going to install a bridge in a (vain) attempt to prevent people being stupid.

These bridges are going up in lots of places now. It's a combination of Health & Safety requirements and the blame/claim culture.

But they are not just the old footbridges we used to know. Now they are very complex fabricated structures which, in addition to steps, are required to have ramps either side for wheelchair and disability buggy use and said ramps are not allowed to slope at more than a certain degree. Consequently, these bridges are not just one side of the track to the other, they take up a very large amount of space. There's one between Ilkeston and Trowell, it's a collosal structure!

They're having to be provided now, even on remote footpaths which are seldom used. I've heard it said that they can cost up to a million pounds a time. A vast amount of money has to be spent on H&S provisions nowadays!

• 1 year later...

Traveling to school by bus,meant the 40 or 47 trolley to the covered market a walk along Parliament st to catch the no 8 to Bestwood. The highlite of the journey was stopping to watch the trains arriving and leaving Victoria Station.Memories of huge green engines with polished brasswork their great wheels spinning for

traction as they took up the weight. Definitely the best bit of the day. school finished at 4 if we were very lucky a mad dash meant we could catch the 4 04 train to the city, it cost the pricely sum of 9 pence [ it meant using the days dinner money ], but the payoff was a journey home via Colwick marshaling yard, trainspotting heaven!!

• Upvote 1