The Nottingham Post website

What a dog's dinner the Post's website has become! I like to take a look in there, along with BBC Nottingham, to keep up with local news and the last re-design is absolutely atrocious!

Over-fussy design, ads all over the front page, and repetitive use of images on main news stories to go with the non-stories the once very readable Post supplied. Regarding the latter, an example of this was reported UFO sightings which were in fact Chinese sky lanterns!

I'm not sure of the terminology for it but the facility for readers to add their own comments to the main body of the site has caused some problems recently with one story appearing to be 'official' when it was in fact the opinion of a contributing reader.

Dear oh dear...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, had read that Kev. I get the feeling that the prognosis is not a bright one for the Nottingham Post. It's an industry that's struggling with adapting to change generally but they seem to have sco

Not having that, the comments on the Nottingham Post articles are legendary 

As a long time contributor on there I have to agree !

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. I used to look at the site in its old version and it was pretty good, but these days it's a total disaster.

The thing that bugs me is that you have the main list of stories down the centre of the page, and then a short version of the current stories on the top right corner. Click on those stories on the right and it expands to give a full list of current stories.

But....sometimes the stories down the middle of the page are several days old; nobody seems to delete or clear them.

Agree also with the point about there being no obvious difference between a readers opinion (and some of them are fully qualified morons) and a news story. A few days ago there was what appeared to be a "story" about an expensive house for sale in The Park; but once you'd read the piece you realised it was just free advertising for the estate agent with no news content at all. I'd be interested to know how that item got where it was.

And the "mouseover" effect is totally out of control. You get pop-ups jumping at you all over the place.

Pity Al Jazeera don't cover Nottingham. I'd watch them.

Another point is that currently when one clicks on a story, a Football League video starts blaring out. A complete intrusion.

I can't believe the Post have got this so wrong. It's easily the most dire newspaper website I've ever seen.

Have to agree that the Post site is quite appalling...

IMO, the actual newspaper has become progressively worse over the years - certainly since the Pole-Carew/sackings era and the ending of the Forman-Hardy ownership and influence.

Their 'amateur' approach to an online format has always been unacceptable for the news requirement of a major city...

For a much better style of 'local' presentation, look no further than the Leicester Mercury - particularly in print.

Cheers

Robt P.

For a much better style of 'local' presentation, look no further than the Leicester Mercury - particularly in print.

Cheers

Robt P.

From a sister publication on the same network, there is indeed a lesson in the Mercury's simple, clean and easy-to-use design for the Nottingham Post. The latter's presence on the web looks like it has been designed by an eight-year old.

The style (if that's the word) which we are seeing on the Evening Post is the corporate design for all papers in the Northcliffe Group

Do a Google search for "This is"........ no other words

You'll get dozens of identical sites in that style, covering all regions. It's a disease which has covered large parts of the country

• 4 weeks later...

Not only have they made a mess of the website, they have now decided to make the paper available from 07.00 in the morning, this means that they have had to move the printing to Birmingham, so much for an evening paper, it will all be yesterdays news.

Now THAT was funny! !rotfl!

It was already printed in Stoke apparently.

BBC claim the Nottingham Post could move from its base at Castle Wharf, Nottingham. I think if that happens they may as well wrap up and go home.

Nottingham Trent University media lecturer Dr Matt Ashton said: "It reflects the fact that a lot of the print industries in this country are in decline and are having to make economies of scale.

"Problems they've got going forward include inflation, the rising cost of printing the paper, the rising cost of journalism and their audience is getting older."

Reporters and staff will remain in the three cities but the Nottingham Post could move from its base at Castle Wharf.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ngland-15333564

I heard from a friend yesterday, Her husband works for the D*rby Telegraph.

There are Job losses, and it is closing. the paper will be printed miles away.

DT same group as NP???

• 7 months later...

Hadn't looked at it since it changed and became a joke several months ago. This new design seems to vary depending on exactly which page you look at and when.

When I was there a few minutes ago I got this -

post.jpg

It's increasingly difficult to tell what is news, what is advertising, and what is just pointless rubbish