The Nottingham Post website

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, had read that Kev. I get the feeling that the prognosis is not a bright one for the Nottingham Post. It's an industry that's struggling with adapting to change generally but they seem to have sco

Not having that, the comments on the Nottingham Post articles are legendary 

As a long time contributor on there I have to agree !

A classic on the front page of the Nottingham Post website this morning! A warning declaring:

WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT Rise Park model says 'career is over' after face went...

...with the 'graphic content' (an image of scarring on a young woman's face) sitting right next to the warning!

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/home

Yes, had read that Kev. I get the feeling that the prognosis is not a bright one for the Nottingham Post. It's an industry that's struggling with adapting to change generally but they seem to have scored several own goals along the way, the main one being for me their loss of a 'local' identity. I don't think Nottingham people see it as representing their locality much any more.

The name change, though in some ways understandable, was a mistake in my opinion. People will never think of it as 'The Nottingham Post'. Moving out of that very central and prominent position on Forman Street was another big mistake.

The journalism is often shoddy and judgemental at times. Some of the stories are pitiful 'non-stories'.

The generic-styled website is a poor effort and appears amateurish in design when considering the capability and technology nowadays. It's the little things you note - like the advertisement pop-up showing this week - smack across the front page rendering it unreadable and very difficult to understand how to get rid of.

Considering the Post's history and relationship with Nottingham, it will be a shame if it all disappears or is allowed to fade away.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

The website drives me mad! Often you get 4 versions of the same story and as has already been said, the content is dire. Very little actual "news" there at all. Whoever had the idea for giving readers the option to comment on stories needs to be flogged in Market Square. The majority of comments are unreadable. Having said that, those idiots who enjoy baiting each other and generally being nasty are entertaining themselves rather than trolling on other websites. The printed version isn't much better either although I do enjoy Bygones.

As for the BBC website and so called local news bulletins - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr is the polite way of putting it!

Steph x

• 5 months later...

Looking at the usual thisisnottingham website for local news, the Post are announcing that they have changed and improved their site, as well as giving it a new web address.

It's difficult to believe this isn't a joke. A leading contender for the worst designed site I've ever seen.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/home

I think this new design is miles better than the previous one but I daren't click on a football story for fear of the blasting audio accompaniment. I wonder does that still happen?

If it's any consolation our This Is Cornwall site has had exactly the same makeover today . That site used to cover 3 local weekly newspapers and now the one for our area , The West Briton , has been given its own site and uses some of the same national content as the Post :

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/home

• 8 years later...