Mentioned some while back the invention or at least development of the VCR at Wycliffe Street New Basford and have found another New Basford "invention or development"., HP Sauce! This was devised by a certain Frederick Gibson Garton and produced in his "pickle factory" at the rear of his home at the still there 45 Sandon Street New Basford, He registered it in 1895, the name HP he included after hearing it was on offer in a houses of parliament restaurant. In 1903 he gave the recipe and rights to such to Edwin Moore T/A The Midlands Vinegar Company (Birmingham) in settlement of an unpaid £150 debt for supplied vinegar

I love HP sauce too.

I couldn't eat a bacon butty without it.

I was dismayed when I heard this British icon was going to be made in The Netherlands.

To be fair I think it still tastes the same even though it's no longer made in Blighty.

I did read last week though that the salt content has got to be reduced to meet the new EEC targets so it will be interesting to see if it still tastes the same after this recipe mod.

Can you get HP in the USA katjay?

Could be a moneyspinner for you if you imported it and sold it on the internet to expats.

My local supermarket has HP - I'll check the price next time I am there!

Yes, you can get it at certain stores, but it's expensive.We usually stock up on the plastic bottles of it when we come over, or get someone to bring it over if they are visiting. This makes you think twice about leaving any on your plate after you are done eating! My husband talked the golf pro here into serving bacon butties on his menu,with HP sauce of course. He bought his sauce on-line, there are many British Food websites.

Me neither - but both go well with scrambled eggs for breakfast!

Doing a very American thing tomorrow and going out for breakfast !!

The nice people at the Wharton Lodge Crown Carvery (Greene King) are doing all you can eat breakfasts at 2 for 5 quid

We must be living right - just got back from the supermarket - HP Sauce $3.79 - A1 Sauce $5.49 for the same size bottle! Interestingly, the HP is stocked alongside the A1, not in the import section with the Marmite, Salad Cream, Branston Pickle, etc.

MMMMmmmmmmmmmm......

Pork chops marinated in garlic and Worcestershire Sauce, then grilled - DELICIOUS!

HP sauce mentioned on the box the other night...Can't remember what programme....It was pointed out that salt content was less plus one or two alterations...But it still says original recipe on the bottle...liars!