And, another question,do you use a turbo trainer specific tyre on the back when on the i-magic or just stick to normal tyres? my rear tyre tends to get a bit warm after a time on the turbo and I've been told the tyre structure could break down

Rog

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Nottingham leg of the Tour of Britain was nearly canceled do to half the riders getting their bikes stolen?    

This Saturday Nottingham hosts the OVO Energy Tour of Britain cycle race https://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/stages/stage-seven/ hope they've filled all those potholes?     

Talking of Halfords (which we weren't) found this picture today,how things have changed     Rog

I have used the same tubular tyre for the last 10 years. It is a smooth Continental racing tub that I  did not like for racing (it felt dead on the road) and I am amazed at it's durability, although it is now a bit lumpy. Being smooth causes less frictional heat. I run it at 110psi

• Like 1

Could be the answer to the heat problem because my rear tyre is a Schwalbe marathon racer (not much tread) at 26x1.5 and run at 70 psi

Rog

The max pressure is usually printed on the sidewall of the tyre, I think mountain bike tyres are round about the 50 psi, road bike tyres usually 100 - 110 psi

The trike tyres are 70 psi thats both front tyres 20x1.5 and the rear tyre at 26x1.5 but as I said check on the sidewall of your tyre,also on the sidewall will be a direction arrow (usually but not always) this should be the way the tyre rotates when it's fitted, hope this helps

Rog

Everything you are telling me is helping thanks. Its 40 odd years since I last rode a bike. I have collected this one now and everything is good so far. I have only ridden it briefly in the dark but its a nice ride. Its got no lights yet. The only thing wrong was the cable to the rear dérailleur was out of one of its clips on the frame and I had to disconnect the cable from the rear dérailleur to get it back in to its clip. I haven't adjusted the cable correctly yet as I can't get the lowest gear (biggest sprocket on rear wheel). I shall have a look in daylight tomorrow. It's 21 speed Shimano BTW.

• Like 1

It might not be the cable Malc, on the rear derailleur theres two screws,one for max travel going to the big gear (cog) and the other going to the small gear (cog)these need to stop the body of the derailleur overshooting these extreme cogs and either jumping into the rear wheel spokes or coming off the small cog and jamming between cogs and rear frame, these are worth checking when you get all gears through cable adjustment, you say the chain is not going on the biggest (low) gear that could be something simple like putting a bit more tension on the cable, there should be a adjusting screw that the cable goes through on the rear derailleur,just unscrew it a turn at a time and see if that cures the problem but don't forget to check the chain is not travelling too far and jumping off the gear altogether if that makes sense, you could always check out the "sheldon brown" websites and scroll about for gears or gear adjustment,all the info should be on there to help, it's a very good site for anything bike related and is well worth looking at

P1060275.jpg

You can just see the two cross head screws in this picture with a letter under each one H for high and L for low, these are the maximum travel screws,it might sound confusing but that might be the way I've explained things but  it's not as confusing as it sounds

Rog

• Like 1

Thanks. I have just looked briefly on YouTube and there are a few videos explaining how to set them up. Will have a look later - its cowd ahtside!  It also seems that this bike might be a bit better than I had bargained for. it is a Scott Atacama Trail. (Hybrid). It seems they are quite well thought of in some circles. It certainly wasn't cheap when new.

• Like 1

Scott do make very good bikes in fact the best mountain bike I ever had was a Scott Comp Racing 27 gears,Rockshox Judy SL front suspension forks all top spec, you'll not go wrong with yours once you've set it to how you like, BTW the other road tyres I was trying to think of are called "city slicks"

Rog

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Talking of Halfords (which we weren't) found this picture today,how things have changed

Cycle_store.jpg

Rog

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Went to the top of Oxton Hill to watch it . Yes, gone in a flash as they were so bunched  up. 

Exactly Rog, some of the best countryside in Notts, but I doubt if anyone involved noticed , more is the pity.

I did notice that all the police motorcyclists were from West Yorkshire. Where were ours, oh ! We've no Traffic Division nowadays. Marvellous !

• Like 1

Nipped to West Bridgford this morning to do some shopping and they were just taking the barriers down. Went back through RoT and they'd just gone through. So managed to miss them twice, fortunately.

• Upvote 1

I hardly think a bunch of cyclists shooting past and clogging up the roads for other road users is a great spectator sport. If they were to race round a track it might be more appealing to those who are interested in watching. Sports car racing on public roads would be more exciting!

• Like 1