Dissapointed not to find Greenwood secondary in this forum There must be some of you out there. Particularly interested in period September 1958-July 1962.Kelvin Atkins,Cocky Bell Malcolm Birch,Alan Pickance, Stuart Loverseed David Scothern Terry Murden ,Danny Smith, Melvin Johnson et al. Teachers Joe Morley Taffy Broom Dickey Bow Lievers Mike Graham Phil Barwick. Head was Skilbeck.

• 1 month later...

Hi Ileft Greenwood School at Christmas 1957 after moving there from Sneinton Boulevard the previous year,Joe Morley was our form teacher,5th year,he was also the music teacher,other teachers I remember were Claridge for art,Williams for PE,Capper for maths,Bonner for Science,Dover for metalwork,I played for the school football team iin 1956/7 when we won the Notts Senior Sheild the teacher who took us for football was the Tech Drawing teacher.

Alan Mee

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Hi lupo, catching up on the 'Boulo' posts? I must be one of the 'old, old boy's'  having left at Xmas 1942 but still remember Capper, boat on the Trent, sailed it to Norway for some climbing. Ben Scargill well remembered for setting his trouser pocket on fire when he couldn't stop the 'strap' in time when one of the Pickances took his hand away! his box of matches caught fire!

PS It was Dale St. between Sneinton Rd. & the 'Dale.

• 3 months later...

I started at the school in 57 when it became Greenwood Bilateral Boys Secondary School. They had just started a Technical Stream with the first classes being T1 and T2. The following years a Grammar Stream was added --- the G classes. The first T classes drew boys from all over Nottm not just the local area, and I traveled in from Lenton Abbey Est. near Beeston using two buses. As many of the T1 and T2 lads had come a fair distance we had the privilege being allowed in to our form rooms before school started and many lads used this time to do the previous days homework. [I remember Nat Bonner caning boys for not handing in homework] .Tom Hoggart [or Hoggert] was T1's first form master and T2 had Mick Graham , both being English teachers. We had a guy called Bayliss for Geography but only for a year as he died during school summer hols. "Ben" Dover for Metal Work and T.D.  -- Wyberg [?] for Woodwork, who would clonk you on the head with a length of wood if he felt you were not paying attention to his talk around his woodwork bench. Clark or Clarke was German Language. Mc Klennan was Maths. " "Mo" Claridge his Mo nickname came from his Three Stooges ,Mo, hairstyle was Art and Pottery . Joe Morley was R.E. For the life of me I cannot remember the Chemistry masters name, and I will not relate our History teachers name as he was a failure at controling any of his classes.    Pat Griffith,Mr Mc Knight, Dubchek? [ Art] all came later and were good at the job. Never had classes with Ben Scargil or Mr Holden, Dicky Bow, Mr Mc Donald, or the guy who taught Metal Work to T2.

Ron Skilbeck was the Headmaster and a little terrier of a man, always rushing about the school and not brooking any nonsense from any pupil. However I remember that one boy got the better of him at assembly on day. If any pupil was named at assembly it was for praise or shame. At one closing of assembly Ron Skilbeck called out  " Hunt,   I told you to get your hair cut at the weekend"  Hunt's reply ,that cut down the Headmaster  " Me mam couldn't afford it sir"!  He was called later to the Headmasters office and given a shilling and time off immediately to get his haircut.

Over the years I have found that the teacher who taught me the most and got the best out of me was Mr Dover. I didn't realize it at the time as we often clashed over things but it is with regret that I cannot now thank him to his face.

Ray

Made a mistake  --- it was Reg Skilbeck.  Also another teacher has come to mind -- Mr Tovey who did maths ,and I believe ran the canoe club. Greenwood had an old air raid shelter on the other side of the Trent in the corner of a playing field for the club. When we had finished our O-Levels in the fifth year we were at a loss as there were no more lessons and a few of us volunteered to paint the inside of the shelter. Was Mr Barwick the big fair heared teacher who took rugby and played for Notts Moderns?

Ray

I started at Greenwood in 58 in the G stream after the first year Mr Bonner was our form teacher a strict but fair man enjoyed his teaching of physics I remember Mr Mcclennan(spelling) for maths., gave me a good knowledge of the subject. Cannot remember the name of the history teacher but he was in the wrong profession could not control a class so very little learnt there. I had to leave in 62 so did not stay on for O levels regretted it for rest of my life, but enjoyed my time there with the exception of cross country my legs were designed for walking.

• Upvote 2

#10 I don't believe he was harsh he was strict, he demanded pupils paid attention and tried if they did this he was ok, he did come to school in his sunbeam Talbot I can always remember it because we used to drool over it because it looked so different from other cars of that era.

Hi Trogg/Ray531 we were at Greenwood at the same time I can remember all the named teachers plus a couple more Taffy Broom who was our form master and Mr Harrison who taught woodwork. If I remember correctly the canoe club based at Trent pool was named the venturers Society we had some good Friday nights down at the club house. Both Mike Graham and Phil Barwick played for Notts RFC. I remember them both taking a group of us Rugby players to Twickenham for the Middlesex sevens unfortunately I got separated from the main group at Waterloo station nobody realised I was missing until the police at Waterloo contacted Twickenham and put out a call over the tannoy system for Mike Graham he then had to leave the ground and go to the station to meet me off the next train needless to say he was not best pleased. When I met him a considerable number of years later he still remembered the day and we had a good laugh about it

• 2 months later...

I started at Greenwood in 1969 until 1974 i remember Bonner, Joe Morley, Ball who took PE & a few others, left the UK 1980 & now live in Aussie have a sister Jane Wade & bother Henry that both attended the school after me. Looking for people that may follow this site & remember one of us.    

• 2 months later...

I started in 1961 with Morley as Deputy Head, a man to be hated. Parham was Head. Dover was still there bending my attempt at a full twist poker around my neck. Wallin was (?), McDonald for woodwork, Martin for Maths, occasional supply teacher for History. Dudek for Art. McKnight for Geography. Kirkham for Tech Drawing. S class (smart arses) for grammar stream. Only one (I think) to leave with * O levels and a GCSE. Morris was music. Nice chap. Bonner was family friend cannot say too much. Happy days. Lots of canings (par for the course). Slipper. Duggan the ugliest English teacher to walk Gods Earth.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 7/17/2017 at 5:20 PM, Anthony Hawke said:

I started in 1961 with Morley as Deputy Head, a man to be hated. Parham was Head. Dover was still there bending my attempt at a full twist poker around my neck. Wallin was (?), McDonald for woodwork, Martin for Maths, occasional supply teacher for History. Dudek for Art. McKnight for Geography. Kirkham for Tech Drawing. S class (smart arses) for grammar stream. Only one (I think) to leave with * O levels and a GCSE. Morris was music. Nice chap. Bonner was family friend cannot say too much. Happy days. Lots of canings (par for the course). Slipper. Duggan the ugliest English teacher to walk Gods Earth.

Dolly Duggan