Carriage scrap line Leen Valley.

Great pics Stuart. 

As far as I know the last remaining pier of the old bridge remained in situ until very recently. last few years I think.

Think I've told this before.. Mum, who lived just across the bridge on the 'Bulwell end' of Grindon Crescent from the late 1920s, always told of how her younger brother Jack was quite disturbed about the old bridge being taken down, and one night was heard shouting in his sleep " Put that bleddy bridge back!"

Last remnants of the old bridge can still be seen here.. just across the tracks from the blue/green containers:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.0145911,-1.1891712,82a,35y,110.81h,62.76t/data=!3m1!1e3

And here, you can see how the Bulwell Hall Est. houses which front onto Hucknall Lane at the end of Aston Drive, were set back from where the road now runs, presumably to allow for traffic using the old bridge, whereas to the right, you can see the very tight two lane roundabout on the Bulwell side of the new Moorbridge, which was built after Bulwell Hall Estate, where the houses are much closer to the road.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.0144243,-1.1905847,81a,35y,110.81h,62.76t/data=!3m1!1e3

• Like 1

Here's a good one, with a blown up snip out of it;

New Moorbridge plus by the looks of it, the old bridge mid demolition in 1950, note arch still there and stubs of pillars between tracks.

fiNTae7.png

Looks like there are men on the track clearing up.

rYBxTVP.png

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for the pix Stuart, looking at the blow up reminded me that I  stood next to that arch, at the side of the track with a rail enthusiast mate who wanted me to film a couple of diesels, correct me if I'm  wrong but I  think they were AC or A3 Deltics, (if that means anything). My mate told me they had been waiting up at Newstead branch, waiting time to go. I believe  it was their last run before shuffling off to York. I've  still got that film, it was back in 1985/6ish. Tony LeGrys, if your out there, call me.

Great photo's Stuart,,,,the piece of bridge on the lower pic. is still standing.   Behind that is a body of water that attracted us lads down there from Bestwood estate,,,we called it ''Jelly Lake''' on account of all the Frog spawn that could be seen,,,its also the place were i got shot in the Ankle (still got the scar) trying to defend some Frogs from being shot by big lads with Air Guns...........

• Upvote 1

Think it's finaly gone now Ben.  What intrigues me in those pics is the large pond beyond the old bridge and backiing onto Moorbridge Cottages. That's not there now, but the one between the two bridges is still there, though it looks a bit weed infested now.  Also, the trees around the old Bull Well are very much bigger now.  It used to be a pretty much open area.

You've lost me there B. I can't recall any York bound diesels. Unless it was a special working. Although I do remember a couple of Southern Region class 33's on a special around here.

Sorry Fly, I'm  not a brilliant railway enthusiast, but I  do remember my mate telling me that the two engines would be coming along together, travelling light. They were heading in the Bulwell direction although obviously not going there. I'll  have a look on my film archives and see if I  can find any identifying info on there which may help.

I do know that my mate told me that this would be the last time they would be seen. We did see some other locos but these diesels were what he wanted filming. When they passed we went into the signal box, as the operator was my mates chum, ( i didn't  know him). I filmed them on full size VHS and have since transferred them to DVD, (Along with, Flying Scotsman, Sir Nigel Gresley, Duchess of Hamilton etc). B.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished reading 'The Back Line'. (Great Northern Railway) by Hayden J Reed. It's the definitive history of the eastern reaches of the GNR's Derbyshire Extention (The Friargate Line) It starts at Colwick and finishes at Basford & Bulwell. It doesn't exactly cover this section of line, as it branched off at Leen Valley Junction.

A fascinating read all the same. 

Found this photo of Leen Valley signalbox on http://www.annesleyfireman.com//index.html. The site owner is Chris Ward, who was the loco fireman on this engine. It depicts the 0620 Daybrook pick-up goods at Leen Valley Junction Signalbox but the date on the photo is 23/12/64. Although the track was still in-situ until 1965 the line had actually closed to al traffic on 1st June 1964; apart from use for a short period of time as a carriage and waggon storage facility, so a bit of a puzzle there.  [photo credit: Chris Ward]

4B4p2LuVLwAPYbayp8DhdTMGD6zgyQzi4RJUwVDj

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I regularly look in on Chris's site. It gives a great load of information on Annesley. A mine of anecdotes, pictures, lists of visiting engines etc. Brilliant.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I often look in too Fly,,,i knew lots of the faces on there,,mostly from my days working at the Railway club,,,also found photo's of my Dad and Grandad....

• Upvote 1

In the book I've just mentioned, there's a picture of stored carriages, and it states that they are destined for Rigleys for disposal. 

The pic is taken from LVJ signal box looking westwards. 

• Upvote 1

If anyone is sufficiently interested, the book is available from Book Law Publications. Carlton. Nottm. £27.95, but I was charged  about £25. A feast of info and pictures on Daybrook, LVJ, and of course Colwick.

• Upvote 1

Compo's photograph is missing, but I know which it is as I regularly look through Chris Ward's Annesley web pages.

Am pleased you have found a photograph of the stored coaches, as I was wondering if I had remembered correctly.

Have also taken Fly's recommendation and purchased The Back Line.

I seem to recollect that 9F's had a route availability issue on the Leen Valley Line. The only stretch I have seen photographs is on the Bagthorpe Junction triangle where they were sometimes turned, being too large for Victoria's turntable. Someone will now produce a photograph and prove me wrong. Such is life!

• Upvote 1

Think you're correct there DA re 9F's not fitting on Vics turntable. They  didn't have the same problem at Annesley I don't think. I'm pretty certain I've seen them turned there. 

Glad you've bought The Back Liny. It'll keep you busy for days.  There's also three other good books by Reed covering all areas of Nottm.

Check them out on Book Law's website. Best of luck.

• Upvote 1

Think I know the pic you're referring to DA. Is it the one of a 9F, a B16 and an O4 ? It's in virtually every book I've seen on the GC in Notts.

Thanks Fly for the recommendation, it is a good book.

The picture you referred to was taken when Annesley turntable was under maintenance, as you say Annesley was capable of turning 9F's.

i know the Western Region weren't keen on their locomotives going to Annesley due to the hard water. 9F's working to Nottingham on passenger trains would have been turned at Bagthorpe.

Having said this, I have seen Halls at Annesley. In fact, they infamously "borrowed" one for weekend ballast workings.

maybe they went to Annesley if they needed "fitters attention"!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 7 months later...

Hello, I know this is an old thread but I just came across this site while doing some family history.  My Grandparents ( Harry and Evelyn Vickers) lived at 7 Grindon Cres, and several family members lived at Moorbridge cottages.  I have memories of climbing over the back wall from the cottagers and playing with my cousins in the 'swamp'..  Had to keep an eye out for the swans !     Seems this post is for train spotters  ... sorry, I just saw the top message, so I joined the site.   As a kid I went trainspotting off the bridge in Hucknall   :)

Welcome Aussiegran!

My maternal Grandparents Jack and Ida Whyman lived at No. 4 Grindon Crescent from around 1929, until Ida left around 1972.  I also had relatives in Moorbridge Cottages who would most likely be Berresfords, or possibly Chambers..maybe something else... not really sure.

I remember the Swans... :ohmy:

Aussiegran, the thread isn't exclusively for Spotters.

It's just as much about the area which of course was surrounded by the railways.

Like most forums threads on here drift, but being a former resident or visitor to the Cottages is enough of a qualification.

How long since you left the area and have you been back to visit?

8 hours ago, Aussiegran said:

Seems this post is for train spotters  ... sorry, I just saw the top message, so I joined the site.   As a kid I went trainspotting off the bridge in Hucknall   :)

Welcome Aussiegran...no need to apologise for being here !

What slightly surprises me is that you say you went trainspotting when you were young. You are possibly the first female trainspotter I've come across; it had always previously seemed to be a male preserve.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for the reply.   Thought I would pop back here to see what was happening.  I am doing some family history research..  Yes, I grew up with a trainspotting note book.  The rest of my play  time  (ha ha) , was spent fishing,  parents that were avid 'fisher people'.   many memories of a jam jar and a net and Bulwell Hall Park..   Still love trains, the one from where I live takes 4 hrs to Melbourne..  we have 2 a day   :)   One for the keen daytrippers at 6am   and one at lunchtime...

• Upvote 1

Hi Stuart, I had a trip back few years ago, actually walked the track from Bestwood Park Est, where I have a cousin, to Hucknall..  I wandered to moorbridge cottages and took some photos.  Even got cheeky and went down one alleyway to look at the backyards  ha ha ... As I am busy putting history together for my kids I have looked at maps,  found a photo of the Yew Tree Pub , my parents had the fish n chip shop on Beardall St,  Butlers Hill end. . I used to sit outside the pub with my guy fawkes ... begging  :)   My kids think its hilarious.  I had an old aunt on papplewick lane that I used to spend weekend time with.  All my cousins were boys, guess that's why I was a trainspotter.

I want to post an old photo on here but I cant find a way to reduce the size of it.  It was taken in the 1940s outside a pub and was hoping someone could throw a little light on it.  I have an odd memory when I look at the windows , it is a big gathering of people and I know about 8 of them in it  (family)..

5 hours ago, Aussiegran said:

I want to post an old photo on here but I cant find a way to reduce the size of it.  It was taken in the 1940s outside a pub and was hoping someone could throw a little light on it. 

Ignore the feature built into Nottstalgia which you see at the bottom of the reply box - it's pointless. There's no way anyone can reduce a photo to the size required by that system. 

The way most people do it is to use one of the free image-hosting sites.  https://www.google.com/search?q=free+image+hosting+for+forums&oq=&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8