Daybrook barber, Alf.

This Picture the Past image just about gets the building in.

NCCC000190.jpg

http://www.pictureth...n=zoom&id=37409

It certainly does and it brings back memories too! Here's one: there used to be a pigeon's wing stuck under the bridge decking over the northbound carriageway. Does anyone remember it? It was there for years (c1960s).

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just caught this topic whilst browsing Daybrook railway Station Have joined up so that I can contribute. I actually lived in the house on the Arnold side of the bridge with a large "Pork Farms" adve

In reply to a post on the first page of this Topic regarding "Rex's" opposite the "white Heart pub" here's a photo of Rex in his Barbers Chair in 1954, Taken by my late Father. Rex is still alive a

Further to this thread, here are a couple of photos of Daybrook Square. The shop was owned by the wife's auntie, and is just out of view on the left.

Posted Images

The Old Map from the 1960s might answer a few questions. You can see the word "Garage" twice in the area on the east side of Mansfield Road, as well as the "Garage" on the Bedale side, which is now (still?) a Kwikfit or something similar.

So what were the group of buildings right up next to the railway bridge, which include the place shown in Stu's photo?

I think the motorbike place I'm trying to remember is the site of the two "Garages" opposite Bedale (where a row of garages backs on to the Day Brook)

daybrook.jpg

that is the group of buildings we are discussing. The barber shop is the white frontage and you can just make out the "A H..." A. Hutchings, barber.

(Refer to Stu's photo of Daybrook Bridge and Cliff Ton's map) If you imagine you are walking through the bridge on the left hand side you go through the arch and cross Station Road immediately beyond. on the far corner there was a tiny sweet shop where an old lady (1950s) used to sell loose sweets in small triangular bags. I wonder if anyone knows what her name was?

The works marked on the map by the station would be the BeRo flour factory.

Another question that comes to mind is did they have a hand cranked crane in the station goods yard?

And finally for toight: What is the red vehicle under the bridge? I can't quite make it out.

The sweet shop was still there in the late sixties..but not for long.And that pigeons wing was pointing down from that bridge for a good ten years.

And a couple of personal asides...

That Mobil Station (Vale hotel side) was robbed while open in '71'... A cop with a dog was tracking the thief across the playing field over the back.

This dog was spotted by my alsatian 'Lady' who was on heat and had access to the field from my workshop alongside the brook.She intercepted the police dog in mid field and the cop was not amused (to say the least) when his dog refused to continue the chase and stood with a stupid expression on it's face,tail wagging like mad saying 'hello' to my bitch....Whoops! :ohmy:

And the poster hoarding on the left of the bridge...At 2 am one morning returning from a night on the town with my future wife...we stopped for a 'chat' behind that hoarding for a while... :wub: After half an hours 'chat'...(I think it was about world peace) :rolleyes: I walked her the rest of the way to her parents house.There are trees there now...I think I'll nail a brass plaque on one... :)

I'm pleased that someone else remembers the pigeon wing! Brilliant!! AS for the hoarding - you are not alone in your nocturnal use. Unfortunately for my brother, he was taken short one night whilst walking home. Being in desperate need of relief he went behind that same hoarding and was apprehended upon his return to the road by a burly policeman who had seen him take the detour around the back. Duly charged with indecent exposure despite having taken precautions to hide from public gaze, he was fined, If I recall correctly, £5 and told to use a toilet next time !rulez!

Many, Many thanks for the pictures Stu. I don't suppose you have a nice one of the Station from the footbridge do you? I love the one of the sweet shop. One of my fondest memories of childhood is standing at the counter and choosing my penn'orth of sweets for the week. I had forgotten the houses on Station Road completely. just noticed the Brooke Bond sign too - I now have an identical one on my house (Watten Station) wall.

!cheers!

Great pics, thanks a lot. There are a few pics on Picture the Past featuring the Daybrook Baptist Church visible under the central arch of the bridge and many more of Daybrook Square, generally looking north.

It's interesting to see the walkway that lies on what was the trackbed nowadays. I live just just a mile up the road from there, I'kk take a pic when I'm next on foot there. Remember also that one used to be able to walk on the track's embankment on the east side of Mansfield Road rear of Alf's/now B&Q. Not sure if that is still the case. The walk takes you through a cutting underneath Arnot Hill Road just near the rear entrance to Arnot Hill House. Used to be lit, probably still is.

How familiar does that red Co-op milk float look! Did anybody used to have the Co-op butchery van call? I remember my mum used to use it regularly for our meat and a few other groceries on the van. Always a little queue of people waiting to get on the platform at the back.

What a fantastic forum this is! I am seeing photos and hearing stories of places I haven't seen for decades and all thanks to forum members - thanks all.

!cheers!

Compo, you are very welcome sir. It's great to have someone new around the place and to hear your reminisces about an area I have known for so many years - not to mention my dear Scottish Highlands.

Have another memory that I would like to discuss but I think it calls for a new subject header....

Think this was the premises of one of the Daybrook barbers referred to above, at the corner of Morley Street on Nottm Rd. Seem to remember the barbers had previously been in premises on the opposite corner just in shot on the left of the pic.

NCCC000192.jpg

http://www.pictureth...000192&prevUrl=

Looks like there had been another Daybrook barber in previous years too, note the pole (and the Lion Rampant!). Seems to ring a bell a barber's being around there...

NCCC003335.jpg

http://www.pictureth...003335&prevUrl=

The barber shop on Morley street corner was empty in 1970...I had a look at it,but it wasn't suitable for my purpose.I can't remember what was on the opposite corner at that time.

I seem to remember, and I am probably wrong, but the barber was on the corner demolished in the picture, and the barber shop as appears in the picture was a radio shop; anyone concur?

https://www.hpacde.org.uk/picturethepast/jpgh_nottinghamshire/NCCC003335.jpg

This is very interesting. The Home Brewery tower was under construction at the time of taking the photograph. Does anyone have a date for this?

...the barber was on the corner demolished in the picture, and the barber shop as appears in the picture was a radio shop; anyone concur?

The barber was definitely on that opposite corner and yes, I think it was previously a radio shop where the barber is pictured there.