Daybrook barber, Alf.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just caught this topic whilst browsing Daybrook railway Station Have joined up so that I can contribute. I actually lived in the house on the Arnold side of the bridge with a large "Pork Farms" adve

In reply to a post on the first page of this Topic regarding "Rex's" opposite the "white Heart pub" here's a photo of Rex in his Barbers Chair in 1954, Taken by my late Father. Rex is still alive a

Further to this thread, here are a couple of photos of Daybrook Square. The shop was owned by the wife's auntie, and is just out of view on the left.

Posted Images

I remember Crookie (y) crisps _ AND_ the smell of boiling wort from the Home Brewery as I passed the crisp factory. They must have shared the same yard.

Centre row right is my Mother..to her left,the blonde, is Bertha Power.They were close friends all their lives from their early teens.Berthas' husband was killed on the very last day of the war.Shortly after the war she met a guy called Jim Crookshank.She was his common law wife for many years,they never married.

It was Bertha,in her kitchen, who invented 'Nibbits' (remember them?)

He sold out to Whiteheads the brewers in I think the late 70s and went to live in Barbados.For some reason Bertha stayed here and died in the late 90s.Her son Richard ran the Bamboo Coffee Bar for several years.

561224a0.jpg

Just remembered a book I have which has a few photos relevant to this thread, so.......

I mean the building that is in the centre of the photo, it looks like a school.

I think this is/was the school, apparently called The British School.

school.jpg

And to go back to the original query

Does anyone remember Alf Hutchin(g)'s barber shop just below the railway bridge in Daybrook? I remember my father buying a fishing rod for me in about 1959ish from the shop next door.

I've found this photo which may show what Compo was referring to

daybrookbridge-1.jpg

Yes, there's Alf's shop on the right just before the bridge arch; thank you. I also remember the garage in question but cannot for the life of me remember it's name :o(

Where was the Bamboo Cafe?

Cliff Ton, the school pictured above is the school that stood on Mansfield Road near Daybrook Square. That's Morleys factory in the back ground. The British school was in the centre of Arnold on Front Street where the Arnold market now stands.

Stu

I don't know the area very well so I'm sure you are right. I was quoting the caption on the photo in the book I took it from. Seems like they've given the photo the wrong information.

Looking at the photo, isn't that Morley's factory behind the building? So maybe the photo is the building which was near Daybrook Square, but it shouldn't be called the British School (which was the one in Arnold).

Yes, definitely Morleys in the background. That building is now apartments. That's Daybrook School on Mansfield Road

NCCC003043.jpg

http://www.pictureth...003043&prevUrl=

This is the British School. I went there in it's last year of opening in the mid-sixties.

NCCC003249.jpg

http://www.pictureth...003249&prevUrl=

NCCC003045.jpg

http://www.pictureth...003045&prevUrl=

Cliff Ton,

Photo of the bridge, ad' on left hand side not very PC.......................it's a Golli**g!! must be Robertsons Jam mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :ninja:

Cliff Ton,

Photo of the bridge, ad' on left hand side not very PC.......................it's a Golli**g!! must be Robertsons Jam mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :ninja:

I still have an enamel Golliwog. One collected tokens from the jars and sent off for a really nice enamel badge. Many depicted sports but mine is just a plain Golly. Gollywogs are now back in fashion and are sold in many outlets - they even had them for sale at the John O'Groats shop last time I was there.

They are golliwogs for heavens sake...just because it's a word from the past doesn't mean it should be banned.I'm sick and tired of this PC rubbish.

I feed my birds Niger seed...there is a state in Africa called Niger,it's on the Niger river.But somewhere in this stupid country some committee...and I'll bet they're white,has decided the word is too close to a sensitive word and has changed the spelling to Nyger...I note in the UN the representative of that country sits behind a label that says Niger though.

Can we go back to Daybrook now please?... :huh:

Hear, Hear! to the PC rubbish Pooh Bear :o)

Back to Daybrook..... There was an iron foundry on Sherbrooke Road just around the corner from the Grove hotel. I recall standing by the main door watching the men welding and cutting up stuff whilst on my way home from school in the afternoons; this would be in the 1950s. I believe they cut up some small locos and trucks at one stage. It was always a red letter day when they yard man gave us some ball bearings taken from something they had cut up that day. I can't remember the name of that foundry?

My memories of Daybrook only go back to 1959 when I moved there from Nuthall Road near Aspley.I find it very disappointing the lack of info from that area when there are so many photos of other areas on Picture the Past.

Searching the site...the majority of photos are of the library on Nuthall Road...none whatsoever of the dozens of shops North of the Newcastle Arms at Basford Road...or Bar Lane/Melbourne road...and few of Cinderhill.Anybody got any?

Searching the site...the majority of photos are of the library on Nuthall Road...none whatsoever of the dozens of shops North of the Newcastle Arms at Basford Road...or Bar Lane/Melbourne road...and few of Cinderhill.Anybody got any?

Here's a couple of contributions which I hope are vaguely in the direction you are asking about.....

aspleylane.jpg

The road going up the right is Aspley Lane towards Nottingham. The almost-horizontal road across the top is the ring road (you can see the Wilkinson Street triangle in the centre); and the next horizontal road down from that is Melbourne Road. Note the fields to the right of Aspley Lane.......the photo is 1930s.

And this one says it's Bells Lane

bells.jpg

The colliery in the background is apparently Cinderhill - later Babbington

The aerial photo of Aspley is excellent, in the fields to the right of Aspley lane was a small settlement of a few houses called Cherry Orchard, that is where the father in law was brought up, it is shown on some old maps.

I think it might have belonged to Aspley Hall, It probably went when they built the offices at Chalfont Drive.

He would have been living there ine the 30s, when the photo was taken

in the fields to the right of Aspley lane was a small settlement of a few houses called Cherry Orchard, that is where the father in law was brought up, it is shown on some old maps.

That is about the same location as these surviving cottages which are still on Aspley Lane and can just about be seen on the old photo.

http://maps.google.c...,210.33,,0,1.26

• 3 years later...

Just caught this topic whilst browsing Daybrook railway Station

Have joined up so that I can contribute.

I actually lived in the house on the Arnold side of the bridge with a large "Pork Farms" advertising hoarding in the front garden. from 1961 to 1969 and spent many a happy hour chatting to the old ladies ( The Missess Barrow ) who ran the small sweet shop opposite. They would sell small glasses of pop for about 3d a go and would be very happy to chat for hours about what had gone on in and around Daybrook.

The house was originally provided for the goods agent at Daybrook Station and as my father was a railway employee, when he needed larger accommodation for our expanding family, he was allocated this house.

It had three downstairs rooms and three bedrooms, however there was no bathroom and the toilet was situated at the bottom of the garden in asmall brick built hut - a chilly event especially in mid winter!!

Alf Hutchings was my barber and also for the rest of the male members of the family - my dad trooping us all round to the shop - usually on a Saturday morning for a monthly (or thereabouts) short back and sides - it was the sixties after all!!!

Across the road alongside Barrow's shop there was a shop called Wetherall's which sold sewing and knitting supplies and also a grocer Beech wher my mother would go on Saturday morming for the weekly "order" of groceries. There was also a wet fish shop and a butcher as well as the Post Office. Opposite the junction of Mansfield Road and Nottingham Road stood a detached building housing a newsagent and sweet shop "J H Rollings" for whom I was employed as a paperboy for a couple of years.

Whilst we lived there the railway was lifted and the bridge demolished - a grandstand view from our front garden!

I was a pupil at the school on Mansfield Road just to the north of Morley's factory from 1961 to 1963 If I remember correctly it's formal name was St Alban's County Primary School and I have a school photo showing me wearing the school blazer from that period.

In 1968, I was fortunate in passing my 11+ and went to Arnold High School on Gedling Road ( now Arnold Hill School ) and walked home along the old railway line from just across from the school back all the way to my house alongside the bridge.

Where the old Nottingham Suburban line branched off it was possible to walk all the way to Woodthorpe Parl along the old formation.

Where the current new Gedling Council offices are now was an open field which usually contained a horse called Kitty who was very pleased to accept gifts of apples or carrots. I do not know to whom she belonged.

Hope this is of interest to anyone

Roy

• Upvote 11