Babs on the telly

Yesterday TV?

Sky 537; Virgin Media 203, Freeview 12

No wonder I was watching Vintage TV!

I have disconnected my Virgin, cant get anything on freeview?

And sky want to charge me £5 to watch that freeview channel!

How cool! Over here we have a weekly show called "Cafe Racer" which regularly features a coffee shop/bike repair shop in Ypsilanti where I often go for a cup of coffee in the morning!

The "Cafe Racer" - these days more often a modified Japanese bike - is really catching on over here with a number of them appearing at bike nights, and a lot of folks building them. Some based on new bikes, but a lot on older twins of almost any make.

Well done Babs!

Bloody brilliant!

I was on two of the photos, and recognised many of my old mates on others. I really enjoyed the show, pleased that the truth came out about the media lies regarding the Mods and Rockers.

We came back from Skeg one time in '65 to find we were front page headlines in that Mondays N E Post.

It was about an incident on the Saturday night, There were no arrests and there was no violence, we all thought it was a bit of fun and so did the assembled holidaymakers, who cheered us as we rode by. According to the NEP 'Tension was at it's highest as the Aces motorcycle gang charged the police lines' Pure B/S.

Yes saw it, I was on 3 of the photos, another featured one of my bikes, plus 2 of my pics used, re 65, was that the year of camping on Jinglebells football ground, the "eviction", then Gibralter Point etc? if so seem to recall a bit of a charge out of car park? a certain v tall biker seemed to spend half the early morning following it bashing out a dent in his dustbin fairing with a hammer I lent him! Re NEP reporting, they did exactly same re Friar's trip to Mablethorpe some years later, according to them there had been a riot, pubs closed down, gang fights etc, in reality think there was a one v one fight in the street, plus (god know why! a carpet pinched from a pub! no charges over that or arrests, police just recovered it. Big Mick, Baz Price, Friar, Issy and me went down NEP office next day to put our side of story, In article next night entitled "It Wasn,t Us say Notts Rockers" they still maintained there has been lots of trouble but it had been caused by some others who just happened to be there, same beach same streets etc, in same pubs same night etc

It was August '64 when the police came to evict us from the field. I had spent the previous night in a B&B, but couldn't afford two nights. There was a photo of me wearing a studded hat and smiling, with the police in the background. It sure was uncomfortable the next night sleeping on a gravel car park.

I remember one Easter it was very cold and we couldn't sleep, so we rode into Skeg at about 5.00am and had drag races from the small funfare to the clock tower and back.

Another time, 5 or 6 of us were walking by the pier, and a group of mods were kicking a floored rocker. the mods saw us and did what they always did when not outnumbering us 2 or 3 to 1, they ran off. All except one, who had not seen us and carried on kicking the rocker.

A certain Mr Barry Price, walked up behind him and tapped him on the shoulder. the mod swung round and found himself staring at Barry's belly. Baz tutt-tutted him, said 'don't do that' and gestured the mod to go away. You should have seen the mod's expression. one minute he was terrified, the next he was so relieved that he wasn't going to die after all.

All in all, the mods and rockers era was great fun.

This reminds me of being a kid in the early 60s, still at school.

We went camping somewhere down trent. would be somewhere near to Holme Road WB.

I remember that night being uncomfortable as I could hear the traffic from Trent Bridge, and

knew I was near to the Outlaws Bar, where Rockers hung out.

I suppose which 'Tribe' you joined depended who you came into contact with in your early years.

My introduction to music was the 'Santa Fa' in the Meadows, which was Reggae, Stax/Atlantic, Motown and

Some of the better Northern Soul. The latter (as I had never attended the northern venues) I always consider to be 'much of a muchness'. I never saw any Rockers there.

When the Skinheads came along, I was attending the Union Stewards Pub Discos in St Anns.

There I met my first Skinhead 'Hoss' who was a Trent ender. After this myself and friend John attended Pete 'The one armed barbers,' in St Anns, for a skinhead cut. I took one look at Johns haircut and bottled out, opting to keep my long (even for a mod) hair.

The only contact I ever had with Rockers was walking through Broad Marsh bus station, late 1960s.

One of a group behind us kicked John in the back with the sole of his boot, leaving a studded foot impression

in the middle of the back of his Wrangler Cord Jacket.

I am going to repeat Ugetsu's Post from another thread here, as it contains a Video Showing the Mod culture

Hi,hope this is O.K for a first post,

Ugetsu, youvegottohavefreedom.

How the writer from Nottingham Alan Fletcher, author of the wonderful Mod Crop Trilogy of books, placed some stories from his youth into the film version of The Who's 'Quadrophenia',

Presented by John Holmes. Thanks to Realmodworld for the link.

• Upvote 1

Hi Mick, as I mentioned before, the Sante Fe was a biker hangout in the early 60's. The Meadows Saints were the local bikers.I never knew the Outlaws bar was a biker bar, we always went to the White Hart. I did used to go to the Union Stewards on Gordon Road in the late 60's.

A commmon misconception is that we rockers just liked rock and roll. Sure, we liked Buddy Holly, Gene Vincent and Eddie Cochran,but then the Beatles happened.

Also in the El Toreador 1962'4, there was no juke box, there just was a Dansette that we used to load with eight 45s. We had discs by Sam Cooke, Ray Charles, Fats Dominbo etc. as well as the Liverpool sounds. We also dug Joe Meeks productions.

As it said in the TV film, once a rocker, always a rocker, but my musical tastes are as eclectic now as they were then. I like Jazz, Swing, Blues etc, and does anyone out there listen to Late Junction on Radio 3?

In 1968 The Santa Fa' (not Fe' as Terry Hefford tells me)

Became more and more a Black club. It became quite a bad place to go, so we moved on elswhere.

And we did have a couple of Black guys in our group. 'Black Derek' who lived on Devon Street Sneinton.

He was very thin with a front tooth missing. The other was Clive a thick set lad who always made out he was gay?

I dont know if he really was, but with us being in our late teens in 1968, It was not the kind of thing that was socialy

acceptable then. Clive I believe may have been losing his hair even at his young age.

All this Mods v Rockers talk reminds me of an incident I will always remember. Originally, being a little misguided, I thought being a Mod was cool - so I bought a Vespa. That thing (despite being cool) was extremely unreliable so I almost lived at the parts store in Sawley. One day I had parked the Vespa across the road (Royal Oak pub parking lot) - came out of the store (I forget the name) and was having trouble getting the scooter started when up walks the biggest Rocker I had ever seen - complete with leathers suitably adorned, etc. I was scared stiff and thought he was about to beat the living daylights out of me. Instead he said "Having trouble - get on and I'll give you a push". Which he did. From that day on the Rockers never scared me, and a few months later I bought my Triumph! I have never ridden a scooter since!

Finally got to watch it tonight , and she did get a line (Right at the end) but we didn't see her though !!

Graham, think the "eviction" weekend the first time I went to skeg with the aces etc, not part of them at that time though, on way there met up with ernie and fritz, can't recall who was on what, but one on a sports cub the other an ss80 C15, one of them had lost a nut off the carb studs, was riding the popping and banging bike one handed, the other hand holding the carb on! I said why not take a nut off some less important bit like a mudguard stay? they looked at one another as if to say why didn't we think of that! and this bsa bantem rider was then part of the "lads". I remember getting my "ace" from Dick! ...Had previously been going down jack's, the sheds and boulevard, Are you sure that the skeg w/e was1964? ask that as then 18 and dating an older girl not into bikes, could have sworn we didn't split up till October that year? doubt she'd have let me away for the weekend. lol

Ashley, the guy holding his carb on was Ernie.

I am sure it was August 1964 that the police came to the campsite, I had taken Val Hopcroft on the pillion that weekend, and I hadn't meet Pat yet, also, in 1965 Ernie had his Goldie and Fitzy his Bonneville.

When the police came, Sambo decided he needed to change the big end bearing on his Matchless G9, this he did, and it gave him an excuse to delay his leaving, and annoy the plod.. His big end was knocking when he left Notts, so he had brought his tools and spare bearing, I can't remember whether they were roller or shell.

We spent the next night in car park at Gibraltar Point. The police kept visiting us, to make sure we got no sleep. Unlike the mods we didn't use drugs, so without amphetamine we needed our kip.

I think he brought a complete crank! were you there when he got that plod to hold the HT lead whilst he kicked it over! If I hadn't seen it I'd never have believed it! also recall on the monday he went scrambling on nearby golf course, knackered up the greens somewhat ! am sure we slept in some pillboxes? and we did sleep, Yes thought that was your pillion, lol Easter 1967 I finished up with her at Skeggy, Issy not impressed!