Miss Dorothy Ann Chapman

Hello, I live in Northern Ireland and have recently bought a book which has the name Dorothy Ann Chapman inside, it also says aged 12 and I reckon she would have been a teenager in the 60's.

I would just be interested to see if she could be contacted and if so I think she might be interested in getting the book back.

Any help would be very much appreciated, regards Ted.

Hello Thanks for the quick reply, the book is a BIble which seems to have been given to pupils starting secondary school.

The original label has been removed but she has written her name on the inside and her age 12.

The Bible also has "Nottinghamshire County Council Education Committee" To the boys and girls of Nottinghamshire.

I'm thinking she was most likely born in the 1920's to 1940's, as the name Dorothy was not popular from the 50's onwards, well not in my school anyway. I could be wrong, 'older' names did crop up every now and again.

Why do you think the lady was a teenager in the 60's ?......I agree with katyjay, the name would suggest someone older..

I think she was that age because the Bible was printed in 1961 or after, and she has put her age as 12 on it.

Any suggestions on other ways to search would be welcomed, thanks Ted.

Ted

You have a Full Name, Approx date and place of birth.

You may be able to get family connections from Ancestry.Com

You can get a free trial account, or it may be available through your local library.

If you do, please keep us updated.

• 1 year later...

WE HAD A FEW DOROTHYS AT OUR SCHOOL BUT DONT REMEMBER ONE OF THAT NAME AND WE WERE ALL GIVEN A SCHOOL BIBLE ON OUR FIRST DAY TO BE USED IN OUR RE LESSONS AND TOLD WE NEEDED TO HAVE ONE THROUGHOUT OUR SCHOOL LIFEALTHOUGH I CARNT REMEMBER USING IT MUCH AFTER THE SECOND YEAR. BUT I STILL HAD MINE IN MY BEDROOM ALONG WITH SCHOOL REPORTS WHEN I GOT MARRIED DONT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO IT AFTER THAT .

Hello Thanks for the quick reply, the book is a BIble which seems to have been given to pupils starting secondary school.

The original label has been removed but she has written her name on the inside and her age 12.

The Bible also has "Nottinghamshire County Council Education Committee" To the boys and girls of Nottinghamshire.

I still have my school bible, and hymn book. Neither have been opened since I left school though! The bible has the same writing inside, Given to the boys and girls of Nottinghamshire. It's quite big and has a navy blue cover. I'm sure we were all issued with one when we started senior school, in those days. Doubt they are handed out now, it would upset too many other religious groups.

I was at school in the early 60s (Gedling Secondary Modern)

And at that time every pupil on starting secondary school was given a Bible & Hymn book

When we left we had to give the hymn book back the bible we were allowed to keep.

Blimey , should call you "memory man" .

I still have my Gedling bible but can't remember anything about a hymn book .

I still have a book that we were awarded as a prize . Mine was for "most improved at Geometry" or something like that and we were allowed to choose what title we wanted . For some reason I chose a book on karate !

At one time I could remember some of the hymns by their numbers! :)

No 277 When the knight won his spurs?

I don't even remember that hymn title , never mind the number in the book !

I do remember the tune though....very nice !

also know a couple of dorothys our age kath who lived in the aspley area and still do but dont know sirnames only married names one we call dot and one known as dotty,

I'm thinking she was most likely born in the 1920's to 1940's, as the name Dorothy was not popular from the 50's onwards, well not in my school anyway. I could be wrong, 'older' names did crop up every now and again.

My EX was named Dorothy, born 1955 !

Strange how names go in and out of fashion.

A couple of years ago I worked in a place where there were two women called Dorothy, both born in the early-mid 1950s, and both hated the name Dorothy and insisted on being called Dot.

Hi,I have just looked on Ancestry.com in the births and i have found a Dorothy A Chapman born O/N/D 1949 at Melton Mowbray,Derbyshire.Her mothers maiden name was Schofield.She would have been about the right age in the early 60s,She was the only one i found with the initial A for a middle name but she is registed at Derby.

Melton Mowbray is actually Leicestershire, not Derbyshire. According to FreeBMD the Melton Mowbray registration district "spans the boundaries of the counties of Leicestershire and Nottinghamshire." In the list of civil parishes covered, there are quite a lot in the Vale of Belvoir (which were in Grantham reg. district until 1931), whose residents probably regarded Nottingham as their centre of gravity. In any case, the family could well have moved into Nottinghamshire before Dorothy became of secondary school age.