Miss Dorothy Ann Chapman

Just a note the "Catholics" were given a different bible.

At my school, Carlton-le- Willows, the Catholic kids didn't go into the daily assembly of hymns and prayers, they appeared on the hall balcony at the end of assembly for the school notices.

We didn't even have Catholic kids at the Radcliffe on Trent Primary School in the early to mid 50s. They had their own school, a large old house at the top end of Lorne Grove.

We used to pass that house every day on the way to and from school and would stand and watch about a dozen kids playing in the front yard.

As soon as one of their teachers saw us standing there, they would yell at us to clear off. The kids were not allowed to talk to us.

Religious segregation was obvious back then although as youngsters, we were not immediately aware of it.

At Bramcote Hills Grammar and Arnold High, I cannot remember any catholic kids; at least not in our immediate group or class. Nothing obvious during Religious Education classes either.

Then I come out here to Oz and marry one!!!!!!!!!!

we had a few catholic girls in schoolbut they all had to come to assembly. we had a few families who had children at cathlic schools and others in ordanery non religious schools.

when i was doing work placement at st patricks cathlick school in wilford there were none catholic children but they all had to attend assembly many parents chose to send there children there because they said they would get a better education

many parents chose to send there children there because they said they would get a better education

It is not the first time that I have heard that belief regarding a better education at a Roman Catholic school.

Listening to my wifes' accounts of her schooling days at a Catholic school, it comes as no surprise when you hear tales of the cruelty of the nuns and their teaching regimes, the free use of the ruler or back of the hand, the cane and that was all before the first class of the day!

C of E schools back in the 50s and early 60s were somewhat disciplinarian with teachers not afraid to punish pupils but these Catholics would apparently put our lot to shame!

You would be too frightened not to pay attention or, Heaven forbid, get low marks at exam time at an RC establishment.

In my time at Bramcote Hills the Catholic kids had a seperate meeting with Doc Riley and as Lizzie recalls came ito the assembly hall for the notices. There was one Jewish girl who sat all on her own in a form room in the Science block with a member of staff. No idea what they talked about.

Going back to names going out of fashion. In my school we were all named with names of the 40's, like Janet, Julie, Susan, Jennifer etc, and one girl was called Claire. I felt so sorry for her, it was so old fashioned, the only Claires I knew were all my parents age or older. Now look how popular it is, from the 60's onwards, it is a very common name.

• 4 years later...

just checked genes reunited.

found a Dorothy A chapman born in Nottingham in 1943.

There are two marriage entries for Dorothy A Chapman, both in Basford.

in 1964 spouse is Coatswith

in 1972, spouse is Hassan

I can only find a Dorothy Hassan in the electoral register at 2008 showing an age range 66-70 

hope it helps