From all the model aircraft I used to sell at Beecrofts, I would think there were quite a few of those young lads that have grown up to be big boys with better toys. I am still very heavily into building and flying models and have just started sorting out my building board again for this coming summer over here. I have posted elsewhere that I was a member of the Gee-Dee MAC with their rooms in Heathcote street (now a florist I believe). I have also posted some photos. Maybe this is the place to put it all.

I look forward to catching up with some of you old modellers back there.

Andrew

• Upvote 1
  • 7 years later...

Seven years later and still no replies to the hobby of building model aircraft.

Building and flying model aircraft was a joy for me as a young teenager.

I guess the pleasure of building light and strong structures has faded away in our instant society.

• Upvote 1

I think it's changed.  More modern materials are used now.  Building a two sroke deisel powered model from scratch seems to have been replaced by using modern plastic and stuff, either with miniature jet engines, or with 4 storke or electric motors.  That said, I think there is still a place for balsa, paper and glue.

I have a nephew who is a 'big noise' on the static (Airfix type) model front.

Try this.. et seq.

There are several threads here that mention model aircraft and related things (to one, at least, I have made contributions myself). Have a look via the Search box (top right) and select keywords on the subject eg 'Jetex'.

I was a member of gee dees combat flying team in the sixties I remember prof barry parkinson bill draper no longer with us  We went all over the country I bought my first radio gear from grainy sad to see it closing but no one wants to build today everything must be instant with this generation I met some wonderful people aeroplane flying every aspect of society been doing it over 60 years and still get a kick out of seeing something I built take to the air  I came across everyone from bank managers to lunatics have enjoyed every minute of it I was a young man like grainy at the time  meeowed

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:37 PM, coughdrop said:

Seven years later and still no replies to the hobby of building model aircraft.

Building and flying model aircraft was a joy for me as a young teenager.

I guess the pleasure of building light and strong structures has faded away in our instant society.

Hi coughdrop, I fly model plans and have done for more than 20 years, but now more into drones at moment, but I still fly planes and gliders.

I don't think there a many builders out there everything is ARTF, and as you may know a lot of model shops are closing down through lack of interest.

Are you a member of the BMFA ?

Hi Tompa i think your right with all the panic stations over drones i fear all model flying will be banned within the next ten years  I have tried drones myself without auto return and sat nav just trying to fly them am hopeless have been flying all sorts of fixed wing for 60 years have taught loads to fly but like you say the ones today seem clueless They dont have the knowledge you learn from building  ask them have they checked the cg you get a blank stare I dont think the tv program did us any favours  I now fly on my own after battling many years of jobs worths at the club I was in The hobby has been very rewarding over my life span but now I am getting near the end and just go for a tootle round  The problem with drones is that they have sold thousands of them you dont even have to fly them and to expect everyone to register them is dream land its a typical civil service reaction if this is the state of our security with people turning up in rubber boats and social services all over them Putin must be laughing his socks off  good luck in all your flying make the most of it while you can  meeowed

• Upvote 1

Hi there, Well I don't really think they will ban flying but there will more restrictions put in place, especially for drones, and that's because these idiots that fly near airports either don't know how to fly them and/or don't follow the " Drone Code "    Height 400ft/ 120 metres  Distance,  fly within sight of the drone, and you should have a spotter if flying FPV. The Drone Code is simple to follow, but there is always a few that destroy it for the rest of us who fly within the rules. It is easy enough to program in height and distance on the app weather it be on Dji or Litchi. Att the moment I have the Phantom 3 professional and the Mavic Air.   If you type in on Google  The Drone Code you can see the rules. It would be good if the general public were informed about the drone code  then I could fly without people coming up to me a saying  you can't fly here, when I know I can.

• Like 1

The max flight time of a drones battery is 25/30 minutes if your lucky, if it's breezy or windy then the battery discharges a lot quicker. The drone will return home automatically as soon as the battery becomes low.  If you get into trouble when flying then you can press the RTH  ( return home ) button and it will land on the spot where you took it off from.

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6730rSs28Q

I haven't been over any towns yet, but if I do then I would have to do it early mornings or late evenings otherwise you get the " You can't fly here mob " around you.

The use of drones is used by many organisations, Police, Mountain rescue, Builders to inspect roofs on high buildings, etc.

The above you tube video is taken not far from where I live, thought you might like to have a shufti. The chap who took the video as far as I know had permission to do so.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, philmayfield said:

If you do you would have to get permission from the CAA anyway. I’m not anti drones, I bought my son one for Christmas and I’m looking at buying one for myself but it’s important to know the flying rules to stay out of trouble.

You only have to get permission from the CAA if you fly your drone commercially  ( getting paid )

I agree. A medium to large sized drone is a serious piece of kit but sadly, because of the ease of use compared to the skills required to fly a R/C aircraft its become a childs’ toy. I can see much more stringent laws coming along. It’s a pity because used responsibly they can bring visual access for inspection to places which normally require a ladder. They can also spy on neighbours sunbathing - I foresee many problems!

Bar sur Loup (where I live) is in the Gorge du Loup - it's a bit hilly here =https://www.google.com/search?q=loup+gorge&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=0c_gT77Ts8c9lM%3A%2CRRXAES6vAACqqM%2C_&usg=AI4_-kRvg6uiFe7Q9k-WZKYBRqo__kYsoQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjOhOzExOjfAhWLMewKHXLrA_cQ9QEwAXoECAIQBA#imgrc=0c_gT77Ts8c9lM:

The mountainsides provide good opportunies for hang gliding and such pursuits but, recently they have been prevented from doing so by being attacked by drones. This is causing a lot of irritation to the hang gliding afficionados, that's even before considering the dangers.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

I agree. A medium to large sized drone is a serious piece of kit but sadly, because of the ease of use compared to the skills required to fly a R/C aircraft its become a childs’ toy. I can see much more stringent laws coming along. It’s a pity because used responsibly they can bring visual access for inspection to places which normally require a ladder. They can also spy on neighbours sunbathing - I foresee many problems!

New Laws coming in on the 30th November. You will have register your drone and take a test.

• Like 1
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 6:46 PM, philmayfield said:

If you do you would have to get permission from the CAA anyway. I’m not anti drones, I bought my son one for Christmas and I’m looking at buying one for myself but it’s important to know the flying rules to stay out of trouble.

Which drone are you thinking of buying, ?? Which one did you buy for your son ?

5 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Son had Parrot Mambo. I'm looking DJI Mavic air.

I have the Dji Phantom 3 pro and the Mavic Air, I prefer the Mavic Air because its easy to transport, I also use the Litchi App because you can program in your waypoints and most other things on Google Earth.