From all the model aircraft I used to sell at Beecrofts, I would think there were quite a few of those young lads that have grown up to be big boys with better toys. I am still very heavily into building and flying models and have just started sorting out my building board again for this coming summer over here. I have posted elsewhere that I was a member of the Gee-Dee MAC with their rooms in Heathcote street (now a florist I believe). I have also posted some photos. Maybe this is the place to put it all.

I look forward to catching up with some of you old modellers back there.

Andrew

• Upvote 1

Coughdrop

I think the model shops are discussed elswhere?

Seven years later and still no replies to the hobby of building model aircraft.

Building and flying model aircraft was a joy for me as a young teenager.

I guess the pleasure of building light and strong structures has faded away in our instant society.

I think it's changed.  More modern materials are used now.  Building a two sroke deisel powered model from scratch seems to have been replaced by using modern plastic and stuff, either with miniature jet engines, or with 4 storke or electric motors.  That said, I think there is still a place for balsa, paper and glue.

I have a nephew who is a 'big noise' on the static (Airfix type) model front.

Try this.. et seq.

There are several threads here that mention model aircraft and related things (to one, at least, I have made contributions myself). Have a look via the Search box (top right) and select keywords on the subject eg 'Jetex'.

I was a member of gee dees combat flying team in the sixties I remember prof barry parkinson bill draper no longer with us  We went all over the country I bought my first radio gear from grainy sad to see it closing but no one wants to build today everything must be instant with this generation I met some wonderful people aeroplane flying every aspect of society been doing it over 60 years and still get a kick out of seeing something I built take to the air  I came across everyone from bank managers to lunatics have enjoyed every minute of it I was a young man like grainy at the time  meeowed