I hapenned to Mention Dorket Head to the member of another forum.

I got the suprising reply

"I knew Dorket Head, although it's the first time I've heard it referred to for 20 years."

Is it still regularly described as that?

Have always named, and referred to it, as Dorket Head...

My cousin, who lives near the top of the climb up from Arnold, does likewise.

Also features, by name, on current maps.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=459500&y=347500&z=120&sv=dorket+head&st=3&tl=Map+of+Dorket+Head,+Nottinghamshire+&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

Cheers

Robt P.

I pass by that way regularly and have always, and still do, refer to it as Dorket Head. I think most people in Arnold, Calverton, Woodborough and Lambley etc would do the same. It has some significance in that the local word was that it is reputedly the highest point from there to the east coast (and even on to the Russian steppes some would claim).

A trig point stands on the Arnold side of Lime Lane near the crossroads and I understand there was a Roman settlement nearby which would just have stood by the road down to Calverton.

The brick yard is still there.

We used to go up there in the days of CB radio, to see how far we could get . I got somebody from Sheffield quite regular.

We were also told that due east from there, there was no higher landfall till you reached the Russian Steppes (I often wonder if Dimitri ever turned to young Paulov, whilst standing on the Russian Steppes, and said "You know Paulov , there is no place higher than this heading west till you get to Dorket Head in Nottinghamshire !)

That whole area fascinates me.I've stood on the crest of that hill and imagined what it must have been like so long ago.Apart from the Romans there have been Iron Age finds and much earlier Neolithic flints have been unearthed.It must have been an important observation point for thousands of years.

It's possible from the hill that heliograph messages (mirrors) could have been passed back and forth to the fort in Fox Wood a mile away...and even as far as the settlement at Margidunum (East Bridgford) The Iron Age hill forts North of Oxton are clearly visible.

Communication between settlements must have been important in those days where word of mouth would have meant many hours travelling.It's well worth a walk to Fox Wood just to stand amongst the trees where you can still make out the ditches and ramparts of the Roman Fort.

Fox Wood is a terrific visit and much underrated,. That and Ploughman Wood give Woodborough village it's name from the two ancient settlements.

Oldox Camp at Oxton is equally fascinating. From the (burial?) mound that sits beside the camp it is reputed that four counties are visible - Notts, Lincs, Derby's and Leicestershire (East Midlands Airport).

Following the crest of the road towards the Travellers rest,Belvoir castle can be seen on a clear day.Nothing to compare to say Cumbria, but a helluva distance for Nottinghamshire.

Dorket Head is a slightly strange place I always feel. Most of us only ever drive past there but on foot it's quite easy to imagine the importance it would have once had. If you can ignore the passing traffic, it is quite atmospheric, maybe due to its elevated spot.

The landfill site nearby is a problem with the dreadful smells from there. I feel sorry these days for the people who live on Surgey's Lane, Jenned Road, Arnold and all the other houses nearby. It must be awful to feel you can't even open your windows in the house. The pong is very noticeable when you drive past.

Dorket Head landfill site could double in size

Dorket Head landfill site becomes more of a worry for residents

• 1 year later...

The highest (?) point in Nottinghamshire may have moved in the past few weeks as the trig point at Dorket Head has been shunted by a lorry very recently!

Dorket head is not far in distance from Arnold's original settlement which was at Cockpit Hill over towards Ramsdale. It became an Iron Age then a Roman fort.

Heard an interesting story by an older chap in Arnold this week that there were plans to take a railway line through the centre of Arnold from Daybrook Station. There were plans mooted to build a station in the centre of Arnold, not sure exactly where. The line was proposed to head to Calverton underneath Dorket Head it was claimed.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

It's a pity the pavement on Mapperley Plains Road comes to an end at the Rugby Ground, I'd love to be able to walk all the way around that area and come back down Calverton Road. It seems criminal that such a terrific view should be so difficult to reach for pedestrians. You can apparently get to the top on the Eastern side via Killisick Lane but it does require navigating your away across fields full of sheep droppings. I did once get high enough to be able to see the River Trent snaking through the valley to the East, twinkling in the sunlight, though that particular section has now been fenced off due to the extension of the clay extraction.

There may be sheep droppings...but in a good year in November it's a great place if you like blue buttons.Can't beat a dawn stroll then back home to a breakfast of bluies and bacon... ;)

• Upvote 1

The highest (?) point in Nottinghamshire may have moved in the past few weeks as the trig point at Dorket Head has been shunted by a lorry very recently!

Dorket head is not far in distance from Arnold's original settlement which was at Cockpit Hill over towards Ramsdale. It became an Iron Age then a Roman fort.

Heard an interesting story by an older chap in Arnold this week that there were plans to take a railway line through the centre of Arnold from Daybrook Station. There were plans mooted to build a station in the centre of Arnold, not sure exactly where. The line was proposed to head to Calverton underneath Dorket Head it was claimed.

That plaque was second hand - moved when a house was demolished (rumoured to be from Huthwaite)

The highest point in Notts is Newtonwood Lane near Silverhill, with Silverhill woods a close second. Strawberry Bank in Huthwaite is a close third. - all just over 200m.

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-13630511

I rremember working at The Coop on Mapperley plains in the 1970s doing some electrical work.

It was a red hot summer a bit like present. We used to sit on the roof.

My mate reconned that the next highest place looking south was in Russia?

Yes it's certainly high up there. I worked at Nottm Patent Brick Co in 1968. God! It was hot in there. Lost about a stone in five months.

My mate reconned that the next highest place looking south was in Russia?

I think you might mean east?

When my dad worked at Mapperley Hospital, he reckoned the next highest place going east was the Ural Mountains.

But on a clear day, he could easily see Lincoln Cathedral and Belvoir Castle for his office window.

It has been a lot of years since i saw this view,I never heard the name Dorket Head,but sadly that's what happens when you leave the area,places can some times fade from memory,we used to go to Calverton to the Wrangler shop when we came to Notts and that was when we would stop to see the wonderful view,And Poobear, #17 you made me fancy some blueies and bacon,but i have never seen any except when i came home,some times the men would pick them and sell them to us in the Grey Goose Bar.That will never happen again,cos its gone.