Daybrook/Arnold History 200 years ago...

Hi

I just remember my old teacher from Richard Bonnington School called Mr Sabbage telling us that their eagles would nest in their woodland surrounding Arnold. Check out the wikipedia link attached it explains better then I.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold,_Nottinghamshire&sa=U&ei=_HJhUemXMYah0QWd4IHABg&ved=0CCkQFjAE&sig2=nd4alKfwdLokHD-64vj45w&usg=AFQjCNFyz52ui4tQ9I-em3Tchs1GaaNWHA

fch782c. I used to get most of my clothes from Steeples when I were nobbut a lad. An old fashioned store with the smell of fabric and polish dominating the atmosphere.

• 8 years later...
On 4/7/2013 at 2:50 PM, fch782c said:

Hi

I just remember my old teacher from Richard Bonnington School called Mr Sabbage telling us that their eagles would nest in their woodland surrounding Arnold. Check out the wikipedia link attached it explains better then I.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold,_Nottinghamshire&sa=U&ei=_HJhUemXMYah0QWd4IHABg&ved=0CCkQFjAE&sig2=nd4alKfwdLokHD-64vj45w&usg=AFQjCNFyz52ui4tQ9I-em3Tchs1GaaNWHA

Of course Home Ales must have researched the history of the area when deciding on names for their new pubs in the past 60/70 years. When they ran out of Robin Hood related names they decided on ‘The Eagle’ on Howbeck Road.  

5 hours ago, LizzieM said:

When they ran out of Robin Hood related names they decided on ‘The Eagle’ on Howbeck Road.  

Back in the 70's the pubs in the area where I used to live were often named with a Robin Hood theme,

Forest Folk, Home Brewery, a magnificent building, shamefully knocked down to build a Tesco

Jolly Friar, Holes Ales, alas, now housing

The Archer Home Ales, still going

The Sherwood Forester, ??? still going,

The Robin Hood, Mansfield Ales, another Tesco, at least they kept the building.

The Oak Tree, Mansfield Ales, still going

The Little John Mansfield Ales, Just reopened

• Like 1

This is just about Daybrook related, as I believe former Dukes of St Albans..and their royal guests used Daybrook Station on their way to Bestwood Lodge pre 1939. I can't recall which brewery had them all, but all of the 'new' pubs in the Bestwood area were, quite rightly, named in reference to the local area being part of the former Bestwood Lodge hunting estate, originally gifted to the son of Nell Gwynne by Charles II.  Said son being of course fathered by Charles II.

So, first off was the Deerstalker..the only pub built on the original and genuine Bestwood Estate.  I watched it being built, sometime early to mid 1950s. Then, as Bestwood Park, Rise Park, Top Valley etc etc.. were developed after WWII, the Cavalier, Charles II, Royal Hunt, Nell Gwynne and Duke of St Albans all appeared..  but not necessarily in that order.  The latter being the only survivor now I think.  The Royal Hunt was close to the big Tesco just off Hucknall Road..now replaced by the inexplicably named 'Tuck and Tanner'. There was a Harvesters too.. which kind of fitted, but not quite.  It was at the end of 'Lovers Lane'.. (Now basically Top Valley Way)..our former name for the road which ran from Hucknall Road up to Topvalley Farm, where there was a big oak tree in a lovely idyllic spot. That section of Lover's Lane became a pedestrian walkway, which still exists, though I'm not sure about the tree.

• Like 1