Rowans Old Peoples Home

Does anyone remember the Rowans Old Peoples Home in Bagnall Road, Cinderhill - I worked there in 1973 and have fond memories of the nplace. I think it has been knocked down now. Other places I remember of that era are:-

1. The Post Office Sorting places in town and off Mansfield Road where I used to work at Christmas.

2. A big dairy (It might have been United Dairies) going out on the Derby Road.

3. A club in the Victoria Centre. I remember going in September 1972 and the Equals were playing.

4. A great Record Store in Mansfield Road that sold great classical and jazz records.

1. The Post Office Sorting places in town

There was the big sorting office near Parliament Street/Huntingdon Street (I think it was officially known as Brook Street), and going back a bit further there was the sorting office at Queen Street

2. A big dairy (It might have been United Dairies) going out on the Derby Road.

Was it United Dairies or Northern Dairies or Express Dairies or.....etc etc?

Actually on Triumph Road just off Derby Road. Closed down several years ago and the site is now occupied by University buildings, like everything else in that area.

Would that have been on the left of you (If you were on the 39 from Carlton to Wollaton Park) as you swung round to the right from Derby Road before heading down Ilkeston Road ?

If so it was a drill hall for the 17th / 21st Lancers (TA) in the 60s early 70s. I remember going to a flower show there a couple of times when I was a kid. Chrysanthemums spring to mind but don't quote me on it.

The place I was talking about was just to the right and slightly round the corner (On what is marked as Elliot Street)

• 1 year later...

Does anyone remember the Rowans Old Peoples Home in Bagnall Road, Cinderhill - I worked there in 1973 and have fond memories of the nplace. I think it has been knocked down now.

Re The Rowans, I am trying to trace the family of a long lost relative who died in 1983 while staying at The Rowans.Would you have worked there at that time or would you be able to put me in contact with anyone who would have contact with the residents in 1983.Many thanks in anticipation, Peter

Welcome to Nottstalgia PeterW.

Looking back at the original post, no-one ever mentioned Rowans in the subsequent replies - everyone latched on to one of the other parts of the question! And the person who originally posted it, steve47, hasn't logged on here for a long time. So it will be interesting to see if your query manages to re-boot the subject.

• 4 years later...

I grew up on Bagnall road, and remember it being built. One of my first jobs with the City Treasury was visiting all the Council run (remember those days?) Old Peoples homes once a fortnight to a) pay the residents their pocket money, and b) collect their pension books to be cashed at the King street Post Office.

This was between 1970 and 1974, so the chances are you would have seen me.

Each week,  me and Bob Woodcock would  collect cash and a cheque to pay in at our office. Except for the time Bob was so busy sorting his holiday out that he swanned off to Majorca with the cheque in his pocket. I do remember the Chief Auditor being slightly worried.

Back to the Rowans. Prior to it being built, it was part of Hacketts Farm (with the pond at the back, where Basford Hall college was built) and The Coal Board recreation ground; used to watch and play cricket and Footie there most weeks.

• Like 1