Fosset & Thorne / Radio Trent Ads / Chris Ashley

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Donny Osmond?

Part.2 ..Done lunchtime shows...mad hectic..upto 90!

Posted Images

Machin, that name rings a bell!

I was in the same year as a very smooth bloke called Machin,in 1960. Quite a hit with the ladies.

Used to drive a very flash car,think his first name wasTony. Any of you know him or his present location? (or if he was of the same family).

When I delivered for the butcher on the corner of Hartley Road/Alfreton Road (someone remind me of his name?)

in the mid 60's. Meat delivered to the Machin home (Churchfield Lane?) always resulted in a good Tip.

Usually Half a Crown cool2

When I delivered for the butcher on the corner of Hartley Road/Alfreton Road (someone remind me of his name?)

in the mid 60's. Meat delivered to the Machin home (Churchfield Lane?) always resulted in a good Tip.

The first shop on the corner of Alfreton / Hartley road was, I think, Flints newsagents. Next door was Lees the butchers. We moved out of Radford in 1958 so the shops could have changed.

Cheers, Johnl.

Hartley Road/Alfreton Road? I'm trying to visualise those roads meeting, I keep thinking of the butchers on Radford Blvd/Alfreton Road, that was Waldrons.

ooh was it opposite bentinck school, that end?

My uncle used to own the cafe near there at one point.

Machin, that name rings a bell!

I was in the same year as a very smooth bloke called Machin,in 1960. Quite a hit with the ladies.

Used to drive a very flash car,think his first name wasTony. Any of you know him or his present location? (or if he was of the same family).

No Stan, not a relative.

Hartley Road/Alfreton Road? I'm trying to visualise those roads meeting, I keep thinking of the butchers on Radford Blvd/Alfreton Road, that was Waldrons.

My uncle used to own the cafe near there at one point.

re uncle who owned cafe (now asian one?) did he used to be a boxer? and now lives in old basford?

Going down Alfreton Road, The butchers was on the left hand corner just round on Hartley Rd. As you stopped at the lights going out of town Hartley Rd on the Left

There was I recall a small newsagent on the left, alfreton rd near the traffic lights. There are houses there now Built 70's? Manston Mews?

• 7 months later...

only just chanced upon this article about Graham Neale and know nothing about the programme.

However I still have a letter written to me by Graham from his prison cell in May 1985, in this letter he sounds quite positive under the circumstances...two weeks later he took his own life.

I knew Graham quite well and we had spent some happy nights together and he was a real gentleman..it still baffles me 20 years on how such a gentle person came to do this.

RIP

• 1 month later...

Val, apart from being colleague of his at the time , I have only good things to say about Graham. What happened was certainly not the Graham we at Radio Trent at the time knew

There are of course 2 sides to every story, I heard a side to the tale that had the whole thing happened in France, it would be termed a "Crime Of Passion" and not murder.

I dont think I should disclose in public about what allegedly happened, but would give you Grahams side of things via pm if you wish.

• 1 year later...

I randomly thought of Grahame Neale tonight (don't know why), and found this site. Somewhere I've got a Radio Trent compliment slip with a note on from him after winning a competition or something. Still got the Castle Rock sticker on a box too. I think it was maybe to do with a Nottingham band called Fatal Charm who released a track called "Summer Spies" which I really liked.

Brings back lots of 301 memories:

Mike Ashley doing the "Pick and Pay Chettles Industrial Estate, corner of Ilkeston and Faraday Road" adverts

Machins - "Get your jeans down at Machins" said 3 times, once in a "western" drawl. I once walked there from Broadmarsh Centre and it seemed a hell of a way to go but I ended up gatting some stretch jeans in about 1980.

Fossett & Thorne "Caring For You"

Big City Tyres "will put it right"

Fletchers - "Fresh as tomorrow, good for you, good for me, fresh as tomorrow, better get a Flethcher loaf."

Tony Lyman "Do you go to bed with Tony Lyman?", and connected to this I also recall listening to the news in French "chaque Dimanche, 22.30" - I was doing my O Levels then.

Len Groat

Dale Winton. For some reason I recall Dale's "Toddler and Playgroup Spot" (weird).

Peter Tate

Franklyn Hughes played some good soul/dance music, and then reappeared doing a slot on Mercia Sound in Coventry where I went to Poly. Heard that he'd had a chequered past but don't know the details.

David Sale's estate agency adverts: "For Sale by Sale Nottingham 4(7)6296"

And a bit later: Ivor from Coldseal (221155)

I must have been a sponge because these are just off the top of my head tonight, which may account for the spelling mistakes.

Great Memories there Jeeves, and welcome.

Certainly the Machins voice overs was or own member (and Amber Sound DJ) Craig Strong.

Pedants corner here , it was my great mate Chris Ashley who did the "Pick and Pay" carpet adverts. (And to this day he reckons he wasn't payed for doing them as the owner was his mate!!)

• 1 month later...

I am just back in Nottingham for my mothers funeral after many years away, and saw this thread

I did the original castle rock show on the hospital radio - and then it went over to Trent when Tony (David LLoyd) went there.

Would be good to know if some of the people are still around, especially Mark (Woody) who I did the station engineering with.

Microbe

I know this duplicates two existing threads on these forums, but wasn't Castle Rock

(a) a Nottingham bands compilation album in the 70s

(b) the Trent programme presented by Graham Neale

• 1 year later...

Loved the video, brought back more memories !

Chris Ashley used to frequent the Bier Keller where I did a bit of evening work, he was a friend of Pete the owner. Always remember his profesionalism, as one particular evening we all were standing having a chat and a beer, and Pete asked Chris to do a quick spot on stage, as he was introduced, it was as though he became a different person and did his 5 mins or so as per his radio persona, then to come back and become the real nice guy he really was again.

Also met Dale Winton when I did some work at his house near Mapperley park, very funny setup wink wink nod nod, but the ladies loved him and still do I think.

While working there he had a demo disc playing on his fancy very expensive sterieo, which I had been admiring, of a new release female artist, I liked it so much I asked him who it was and he gave me the disc !

Alison Moyet - ALF wish I still had it now.

Had totally forgot about the Graham Neil thing.

I think I mentioned it elsewhere on here, but my mate Chris Ashley is now (After a failed attempt at retirement !!) happily working in the south of Spain in a town called Torrevieja. He does the breakfst show on the new station there :- http://radiotorrevieja.es/ going off air at 9.00am (Not sure what his start time is now as he has recently changed radio stations)

As banjo48 stated, he is a total profesional in every sence of the word. Brilliant with my kids and always says hello to them on air when I tell him we're listening

For anyone who knew him from his second stint in Nottingham days (Late 80s early 90s) he's still happily married to Margaret who he met when she was 'mine host' at Catchems in Basford.

I'm hoping to get out to see him and spend a week in his company sometime next year after paying an all too fleeting visit in March last.

• 2 months later...

Apologies for replying to a very old subject line but I have a few bits of information for the record for the record... Terry Thorne left Fossitt and Thorne and set up TT Tyres and Exhausts in Cinderhill Road, Bulwell. He also advertised this on the radio, trying quite comically to emphasise the TT bit because most people thought he was still advertising Fossitt and Thorne. He would have been better off paying an agency to do the ads. Someone else calling themselves 'the driving force behind Fossitt and Thorne" took over the Fossitt advertising. I recall Terry Thorne was sent to prison for embezzlement and TT Tyres also disappeared, presumably going bust.

Chris Ashley the Radio Trent DJ did a few comedy adverts with Terry Thorne for Fossitt and Thorne. I think he also advertised Pick and Pay a carpet warehouse on Ilkeston Road. Chris was a real wind up merchant on his chat shows and sports programmes but was entertaining nonetheless.

I'm off out to stay with Chris and Margaret on 21st of Feb, if any body wants me to pass anything on !!

I know I've left the door open for insults but please be kind to the recently (And finally so he tells me) retired old man !