Old Pubs in the Meadows

Can anyone remember the old pubs in the meadows,the only ones standing

are The Globe (ex Greyhound, God Bless Bob Evans)

The Riverway and The Toll Bridge.

The Plumtree still standing but being coverted into flats landlord Ken Hickling and wife Doreeen are still going in Skegness,Doreens brother Pete the milkman is still also going.

The old Sherbrooke is still standing again turned into flats but now boarded up, old landlord was Fred Randal still going in Blackpool.

The Queens is now a fireplace showroom, had some good times there with Sid Light and later Steve Webster (Now in Spain and plenty of people would to catch up with hin Im sure)

The Spinney Jenny now the Police Station

The Thre Bridges now empty

Oh for a good pub back in the meadows

:(

Amazing. Are Doreen & Ken Hickling still going strong how lovely! What are they up to Bryce?? If you went in the Plumptre Arms you might know my lovely mum,she used to go in there a long time ago in the late 60's early 70's. And Bob & Jan Evans from The greyhound, I remember them too,now they really were mine hosts & knew how to present themselves & run a pub. My dad god bless him spent many an hour [or day] in there with his old mates. I remember the snug very well, as kids we used to peep through the doors we were fascinated by it all. I lived On Ryehill St as a young kid just up the St from the Greyhound.

Yes they are in Skegness although Ken hasnt been too well, Still see their chidren occasionally Dave, Mick and Susan.

Both Bob and Joan are dead went to their funerals.

My father Geoff served in the Plumtre, New Bridge and Poets Corner bet 1960 and 1968 before he died

I just realised I think I do vaguely remember Ken Henley,was he very tall & thin?? I remember my mum mentioning a Ken & even a Bryce from way back in The Plumptre Arms.

The Rifleman, Kirkewhite Street East, my old haunts, The Sir Richard Arkwright on Arkwright Street and the TBI at Trent Bridge.

There was a pub on the corner of Bosworth Rd and Briar Street Clifton Inn??? Then just up Bosworth Rd was the "Stute" not technically a pub, but still a watering hole for me sometimes working at the pit.

Across the road and a little up towards Trent Bridge on Arkwright Street was a Shippo's pub, can't recall it's name, and on the corner of Kirke-White Street and London Road was another pub thats name elludes me.

• Upvote 1

If that's the case I think my mum would definately know you or at least remember you being in the Plumptre Arms. Are Doreen & Ken Hickling still in the pub trade?

Bryce is an unmistakeble character from the Meadows. I remember him walking past my house on Wilford Crescent West, (The New Houses) even before I worked with him. If you lived in the meadows you will probably have seen him

That would have been about 1972, or was it 1572?

• 10 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It just shows that we know nothing about the future.

12#In the article Radfordred provided part of it is about the March Hare on Carlton road.

The landlord turned down the Beatles because they were too dear at £25.

I wonder what he thought years later?

• 4 months later...

The Plumtree still standing but being coverted into flats landlord Ken Hickling and wife Doreeen are still going in Skegness,Doreens brother Pete the milkman is still also going.

Wonder if that's Doreen's brother Pete in his milk float?

P1110938_zpsaihnrlze.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just another pub which I think not mentioned is the Crocus better know as the Crowee! 

I think it might have been on the end of Crocus Street.

Most of my dad's family came from the Meadow's my granddad worked at Clifton Pit

#19 mary1947, do you mean the Crocus Inn on Goodhead St?

#18 The Plumptre or 'Plummy' must be one of the few Medders pubs I never set foot in, even though it was only a couple of hundred yards away from me.

The float in the picture is the fruit and veg cart.

Thanks Cliff Ton that's the pub I can remember. At the time I  was too young to go in the pub myself just remember mum and dad going there on a Saturday night.

I well remember the Porters Arms in the early 60's, you could hear  the trains rumbling overhead.