Robin Hood Chippy Arkwright Street.

When in the RAF during the late 60s & early 70s I used to get home occasionally for the weekend. My route home took me up Arkwright Street and past the Robin Hood chip shop. I could never resist stopping to buy fish'n chips for the family because the deals were so good and cooked to perfection. If I recall correctly, this shop was at the southerly end of Arkwright Street and on the left as you look up towards the town centre. Anyone else remember this shop?

There were two chip shops in that area.

One right next to what was similar to an old filling station?

And a bit further up was Pete the Greeks on the same side.

Yes it was between Muskam St and Orange St, you could get chips peas and gravy for 6d. This would be about 1967/8.

You get nowt for a tanner these days :(

There were two chip shops in that area.

One right next to what was similar to an old filling station?

And a bit further up was Pete the Greeks on the same side.

I recall what we used to call 'El Greeko' on Alfreton Road near Canning Circus but I didn't frequent Arkwright street sufficiently to recall Pete the Greek. Wait a minute though - wasn't the owner of the Robin Hood Chippy Greek or perhaps Italian? Maybe Pete the Greek was the owner of the Robin Hood?

I just love the memories of streets full of small shops. I recall a second-hand book and magazine shop just by the old Great Central railway bridge on the left going towards Trent Bridge and a number of pawnbrokers. I bought loads of Scalextric stuff for my lad from one of the second-hand shops on Arkwright Street. Had so much track that it passed through two rooms when fully set-up :o)

I just love the memories of streets full of small shops.

And then along came Auntie Tesco,big business, and their buddies the councillors....No wonder we got Maid Marian Way and Drury Hill disappeared.

And then along came Auntie Tesco,big business, and their buddies the councillors....No wonder we got Maid Marian Way and Drury Hill disappeared.

There used to be a great little toy/model shop on Drury Hill in the late 1950s. The planners were crazy in my opinion.

Spent many an hour late at night sitting in number two with first wife after she finished work as a barmaid...pie peas and chips...I could just eat it now.

What was the name of the pub on the corner of Arkwright Street and Queens Drive? (Just up from the chippy photo)

Beecrofts?

It is mentioned in quite a few threads on this site

Beecrofts?

It is mentioned in quite a few threads on this site

It was indeed Beecrofts; I shall have to look it out in other threads - thanks for the tip. :)

'Mimosa'...still remember the name of a Keil Kraft glider in Beecrofts...four foot wingspan...never did get to afford it.. :(

Now that's sad. I too have memories of things I could never afford - like a Hornby three rail Duchess with live smoke :(

Compo,

Place on Alfreton Road, referred to by you aerlier as 'El Greeko' actually a very good restaurant called 'El Greco' considered very posh for us Aspley, Broxtowe & Beechdale crowd that frequented it in late 60's.............. cool2

Beecrofts? was there one in the middle of Central Market?,

a stall (cabin) with windows full of toys all round, spent many a happy hour droolin' with my nose pressed against the glass, & freezin' knees from the concrete floor................

Dunno if that was Beecrofts...but I remember it...Mum used to buy me a new lead zoo animal on every market visit (age 8/10) ...The Beecrofts I visited as a teen for my model aircraft bits was at that time on Pelham street...and was it Gee Dees models over the hill in Hockley?...didn't go there often.

Thinking back...it was easy for Mother to buy me presents...I had a zoo and farm with lead animals..she just added to it...simplez!

Compo,

Place on Alfreton Road, referred to by you aerlier as 'El Greeko' actually a very good restaurant called 'El Greco' considered very posh for us Aspley, Broxtowe & Beechdale crowd that frequented it in late 60's.............. cool2

I had a sneaky feeling that was it's correct title but insecurity took control and I gave it a comedy title instead :o)

Dunno if that was Beecrofts...but I remember it...Mum used to buy me a new lead zoo animal on every market visit (age 8/10) ...The Beecrofts I visited as a teen for my model aircraft bits was at that time on Pelham street...and was it Gee Dees models over the hill in Hockley?...didn't go there often.

Thinking back...it was easy for Mother to buy me presents...I had a zoo and farm with lead animals..she just added to it...simplez!

I think you are correct it saying that GeeDee was in Hockley (on the right hand side going downhill away from town?) - it was there we bought our JET-EX fuse for connecting fireworks together and other nefarious doings :o)

Was it this building which is now bike shop? http://maps.google.c...,152.78,,0,9.63

or the one further up which now sells interesting products :rolleyes:

That looks like the one - I recall it having a double frontage. However, it is over 40 years since I shopped there so I could easily be wrong.