Jeff's fashion shops

Came across this photo in Picture the Past and reminded me of something which disappeared without anyone noticing it had gone.

In the 70s there were several Jeff's Fashion Centres around Nottingham - in the days when you had to wear flares, wide lapels and platform shoes. Anybody who was in their teens/early 20s in the 1970s (a lot of Nottstalgia viewers) must've bought something from a Jeff's shop.

jeff.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We prefer to touch, feel and try on in a shop anything that’s intended to be worn and I’m surprised my husband got me googling Levi’s. He hasn’t bothered to try them on yet either.  I did a little res

Came across this photo in Picture the Past and reminded me of something which disappeared without anyone noticing it had gone. In the 70s there were several Jeff's Fashion Centres around Nottingham -

My dad was a brickie, his standard work attire was khaki bib and brace overalls, and in winter included a donkey jacket and cap. The overalls had a ruler pocket on one side where he kept his folding

Light Blue Wrangler cord jacket bought from that shop.

My Levi Denim Jacket, which I still have somewhere,

I either bought from there or maybe Alfreton Road.

Was there one in Arnold?

Levi's, straight leg Wranglers & my very first (& last) Reefer Jacket, complete with 'anchor' motif buttons !clapping!

• 3 months later...

I purchased a lot things from Jeff's. my "Budgie" jacket in black & purple, all of my rounded collar Brutus shirts, a pair of platform shoes and all of my flare sand loon pants!

My brother worked in the Broadmarsh branch on Saturdays and full time when he left school.....it was a great loss to Nottingham when Jeff's closed down!

Mine are Ben Sherman (Tank Version).........................no fun having a lage girth, it's cost a fortune over the years..............

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Started going to Jeffs 1968, Levis straight leg button fly were under £2 I think? I'm pretty sure the standard denim

jacket was £3 10s, still had it up til acouple of years ago! Used the Jeffs on Hockley?It was on 3 levels I think.

!hand!

Yep I did that too !

Only did that during my 'Greaser Phase', with ice blue jeans, complete with 'turnups', & winklepicker chelsea boots!! (not in the bath)

Jeff's had some great clothes in the '60's l remember buying my first pair of Levi's there and a black Reefer jacket which l had for many years last year in California l saw a U.S. made one which l bought.I called it a Reefer jacket the cashier said no it's a Navy Pea Jacket anyway they are super warm.Anybody remember another mod store called Continental House? up near the Pancake House they sold some great stuff too bought a full length leather there and some high collared shirts with gold tie bars just before moving to Canada.

• 7 months later...

Started going to Jeffs 1968, Levis straight leg button fly were under £2 I think? I'm pretty sure the standard denim

jacket was £3 10s, still had it up til acouple of years ago! Used the Jeffs on Hockley?It was on 3 levels I think.

:hand:

501's were 52/6 in 1966, and the matching jacket was 63/- or 3 guineas as it was back then, so I doubt the jeans were under £2.

I bought my first full length leather coat from Leicester market, gun metal blue in colour.I am sure it didn't cost more than 12 quid. That was in March 66, a birthday present to myself.

Never shopped at Jeffs, or any other 'mod shop'. Flittermans on Hockley had the Levis, Ben Shermans, desert boots, etc' at a lower price than the 'trendy shops'.

Wakefields army stores once sold green suede boots, I think they called them 'mosquito boots'! they looked very trendy,considering they were issued to the Belgian army.

The most expensive clothing item was the 'mohair suit', bought on the 'never- never. How many guys ruined a suit before finishing the payments? :(

Jeff's had some great clothes in the '60's l remember buying my first pair of Levi's there and a black Reefer jacket which l had for many years last year in California l saw a U.S. made one which l bought.I called it a Reefer jacket the cashier said no it's a Navy Pea Jacket anyway they are super warm.Anybody remember another mod store called Continental House? up near the Pancake House they sold some great stuff too bought a full length leather there and some high collared shirts with gold tie bars just before moving to Canada.

Yup, I remember Continental House, much cheaper than Jeffs I recall....................

I bought my first full length leather coat from Leicester market, gun metal blue in colour.I am sure it didn't cost more than 12 quid. That was in March 66, a birthday present to myself.

Never shopped at Jeffs, or any other 'mod shop'. Flittermans on Hockley had the Levis, Ben Shermans, desert boots, etc' at a lower price than the 'trendy shops'.

Wakefields army stores once sold green suede boots, I think they called them 'mosquito boots'! they looked very trendy,considering they were issued to the Belgian army.

The most expensive clothing item was the 'mohair suit', bought on the 'never- never. How many guys ruined a suit before finishing the payments? :(

Mohair, not the most versatile of fabrics, one of mine got pulled to shreds by our cat!! Favourite midnight blue!!

Did sitting in the bath really do anything to shape a pair of '501s'?

I still buy 501s,the label says "shrunk to fit", not shrink to fit.

Maybe it was a sales gimmick, that we went along with,I never noticed any change in the jeans. My old mum thought I was 'crackers' sitting in a bath full of hot water,wearing a pair of new jeans.

Talk of the Reefer and Pea Jackets reminded me of the good old Donkey Jacket back in the late50s/early 60s:

donkeyjacket.jpg

Black, thick and as warm as toast. Remember serving petrol one day and it was freezing and blowing a blizzard along Castle Boulevard. Snow froze to the jacket but no worries....from the neck to the waist; warm. Elsewhere, just like the brass monkeys!