Jeff's fashion shops

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We prefer to touch, feel and try on in a shop anything that’s intended to be worn and I’m surprised my husband got me googling Levi’s. He hasn’t bothered to try them on yet either.  I did a little res

Came across this photo in Picture the Past and reminded me of something which disappeared without anyone noticing it had gone. In the 70s there were several Jeff's Fashion Centres around Nottingham -

My dad was a brickie, his standard work attire was khaki bib and brace overalls, and in winter included a donkey jacket and cap. The overalls had a ruler pocket on one side where he kept his folding

I did a paper round about'71-'74, at Ron's paper shop on Trinity Sq.Delivered to Pearts, Minsons,the hand inn,b&b on Goldsmiths st. The wages were average, used to dash to Jeffs on a Saturday and buy a Brutus shirt...their new shop was upstairs in Vic Centre,near the walkway to the bus station; was'nt as good as the one on Hockley.

• 8 months later...

“Dungarees” is indeed simply another, now antiquated, term for what we call “jeans,” casual trousers made of denim, most often blue in color. The name “dungarees” is a relic of the British colonial presence in India. “Dungri” was the Hindi name of a particular type of thick, durable cotton cloth exported from India to England in the 18th century, originally used to make sails and tents.

As far as I know for fashion they seemed to be called Dungarees and for work Bib and Brace.

My dad was a brickie, his standard work attire was khaki bib and brace overalls, and in winter included a donkey jacket and cap.

The overalls had a ruler pocket on one side where he kept his folding Stanley wooden ruler, with inset brass hinges !

Still got most of my dads tools of the trade, which I used to use when we had a permanent home. One of his old trowels is so worn it's of little use but I would never throw it out as i know how it became so worn and by whom. Suppose I'm just a sentimental old fart.

• Upvote 2

You're not a sentimental old fart, banjo48. These things are part of our lives and history and mean so much to us.

I've just read of a Nottstalgian who has thrown all his mothers belongings into skips and, to me, it just seemed wrong.

Being Nostalgic is what brings us all together.

I've just read of a Nottstalgian who has thrown all his mothers belongings into skips and, to me, it just seemed wrong.

The time to get worried is when a Nottstalgian throws his mother into a skip. Now that would be wrong.

• Upvote 2
  • 5 months later...

Thanks Jill,..............obviously I thought I was............as the sparkly ball revolved on the dance floor I really shined,........Locarno,Palais,Sherwood Rooms............lit em all up......................lol.

I recall Jeff's.

At the peak at the top of Ilkeston? Road, was Jeff's (General stuff and workwear)  'Lord Jeffrey' more of a 'boutique', and 'Miss Jeffrey', same but for the girls.

Used to buy my Lee jeans from there. 55 shillings, as opposed to the 'cheapo' 52s and 6d for Wrangler and Levi.

They used to carry some great Levi and Wrangler stuff you just dont see now.  Suede, leather and cord jackets etc.  My Wrangler Cord jacket went from pale blue to pink during my 'hippy/beat' phase.

Probably 1969 ish.

Col

# 70..............my ex had a trouser suit like that Jill.............well remember her 'cart-wheeling' across a Dance floor in Peterborough in it,........she wasn't dancing.........she'd slipped on some spilt Beer................

• Upvote 1

You don't have to fork out a fortune in overpriced so called fashion shops nowadays.

With the plethora of charity shops about there are some real bargains to be had, top name stuff too, at the fraction of the price !

• Upvote 2
  • 11 months later...

I first started wearing wranglers in the mid seventies and always got them from Jeff's. They used to sell seconds, labelled as"irregulars", with a small fault in the dye or stitching getting you a pound or two off the price. I remember jeans were a lot tougher then. You literally had to break them in like shoes when new. They gave me saddle sores between the legs.

Also used to go to the wrangler shop in Calverton if someone had a car.

If I am not mistaken (and at my age I probably am) Jeff's was owned by the same chap that owned Johnson's Menswear.

There was a shop in Denman Street that was run by a mate of mine, Alan Baines. I can remember buying clothes there in the mid 60s.

I bought two suits, one a grey striped suit with matching gun metal grey shoes and the other was a pea green 3 piece suit with matching shoes.

Cuban heels and all. Thought I looked It and a bit more!

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

I used to buy Levi's in Jeff's  As I recall both Levi and Wrangler jeans were 52s6d.  Again, from memory, the mods mostly preferred Wrangler jeans, whilst the more 'beat' types wore Levi.

I was never a Mod, though I enjoyed the same music and DJ'd to crowds of mods. At some point I discovered 'Lee' jeans.. not to be confused with Lee Cooper....which were very uncool by the mid-late 60s.  I don't know who made 'Lee' jeans, but I liked the fit, and the fact that the back pockets were half-lined.  Lee were 55s in Jeff's.. but worth the premium.. though in the end they didn't last any longer than any other jeans.  I bought a mid blue Wrangler Cord jacket.. which I eventually dyed Red. I was into dyeing things to get  my own colour.  I always wanted a Levi leather jacket.. but could never justify the cost.

I always bought decent well fitting shoes, and good jeans.  Much of the rest was a mix of all sorts, from army surplus through to some half decent 'branded' kit.

• Like 1

The go-to place for Ben Sherman shirts and Denson winkle pickers. Fluorescent knitted ties and socks were at one time also on my shopping list