Jeff's fashion shops

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We prefer to touch, feel and try on in a shop anything that’s intended to be worn and I’m surprised my husband got me googling Levi’s. He hasn’t bothered to try them on yet either.  I did a little res

Came across this photo in Picture the Past and reminded me of something which disappeared without anyone noticing it had gone. In the 70s there were several Jeff's Fashion Centres around Nottingham -

My dad was a brickie, his standard work attire was khaki bib and brace overalls, and in winter included a donkey jacket and cap. The overalls had a ruler pocket on one side where he kept his folding

Since I’ve been using Amazon and the rest I doubt I’ll ever go into a shop again. I suppose from where we live, going to any serious shop means at least a 20 mile round trip. Even the closest garden centre is an 8 mile trip. I’d never done a great deal of online shopping before the lockdowns but, apart from our visits to the excellent Gonalston Farm Shop, everything is delivered to our door or parcel box.

Amazon service is second to none but they are expensive. A workbench we looked at yesterday £49, on Amazon £169 for exactly the same article. 

I can see the attraction of online shopping but I like to see and feel, the better to make a judgement on an items quality/suitability. There is little that I absolutely can't wait a couple of days for delivery.

We prefer to touch, feel and try on in a shop anything that’s intended to be worn and I’m surprised my husband got me googling Levi’s. He hasn’t bothered to try them on yet either.  I did a little research and they were the same price in John Lewis so on this occasion it worked and they arrived the day after ordering even though I don’t pay for Prime.   I just hope that my favourite shops will still be around when this virus buggers off.  

• Like 4

Same here Lizzie. Being a 'True British Pear Shape' clothes take on a whole different shape when I put them on. I would be returning them more often than not. Waste of time and money for me to order on line. I don't know how to do it anyway. :wacko:

Well Carni, with these jeans he’s ordered at least the sewn on leather label at the back reads the same as previous pairs he’s had so they should fit him.  Must admit that most items I’ve ordered on line have had to go back though.  

• 3 months later...

I worked at Jeff's on Alfeton Road in 1972 for a couple of years, then rejoined them in 1977 and became manager of their branch down Hockley

Great times, great people, great place to work. The directors were Mr Johnson (cant remember his first name)  and John Radford. General manager was a guy called Dillon Mansbridge. 

On Alfeton Road they had 3 shops, a men's and ladies next door to each other next to a pub called The Rose and Crown, and another shop opposite that sold more in the suit line. 

Does anyone know when they closed down?

• 1 year later...
On 9/1/2013 at 1:44 PM, mick2me said:

I have an original Levi Denim Jacket from 1968!

Still Have mine from around 1970 tho.

I remember two tone Levi's Sta-Prest from there and a suit jacket. My ma said it was about time I smartened meself up . An ex Skinhead lol