Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc

I seem to remember a Maypole shop on Radford Road either opposite Randle Street or Selhurst Street and I'm sure it was on a corner and maybe painted green and gold but this was before the demolition of the slums .I googled it but counldnt find a picture and then I got sidetracked looking at old photos of the Green must admit it brought a tear to the eye.I even found some photos of The Boys Club that had pictures of my late brother on.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

By Request then.............. Like all other aspects of my Teen years,at Marsdens,loved doing deliverys to customers on the Granville with big Basket..no gears and hardwork up the hills of Bestwo

Next delivery was Mrs Taylor....who lived 2 doors from me on Andover road  .......knew her all my life...even Babysat me when i was a little un....a very formidable lady had 5 kids all much older than

Last delivery to Mrs Timberlake...Hucknall road..... Morning Mrs T....Where you want me to put your Order ? Just leave it on the Hall Table Ben...How much is it ?  (she was a customer that p

Posted Images

Nonna...................Farrands always sold groceries,but as years went by on Fulforth st the Wines and spirit side of the trade became most prominent.

• Upvote 1

Benjamin, I meant that by the time you were there, I wasn't. We went from Huntingdon st to Sherwood when I was about 10. I think Im older than you. Maybe not wiser , but older. Lol

• Upvote 1

I'm sure you are wiser nonna..............i was there on and off between 63 and 68............and Sugar was only 1/6 2lb bag............lol

Edit..........hope in time the words 'you are'............pheww

• Upvote 1

No loppy,the Marsdens on cliff-tons photo,is/was about a mile coming from Daybrook past the sports ground on Valley road corner of Heatherley drive classed as Basford...........funny thing is that Bridge on Photo was where a school friend of mine fell,he survived but was never the same.

The shops are still there. I often get my losing lottery tickets from there.

My god F2, you must be a glutton for punishment. Why don't you get your lottery tickets from somewhere that sells winners!

• Upvote 1

We often used to come off the ring road at Mansfield road end. Turn left towards Mansfield and then immediate right, under a railway bridge at a little traffic island and right turn to Breckhill Road. I was thinking the little grocery store at the bottom was a Marsdens.

Could have been one there,but i don't recall it,...........there was a Farrands opposite Thackereys lane on that bit of Mansfield road,.....even remember the Manager Mr Coleman a man from Norfolk,...........

I know the area loppylugs is referring to, and I can see why the photo at #124 reminded him of Breckhill Road. There are several shops scattered around the junction, and there also used to be a railway bridge there. I didn't know the area back then, but you can get the idea from this https://goo.gl/maps/fo1qBU5ekJR2

Yes and several of the shops lend themselves to being a Marsdens size,locallity etc..............drove around that island this very morning.

• Upvote 1

The shops are still there. I often get my losing lottery tickets from there.

I get mine from Morrisons and I nearly always win something.......need to change your shop.....

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

This one?

free.jpg

Just as a point of interest cliff-ton...........this shop later became a Vernons.......

At least one other person on the forum remembers Vernons..........looking back on this thread TGC gives it a mention......see, i did'nt make it up..........lol.

Yes, Farrands had a wharehouse and offices on Wigman Rd, just on the roundabout joining Hollington Rd. I worked there in 1965 as a graphic artist doing the posters and sale tickets. The warehouse manager was called Ernie I think. While I was there one of the warehouse staff died suddenly and his name was George. I was only fifteen and straight out of school. His death really hit me as I used to often sit with him in the canteen. Head of the Art Department was John Stapleton, my boss. Some good memories until I got the boot after 6 months due to the introduction of Selective Employment Tax.

• Upvote 1

I worked for them when you were there then...............and i remember John Stapleton really nice bloke...........

Edit.............until you mentioned him I had completely forgot him......a real memory jerker.....

John Stapleton used to also come out to new store openings and refurbishments and i remember often having a young apprentice type youngster with him,about the time you were there 'Old Man'..........they had expanded into Supermarkets about then called Thrifty and Savemore,the ones i recall about your time were Coalville in the precinct,Sherwood on Mansfield rd,Cotgrave in the precinct they were Thrifty's and the Savemores were Clifton Southchurch drive,Lenton on the corner of Radford Boulevard and Castle Boulevard,and Bulwell Main st..............

Nobody owned all the Spar shops Loppy.......they were all owned by individual shop owners that banded together to form a national trading group of independant retailers........the same applied to VG,Mace,APT,Alliance,Wavy Line and many others,.......Different Wholesalers operated the supply of their goods.

• Upvote 1

AB.Gibsons of Daybrook were who i worked for throughout the 70s and they were the VG Wholesalers for the East Midlands,Lincs,South Yorkshire and East Anglia,........Richardsons of Lambourne drive were Mace,and i think Linnells of Lenton were the Spar/Vivo.........i was employed at one stage as Retail operations Advisor'......fancy title,i basically canvassed the others persuading them to join VG.

Great days with a good company.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc