Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc

I'd forgotten about the biscuits with 'pimples' on them, whatever were they called?

Lincolns ?

• Like 1
  • Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

By Request then.............. Like all other aspects of my Teen years,at Marsdens,loved doing deliverys to customers on the Granville with big Basket..no gears and hardwork up the hills of Bestwo

Next delivery was Mrs Taylor....who lived 2 doors from me on Andover road  .......knew her all my life...even Babysat me when i was a little un....a very formidable lady had 5 kids all much older than

Last delivery to Mrs Timberlake...Hucknall road..... Morning Mrs T....Where you want me to put your Order ? Just leave it on the Hall Table Ben...How much is it ?  (she was a customer that p

Posted Images

Another memory surfaces with help from this forum.

When I was about 11 or 12 , I used to do deliveries for Marsdens on Mapperley plains, they had one of those old Raleigh bikes with a fixed frame up front with a wicker basket on it, terrible thing to ride as it had no gears, and wobbled around when loaded up !

It also had a steel advert plate between the frame for Marsdens !

You weren't the only one had to ride one of those damn things.The old sod I worked for used to load it right up and I was only a short arsed 14 year old.

I got the grand sum of a shilling an hour.

9dbca067db57a737fb96e8105df5b017.jpg

The pimply biscuit....

Second row down and first on the left????

Thanks, that's the one!! & it's called lincoln, thanks DAVIDW

:biggrin: Those pimply biscuits (Lincoln) I recall 1d each at school playtime (not cheap). :biggrin:

PS: Biscuits back then were not cheap, only Broken Biscuits - if you were lucky enough to come across them.

PPS: My grandma always kept Arrowroot Biscuits in; to help an upset tummy I'm sure.

I still love Arrowroot Biscuits, get mine from 'Heron Foods' in Bulwell, cost 45 pence a pack. Lovely with a cup of tea, trouble is once I start eating them I can't stop. I was tempted the other day to have some with butter and cheese on the top but cholesterol worries stopped me! Anybody else any ideas about what to serve biscuits with? :biggrin:

Arrowroot biscuits are risky to dunk!

Regarding buying single biscuits at school, if you were really rich you could buy Jammy Dodgers.

The rich kids also had cups of hot chocolate.

Arrowroot biscuits are risky to dunk!

Regarding buying single biscuits at school, if you were really rich you could buy Jammy Dodgers.

The rich kids also had cups of hot chocolate.

Hot Chocolate?

We only ever got milk (third of a pint) and sometimes in winter it was frozen solid

In winter at one school, in blackpool, I remember those bottles being placed in boiling water till they were warm.

The milk really tasted good.

:biggrin: Remembering when Jammy Dodgers were first introduced at School breaks:

Delicious - loved 'em - cost a penny each; expensive, much cheaper now that you can buy packets but don't taste the same, ambrosia back then, a grand treat to have with school milk when taking a break from the tedious slog of Maths and English - forming the majority of the timetable at William Crane Juniors. :biggrin:

Home and Colonial, Marsdens, Liptons were all distributed fairly generally in the Nottingham area up until the late 50's or so. All were general grocery stores with long counters staffed by aproned assistants. No doubt that these type of personal service shops were ousted by the rise of self sevice supermarkets.

Talking of the local grocers............who else remembers Mansells, the general grocers on Radcliffe Road opposite the TB pub?

Have memories of going into Mansells when just a little one. Was in the 50s, living at 8 Holme Road with the grandmother (and later when living at Carnarvon Road) and the main shopping was always carried out along that stretch of Radcliffe Road, including the butcher, greengrocer and even the barber.

Remember going into Mansells, wooden floor, dark wooden counters, shelves up to the roof, chairs at the counter for the customers and good for standing on, men behind the counter with brown aprons/coats: mother or gran producing their ration cards and the smell of everything combining into something hard to describe but, unforgettable to this day. If pushed, I would describe it as the smell of coffee beans, chocolate, a saddlers shop and furniture polish.

Odds and sods shopping was carried out in a shop at the top end of Holme Road where it intersects with Central Avenue at Lady Bay Bridge. Think it might have been called Heffords?

Found a picture of the old shop site on PTP. Looks as though somebody had sense and retained the old signage of Mansells but sadly, it would appear that the actual shop is no more.

Radcliffe%20Rd%20c1980.jpg

Unfortunately Horspools disappeared about 15 - 20 years ago. The original family who worked almost round the clock retired and passed away, and the new generation allegedly just let the business flounder and wwind up. The shop in the village was taken over by "outsiders" and the cafe and tea rooms also taken over. The cafe became an Italian restaurant which has been ongoing for many years, and the tea rooms has changed hands a couple of times.

The original bakery and shop were so well regarded and the bread and cakes were wonderful! Ah well, the inexorable march of progress!?

:biggrin: I've heard of 'Lambs frolicking in May', now we have 'Cats frolicking in March!' - Luv it. :biggrin:

PS: Good to see your latest Production Pooh Bear.

PPS: Looks like the cat is desperately homeward bound............................

I've always wanted to compliment P/Bear on his wonderfully funny "productions" but never knew where to post it, so I am glad to be able to take this opportunity. Thanks P/B and thanks Jackson for the excuse.

Meant to ask you P/B where you found the clip of the duck biting Ed millibands nose?

• 2 weeks later...

Wasnt Farrands wherhouse, werehouse, wherehouse (non of them look right) at the bottom of Wigman Rd

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc