Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc

marsdens andover rd bestwood est,i started there in 1960 as errand boy,farrands bought them over about the same time,and between them they had shops all over notts,i worked in most of them over the next 7 years,middleton blvd,long eaton,chilwell,west bridgford,daybrook,sherwood,arnold rd,bulwell market,valley rd,broxtowe lane,strelley,willoughby st,hillside,clifton,denman st,beeston,st.anns well rd,meadows,to name but a few,happy days and lots of real nottingham people.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

By Request then.............. Like all other aspects of my Teen years,at Marsdens,loved doing deliverys to customers on the Granville with big Basket..no gears and hardwork up the hills of Bestwo

Next delivery was Mrs Taylor....who lived 2 doors from me on Andover road  .......knew her all my life...even Babysat me when i was a little un....a very formidable lady had 5 kids all much older than

Last delivery to Mrs Timberlake...Hucknall road..... Morning Mrs T....Where you want me to put your Order ? Just leave it on the Hall Table Ben...How much is it ?  (she was a customer that p

Posted Images

netherfield also had a marsdens opposit st georges church my sister worked there seventies.

welcome benjamin

GOT ME REALLY REMINISING NOW,MARSDENS/FARRANDS WERE IN TURN BOUGHT OVER BY MOORES STORES OF NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE SO THEY ENDED UP WITH STORES FROM UP THERE ALL THE WAY DOWN TO BIRMINGHAM AND LEICESTER AND THEY WERE AMONG THE 1ST TO START SELF SERVICE STORES,I WAS PART OF THE TEAM THAT CARRIED OUT THE CONVERSIONS THROUGHOUT THEIR WHOLE AREA.ALL THE STORES AROUND NOTTS WERE CONVERTED AND MANY CHANGED THEIR TRADING NAMES,IE BULWELL BECAME SAVEMORE AS DID LENTON,SHERWOOD BECAME THRIFTY,AND MANY OF THE OTHERS BEGAN TRADING AS VERNONS PRICE DOWN,DENMAN ST AND ST.ANNS AMONG THEM.

YES PIGGY AND BABS I WORKED THERE AND HAVE GREAT MEMORIES OF THE MANAGER MR HOWARD AND SOME REALLY FUNNY CUSTOMERS,I THINK IT WAS ON VICTORIA RD

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY PIGGY AND BABS AND FOR YOUR WELCOME MICHAEL BOOTH,I HAVE LOTS OF HAPPY MEMORIES AND FUNNY STORIES OF THOSE LONG AGO DAYS AMONGST LOVELY PEOPLE

Wasnt Farrands wherhouse, werehouse, wherehouse (non of them look right) at the bottom of Wigman Rd

It was Sir.

They distributed to Marsdens, Farrands, George Briscoe, John Favours and Vernons Price Downs from there.

I used to work for them around 1963.

ST Anns Well Road, Radford Rd, and Bulwell Market to name a few. Loved the job.

The staff used to claim that the one on Radford Road had a ghost of a butcher - but I didn't come across him.

I do remember the shod inspector (but not his name). A short Scottish chap who always had his pipe burning away, even in the back of the shops.

Reminded me of 'Happy days'.

his name was tommy lindsay and he lived in hucknall,or it could have been archie beckworth both were called inspectors,in those days they nearly all smoked even in the shops,farrands warehouse was indeed on wigman rd also the head office.one of the main bosses was a big yorkshire chap named bob vaughan his son was one of the PAPER LACE pop group

• Upvote 1

his name was tommy lindsay and he lived in hucknall,or it could have been archie beckworth both were called inspectors,in those days they nearly all smoked even in the shops,farrands warehouse was indeed on wigman rd also the head office.one of the main bosses was a big yorkshire chap named bob vaughan his son was one of the PAPER LACE pop group

Ah.. yes Mr Lynsey, that was it, thanks.

Remember, opening the wooden cases of dried fruits and weighing and wrapping em. As with the lard, tub butter, flour, rice etc?

Out on the delivery bike at weekends, taking orders to customers too.

The manager on St Anns Well Road was Mr Gaunt I think, another smoker.

Thanks for the info.

thats right i seem to recall the name mr gamble,we used to pull the shop blind out and it was often hit by the trolley buses,i probably worked with you,did you finish up in security mate/?

thats right i seem to recall the name mr gamble,we used to pull the shop blind out and it was often hit by the trolley buses,i probably worked with you,did you finish up in security mate/?

Yes... that's it Mr Gamble! Thanks again.

I remember losing control whilst pushing the loaded shop bike up the hill at the side of the shop, and it slid on the ice down and under a number 40 trolleybus. Oh dear did I cop-it!

I moved to Tesco (Hockley) and then to the NCS (24 years), until I ventured into me own business that failed rapidly leaving me with debts I have only just paid off, then to Carter's Pop at Kegworth for a few years, until redundancy forced me into the only job I could with agencies, then got a job as security guard at Scan, who changed to Securex, then onto Sawley Security, where I ended up as controller - before redundancy again spat me into the unwanted pile, and back to the agencies.

Then the ticker gave up, and several op's later, Arthur Itis enlisted with me body, stomach ulcer, deafness and bad eyes put an end to any chance of success in me job hunting.

Then retirement age was reached - Ah! - and I became a man (using the term loosely) of leisure.

Me short term memory ain't good, but I seem able to recall things from many years ago alright?

Oh... I waffled on a bit there, sorry.

no problem gerry,enjoyed your waffle lol,i also went into security as a store detective,1st with moores stores then debenhams and then a london company where i covered most of the country.met some terrific people including the shoplifters,they come in all sorts especially the nottm ones,i actually liked alot of them

YES IT WAS ON VICTORIA RD ON THE CORNER OF BOURNS ST OTHER CORNER WAS CORNER HOUSE CAFE AND NEXT TO MARSDENS WAS WALKERS TOBACONIST ALSO MR WALKER WAS A HERBILIST AND MADE ALL KINDS OF MEDISONS AND PILLS HORRIBLE TASTING COUGH LINCTUS BUT AFTER A COUPLE OF DAYS TAKING IT YOU WERE MUCH BETTER AT LEAST I WASTHINK IT WAS THE THOUGHT OF TAKING THAT HORRIBLE STUFF AGAIN THAT CURED ME. YES CERTAINLY WAS SOME FUNNY CHARECTORS IN NETHERFIELD. I OFTEN GO IN MARSDENS ON THE WAY TO SCHOOL FOR 3 PENETH BROKEN BISCUITS FOR BREAKTIME.

THE MAIN THING I REMEMBER ABOUT MARSDENS NETHERFIELD WAS THEIR TELEPHONE,AN OLD SIT UP AND BEG TYPE,THE ONLY ONE I EVER GOT TO USE,OH I REMEMBER ONE LADY WHO WORKED THERE BECAUSE OF HER NAME LOLA,LOVED THE NAME.THE MANAGERS NAME WAS STAN HOWARD HIS BROTHER SID WAS ALSO A MARSDENS MANAGER,AT SHERWOOD.

no problem gerry,enjoyed your waffle lol,i also went into security as a store detective,1st with moores stores then debenhams and then a london company where i covered most of the country.met some terrific people including the shoplifters,they come in all sorts especially the nottm ones,i actually liked alot of them

I only had to make two arrests in all me years on the job, and they were so I could use reasonable force to protest others property/persons.

One of then, who was only 19 and drunk at the time, managed to come at me and 'Ross' the dog had him. Boy the hassle I had after that - yet it was all on CCTV, including his hitting me on the head with a fire extinguisher!

I saw that lad years later, working in a Building Society - so I'm glad he pulled himself together.

TTFN

all shoplifters dont stand out,ie young,drunk,chavvy,i caught a chap in kegworth a few years ago,he had pulled up in a jag,he was about 40 and very smart wearing a nice crombie and gucci shoes,in was when goods had price tickets on, i watched him take the ticket off a 2.99 bottle of cheap plonk and put it on a bottle of jacobs creek 7.99.he paid the 2.99 and left the store,when i nicked him he was most indignant. turned out his girlfriend loved jacobs creek, oh yes and he had over £300 in his wallet,loved catching his sort. :)

• Upvote 2
  • 9 months later...

Been remembering a few of the names of Managers in Marsdens/Farrands shops in the 60s and wonder if anyone on the forum also remembers them or are related,

Mr Richards,Andover rd,Jock Brown,Mansfield rd,Mr Howard Netherfield,Sid Howard Sherwood,Mr Coleman Sherwood,Eric Storer Beechdale,Albert Drayton Arnold rd,Mr Sweetman Hucknall,Jack Pinder Bulwell,Dennis eyles Long Eaton,Sid Clifford Radford rd,Mick Patman Lenton,Eric Osbourne Bulwell,Mr Horton Northgate,Bernard Montgomery Beechdale,Mr Gamble st Anns,Pete Kingsland St Anns.

Long time ago i know,but you never know,some lovely characters.

• Upvote 1

Been remembering a few of the names of Managers in Marsdens/Farrands shops in the 60s and wonder if anyone on the forum also remembers them or are related,

Mr Richards,Andover rd,Jock Brown,Mansfield rd,Mr Howard Netherfield,Sid Howard Sherwood,Mr Coleman Sherwood,Eric Storer Beechdale,Albert Drayton Arnold rd,Mr Sweetman Hucknall,Jack Pinder Bulwell,Dennis eyles Long Eaton,Sid Clifford Radford rd,Mick Patman Lenton,Eric Osbourne Bulwell,Mr Horton Northgate,Bernard Montgomery Beechdale,Mr Gamble st Anns,Pete Kingsland St Anns.

Long time ago i know,but you never know,some lovely characters.

Hi Benjamin , one of the names you mention there is Mick Patman at Lenton. I went to a funeral last week for a Robert Patman who I worked with at Elastic Yarns and he lived on Grove Road Lenton. As it is an unusual surname they could have been related.

Mick passed away 3 or 4 yrs ago,and yes he lived on Grove rd,......sadly that looks like his son,how old was he?

One you didn't mention.............I don't remember the name (in fact I don't think I knew it) but I can picture the man who was manager of the Marsden's at Varney Road, Clifton in the early 60s.

I was relief Manager when i did Varney rd Clifton ((ciff ton) so i never met that one and also don't remember his name.

#62 Dave,

i used to work with Mick alot and travelled all over with him can't remember his brother,Mick would be about 74 now and he was a good bloke.

• Upvote 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc