Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

By Request then.............. Like all other aspects of my Teen years,at Marsdens,loved doing deliverys to customers on the Granville with big Basket..no gears and hardwork up the hills of Bestwo

Next delivery was Mrs Taylor....who lived 2 doors from me on Andover road  .......knew her all my life...even Babysat me when i was a little un....a very formidable lady had 5 kids all much older than

Last delivery to Mrs Timberlake...Hucknall road..... Morning Mrs T....Where you want me to put your Order ? Just leave it on the Hall Table Ben...How much is it ?  (she was a customer that p

Posted Images

• 11 months later...

When I was just a lad, late 50's, there was a grocers on Aspley lane called Farrands, apparently this was part of a chain around Notts, anyone know of more?

& if so where? Also there was another grocers chain in direct competition with Farrands, come on alll you ex delivery boys, shout up!!

there was a farrands in main street bulwell 1960s

• Upvote 1

there was a farrands in main street bulwell 1960s

Yes worked in that one Bomber,early 60s,funny enough shop there now for me papers most mornings,Asian bloke owns it 'Anil',and always have some good banter with him.

#85 I lived on Grove road, late 70's early 80's one of my mates dad was the manager of the supermarket, I think it was called Liptons then. I am not sure but I think his name was Kennedy.

Worked that one as well Ray,..........Liptons became part of the same set up as Marsdens/Farrands,called 'Savemore' when i was there 68 ish.

Mr Yelland was the Manager and i think Mick Patman took over from him,

Yes worked in that one Bomber,early 60s,funny enough shop there now for me papers most mornings,Asian bloke owns it 'Anil',and always have some good banter with him.

there used to be a liptons in 60s where iceland is now and there was a melia grocery shop nearby where wilkos is now in bulwell.

• Upvote 1

There was a Farrands on the High Street in Hucknall in the 50's - was taken over by Finefare later on...........Me mam always went to the

CO-OP.......

Worked there Blonde, about 62/63,Was relief Manager when Mr Sweetman the Manager was on holiday,lovely little man with an Arthur English tash,also dated a couple of girls there,.........Val and Dot. :biggrin:

Also remember 'John' next door mens 'Outfitter' used to swop a 'Bacon joint' for a nice shirt.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the photo is Goose gate not Carlton Street.

Carlton Street is quite short running from Victoria Street/Pelham Street to Heathcoat Street

I think the photograph was taken from the corner of Brightmoor Street

Yes Pooles was pretty well opposite George Street. I suppose where the picture was taken from depends on how long the photographers lens was! Wasn't there another tool shop down there?

edit: remembered it as I pressed post. It was Gillotts. Always seemed to have loads of scissors

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc