Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

By Request then.............. Like all other aspects of my Teen years,at Marsdens,loved doing deliverys to customers on the Granville with big Basket..no gears and hardwork up the hills of Bestwo

Next delivery was Mrs Taylor....who lived 2 doors from me on Andover road  .......knew her all my life...even Babysat me when i was a little un....a very formidable lady had 5 kids all much older than

Last delivery to Mrs Timberlake...Hucknall road..... Morning Mrs T....Where you want me to put your Order ? Just leave it on the Hall Table Ben...How much is it ?  (she was a customer that p

Posted Images

Well blow me, I recognise the Dewhurst shop where a mate of mine used to work but always thought it was on Hockley but is in fact Carlton street.

Everybody used to (and perhaps still does) refer to the whole length of that road as Hockley; but officially Hockley is only the short stretch at the end beyond Cranbrook Street.

Farrands. When we first came to Nottingham we lived on Huntingdon St. mum used to shop at Farrands which was just around the corner from us. on the corner of Mansfield Rd and a short st which went from Huntingdon to Mansfield . Going towards the centre Woodborough rd was the next corner down.

Going down what I thought at the time was Hockly on the right hand side used to be a dolls hospital this must have been about in early 50's as we went to live in Sherwood when I was 10 does anyone remember?

worked in that one nonnab,.....it was mostly wines/spirits, jock brown was the manager for a few years.

was on corner of fulforth st.

Thanks cliff,that's the one,Benj and Nonna,on the corner of Huntington st and woodborough rd..same side as school, was a maroon shop,double doors, owner was a baldy fella,a miserable scroat, always wore grey smock,

"One Kid In My Shop At A Time"!!!

that would be jock brown ian,......always seemed a misery but a real nice bloke when you got to know him,and very knowledgable regards the wine/spirit trade.

he lived on arnold rd about 4 doors from the 'heathfield' pub.

Benjamin. I cant remember it as a shop selling only wines & spirits but I must have been only 7 or 8 . Thats the one tho I couldnt remember Fulforth st. but I can remember a horse dying outside our " big yard". It was a horse and cart and the poor horse was lying on the cobbles covered in blood. The big yard was the rear of our houses and the local Doctor Used to park his car there and us kids used to beg a ride on the cars running boards. We played marbles under the fire escape and I remember a boy trying to be clever throwing darts at a target ( another boy) and the dart went into his leg.

it sold groceries as well nonna,but as years went by the licensed part slowly took over,they even had beer on draught and sherry from the wood,the farrands in bulwell went the same way.

Thanks Cliff ton. Thats the one you can see our " big yard". I remember as a child it seemed huge but a few years later I was surprised how small it really was.

Goods pics Cliff,photo 2. shows us the fleece pub,to the right was bill the barber (flat top supremo) the narrow end of peel street,the premises to the left of Peel st. was the coin-op, then (the sixties) was Danny Layburns hardware.. that became Central cars taxi office circa '86-87.

• 7 months later...

Thankyou Cliff-ton,..................was probably in there slicing Bacon..........streaky at 1/6lb,shoulder at 3/- or even middle flitch at 4/6...........lol.

And on the corner of Fulforth st i'd have bee pulling a pint of Sherry from the Wood at 5/- per pint in Farrands

• Upvote 1

Not in my day Benjamin. Mum used to get some of her groceries from there and her weekly order went to a grocers further up mansfield rd on the left hand side. Think the name was Hills, I remember taking ration books there with her.

I can remember all these four good shops in Hucknall back in the 50's...........My mum always shopped at the Co-op because of the divvy.........her order number was 4425........

• Upvote 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc