Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc

Another shop name which often crops up in various old photos is R & E Clay. They sold clothing and fabric and knitting things, and had several shops around the Nottingham area including this one on Radford Road.

clay%20shop_zpswekv3vdu.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

By Request then.............. Like all other aspects of my Teen years,at Marsdens,loved doing deliverys to customers on the Granville with big Basket..no gears and hardwork up the hills of Bestwo

Next delivery was Mrs Taylor....who lived 2 doors from me on Andover road  .......knew her all my life...even Babysat me when i was a little un....a very formidable lady had 5 kids all much older than

Last delivery to Mrs Timberlake...Hucknall road..... Morning Mrs T....Where you want me to put your Order ? Just leave it on the Hall Table Ben...How much is it ?  (she was a customer that p

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there. I am new to this thread and feel a little like an intruder to this site as I was born in London, living in Bristol/Bath area now.

My grandparents used to live at 385 Aspley Lane when my grandad was the manager of Farrands which was at that location. My mum and uncles lived there for many years. I used to spend 3 weeks every August holiday from school there and have great memories of the store and of Nottingham. Someone else has mentioned the smells of the store with their hams and cheeses.They also mentioned the biscuit tins that were displayed at an angle to present them to the customers. I remember these things distinctly. There was a store yard at the back of the shop and a hatch that led into my Nan's kitchen which I used to enjoy crawling through - if only I could do that now!

we used to visit King George's park up the road to watch my uncles play cricket and would also go to Melbourne Park to play on the swings. I remember the shunting yards for the train from Babbingtin (Cinderford) colliery - the lines always seemed wonky as thoughtlessness had got to them. My uncle remembers the train crossing Melbourne Road with a man holding a flag to ensure pedestrians were OK.

One for Benjamin1945 - my grandfather's name and manager of this Farrands was Joe Dove and he retired in the late 1960s. He used to carry out store audits after retirement and I vaguely recall that he may have done these with one or two other men, one of whom may have been Bob Vaughan. Please let me know if you recall him. Happy to share other stories.

Loads of other memories from my childhood of the area and Nottingham which I can share if others are interested. I am 65 now so these memories would be from around 1960 to 1969. Thanks.

• Upvote 6

Ayup & welcome Steve, King George the V Playing Fields was one of my local football parks when we weren't winding up the park keeper by climbing on the pavillion roof !

We are similar ages Steve & could have been there at the same time !

• Upvote 1

Hello SteveS,

Welcome to Nottstalgia. I enjoyed reading your first post and was pleased to read that you have more memories and stories to share. I look forward to reading your next post. Have fun.:)

Welcome Steve,...........I do indeed recall Joe Dove your Grandad,......and the best way I can sum him up was that he was a real Gent and always had time for us young un's,............also recall Bob Vaughan who I have mentioned on here previously,big Yorkshire fella who became General Manager and his son who was one of the 'Paper Lace'............often had a pint in the Beechdale on a Friday night with your Grandad and Bob after some stocktaking...........really nice to hear of someone from my Farrands/Marsdens days,.................edit......also remember Joe being always very smart with grey hair,and yes did some stocktaking with him in Vernons stores Ian,do you recall those Steve?

Edit again............I think the other name you will remember Steve would be Ken Barrand ?

Thanks Benjamin and apologies for the delay in replying. It is great that you remember my grandad and you are correct about his smartness. Always remember his grey suit, braces and clean shirt for work and his shock of white hair. He would have been around 45 years older than you and just leaving as you were starting. I do remember well him having an after-work drink at the Beechdale.

To continue the Aspley Farrands theme, my Nan (Alice) and Uncle Brian (still with us and 79 years old) both also worked in the shop. Nan in the shop serving and my uncle as an errand boy but before your time.

Around Farrands, there were a row of shops selling an assortment of things from cakes to bicycles - so interesting compared and providing well for the locals. I always remember the 'beer off' on the corner of Melbourne Rd where I would shop for crisps to eat whilst warptching the early Coronation Streets with Nan and Grandad. Ena Sharples, Martha Longhurst, Minnie Caldwell et al were relatively new to our screens when I watched in the early 60s.

i have a list of the names of these shops from my uncle if people are interested.

Weekend treat was to either walk or get the bus down to the Wheatsheaf (now sadly closed I have seen recently) and sit outside on the swings whilst Mum, Nan and Grandad were inside drinking Shipston's beer. We would be drinking ginger beer and having a great time on the swings. Sometimes we would be lucky and get some chips from the fish and chip shop behind the Wheatsheaf.

Cat fan - My uncles both played cricket for Trentham Cricket Club and frequently at King George V playing field. I remember the pavilion mentioned earlier by you so maybe we were there at the same time!

My Uncle Brian also used to play football for Aspley Wanderers so if anyone recalls either of these teams (cricket or football) please let me know and I will pass on any information to my uncle.

Benjamin1945 - i have spent an age looking at the website 'Picture the Past' that you mentioned in a post long ago. So interesting and brings back tons of memories! I looked at Sutton in Ashfileld where a lot of my distant relatives lived and which I used to visit as a child. 120 or more pages of 8 photos each but many of areas I remember in the 1960s.

The Aspley ones showed photos of William Crane school which my mother attended from the age of 10 in 1935. There were photos from 1936 so I was hoping to see her - alas I couldn't recognise her but so interesting. So thanks for pointing me in that direction. Sadly Mum passed away last year so I am unable to share these memories with her.

I spoke with my uncle last night and mentioned this wonderful site and the photo website. He doesn't have a computer but is coming to stay with me next month. We will spend many a happy hour trawling the threads and photos.

i have lots of other memories which I shall share soon. Love to you all.

• Upvote 7

Nice memories, SteveS. I too remember the swings at The Wheatsheaf and calling with my father on the way home for fish and chips at the chip shop behind it. Not been in that area for a very long time but on the last occasion it all looked very sad. I'm told there's going to be a MacDonalds where The Wheatsheaf was.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Jill - it is such a small World!

I just loved the smell of the beer from the pub at that age. The summers always seemed so sunny and dry compared to today and the evenings on the swings were memorable.

PS. Credit to Cliff Ton for the Picture the Past website and to Paulus for starting this thread.

• Upvote 1

Glad it made you happy Steve that I recalled your Grandad........I knew him from probably 1960-to-69 when I left to join A.B.Gibsons,.......and he always stood out to me with the way he spoke in a Gentle voice and his smartness,struck me as a very caring man,did'nt particulary like Stocktaking but with him it was a pleasure........and always when on the the shop floor it was surnames or Sir only............

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

A late welcome, Steve.  I'm in a different time zone to most of you guys.  So don't always catch who's new while they're still new.  I enjoyed your posts and look forward to reading more of your memories.

• 4 weeks later...

Think you have cliff-ton,but from another angle also think the Marsden sign is on the side street as well...........still there?...........worked there in the 60s,...........in the 80s a chap called Wilf Harrold and his lovely family ran it...........

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc