Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc

Thanks for the link, it looks close but there used to be a cinema on Hartley Road which would have the Saturday afternoon children’s show, show horror movies at night and regular movies after they had complete their showings at the main cinema’s downtown.

The Capitol on Bobbers Mill did the same but became a Bingo Hall. I looked on Google and see that although the building is still standing it is now a church and the Wheatsheaf pub on the corner of Nutthall Rd and Aspely Lane is now a McDaonalds. What is the world coming to, if we don’t watch out the they will turn the Trip into a Tapas bar soon.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

By Request then.............. Like all other aspects of my Teen years,at Marsdens,loved doing deliverys to customers on the Granville with big Basket..no gears and hardwork up the hills of Bestwo

Next delivery was Mrs Taylor....who lived 2 doors from me on Andover road  .......knew her all my life...even Babysat me when i was a little un....a very formidable lady had 5 kids all much older than

Last delivery to Mrs Timberlake...Hucknall road..... Morning Mrs T....Where you want me to put your Order ? Just leave it on the Hall Table Ben...How much is it ?  (she was a customer that p

Posted Images

I'll never escape my Marsdens/Farrands days (not that i want to) even though its now 50 years ago,,only this morning i spoke to several people i worked with there or had relatives that had,, was having a chat with one of them when out of the blue,a lady said,, ''well bleddy hell fancy seeing you two after all these years''....neither of us recognised her,,until she told us her name.......we had all worked at Marsdens Andover road at the same time in 60/61,,anyway we had a nice chat for a few minutes.

Then went into Wethers'' and before i got to the bar,,someone called my name,,''crikey fancy seeing you'' she said.     it was a lady i worked with at Valley road Marsdens,,again in the early 60s,,we 'waxed lyrical for a while,,cheered me up telling who had died since our days together,,finally got to the Bar,,bloke next to me said ''ey-up Ben (paul) know your face i said, is your surname .....? yes says he,remember you bringing our Groceries when i was little, on Bestwood'' i remembered him his brothers and his Mam and Dad,,.....crazy lovely morning............

• Like 5
1 hour ago, katyjay said:

Can see why you don't want to leave Bulwell, you know everybody! 

Katy i never said it was Bulwell...........mind you it was   lol,,

I tend to make passing comments,,which invariably leads to a short conversation,,which in turn leads to something or a person/place we both know,, i'm probably ''ODD'' but don't care,,just find folk interesting  :rolleyes:

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...

Worked Savemore Worksop about 1967 when it opened "bridge st i think?

Those bacon parts ready for slicing bring back memories.,,

Then in the 90s worked across the road at the Coop,,catching lifters,,liked Worksop,some super shoplifters,, lol

• Like 1

Great window display Rog,,i may have mentioned this before,,i have a""certificate in window dressing"" 

Used to flash it at shoplifters,scared em to death,,  lol

Think sun canned fruit was south african,,also at that time there was KY ftuits,think they were Australian, often wondered where my life had gone when being offered a job in NZ promoting for export 'Kiwi' fruit,,

Always think its chance meetings have determined our lives,,

• Like 2

Me mam used to shop at Reeson’s (I suppose it might have been Riesen’s) which was on Carlton Road, just below Cardale Road and Linton Rise. In fact the ahop is still there - the last shop bedore the old railway cutting to Sneinton. Mr Reeson was an old, white haired gentleman who wore a long white overall/coat. Sugar was bought in a stiff, blue paper bag which he filled from a sack or something, and butter was cut off the slab. Biscuits were kept in a rack of tins with glass lids so you could see inside.

The shop seemed very old, lots of wooden shelving, wooden floorboards and a dusty, fusty sort of smell. It must have been old ‘cos when my mam said when they were young, they used to stand outside and watch the mice play in the window! Probably explains the smell!

He used to give us credit, but when we reached an embarrasing amount, we used to go over the road to a grocer’s at the bottom of Porchester until payday came and we could afford to pay him off before starting the whole process again.

I seem to remember that there was a Marsden’s further down Carlton Road, on the right, on the corner of Woodhouse Street or Randolph Street, where my grandma shopped.

Yes AG there was a marsdens where you say,,did a short stint there about 1961,,the sign on the corner wall was still visable a few years ago,think it still is,   

Cliff ton kindly posted a photo somewhere on here,

22 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Lots of biscuits seem to have vanished.

Abbey Crunch, Burtons Pennywise Wafers, loved Lemon Puffs and Lincolns..Malted Milks and Morning Coffee.Walkers Shortbread and Ritz cheese sandwich. Garibaldis..Tins of TeaTime.

I really miss Lincoln biscuits, they were my favourite as a kid

• Like 1

I used to like Lincoln biscuits as well - green wrappers - suppose it was Lincoln green.

I also liked Barmouth, Morning Coffee, Rich Tea. Hated Marie biscuits - they were a bit like Rich Tea but they didn't dunk successfully. They retained a hard middle and a soggy outer. Morning Coffee were by far the best for dunking.

Most biscuits were too sweet for me and I never liked chocolate biscuits except for Bournville Wafers.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Thats brilliant cliff ton,, often regretted not having a list of them............just glancing down it i only counted 12 i'd not worked at.

Already invoking more memories of them days,, which i will be relating.............lol

• Like 2

Also Cliff thats not the full list.....no Sneinton blvd or Andover road where i started..............love to see a list of Frank Farrands shops as well,, they joined forces about 1960.

Sneinton Boulevard is there - just below the join in the list.  As for Andover....this is approx 1962, so could it have closed by then ?

I also looked for a similar list for Vernons - who I don't remember - but couldn't find anything. What years did they exist ?

Andover road was still there in 62,,Vernons began from marsdens conversions in about 62,,think still going in 1970 ish,,there was only a few of them,,St Anns well road,,Denman st,,Broxtowe lane,,and Queen Street mansfield,,these were the ones i worked at,,  

1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

Also Cliff thats not the full list.....no Sneinton blvd or Andover road where i started..............love to see a list of Frank Farrands shops as well,, they joined forces about 1960.

My father told the story about when he was sent by his company to resolve a problem with some goods they had supplied to Farrrands. Frank Farrand gave my father a right bollocking! It was only when he got up to leave did he see the notice on the wall behind Frank's desk. "Manners Mayketh Man" !

Keep looking back at the list of Marsdens supplied by cliff ton,,, different memories from nearly all,, from the top ish,,        Redhill,, tiny store which was on the corner of Mansfield road opposite Oxclose lane,,first shop i actually relief Managed,,i was only 16 and being within walking distance of Bestwood Estate they asked me to look after it for a week in 1961 while the Manageress was on holiday.........Remember it was very busy with folk coming and going to work,,bit like a lot of todays little corner shops,,really enjoyed it,customers full of banter,,when they bought their Fags and lit em while still in the shop and having a good cough,,   lol.........

Thanks again cliff ton,,Thought would have been more F.Farrands,, worked in em all except Alfreton and Newark,,also remember  Jock Brown Manager at Mansfield road,,and Mr Coleman Manager at Daybrook.

Jock Brown also managed Andover rd Marsdens for a while,,lovely Scotsman from Lanark,,.

• 1 month later...

Farrands,, Marsdens,, Maypole,, Melias,,, etc were all small multiple stores going back many years..before being swallowed up by bigger fish,,.........just made me think about another group of small Grocery stores,, which operated differently to the afore mentioned,,, IE they were all individually owned but traded under common banners and supplied by different wholesalers,,         after my Marsdens/Farrands days i joined ABGibsons at Daybrook.,,who operated the VG Franchise in Nottingham,, Lincs,, south Yorks,, Midlands East and West,,in the 60s 70s 80s there were many other names that operated in the same way,,, many in Nottingham,, do you recall some of these names,,

Alliance

Centro

APT

Wavy line

Spar

Vivo

Maid Marian

Victor Value

VG

Mace

Nisa...........plus many more whose names i don't recall now....you might enlighten me ?

There were literally thousands of these stores nation-wide.........a few names still operate obviously.....but trade differently nowadays

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc