Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

By Request then.............. Like all other aspects of my Teen years,at Marsdens,loved doing deliverys to customers on the Granville with big Basket..no gears and hardwork up the hills of Bestwo

Next delivery was Mrs Taylor....who lived 2 doors from me on Andover road  .......knew her all my life...even Babysat me when i was a little un....a very formidable lady had 5 kids all much older than

Last delivery to Mrs Timberlake...Hucknall road..... Morning Mrs T....Where you want me to put your Order ? Just leave it on the Hall Table Ben...How much is it ?  (she was a customer that p

Posted Images

Think someone mentioned 'Milk bread' on here the other day,,,i had forgot about it,,,can't recall 'big round flat breads'' Col,, Regarding Roy Lander,,he was my sales manager at AB Gibsons,,,and from Mansfield where 'Landers bread' was also from..........At Marsdens we never dealt with Landers ,,it was always Blanchards of Watnall...........''Wonderloaf'',,

Edit......just remembered Col. the name Lander could be you recall the Lander family who lived on Leybourne...........

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Big round flat bread things which in my memory were about the size of a dartboard.  Again, moulded in lines so they could be broken up into small 'cobs'. No idea what they were called

One of these Col?

bread wheel

• Like 3

Them's the ones Brew!

Now.. what were they called?  ;)

We called them bread or Cob wheels. I have heard them called a 'round' of cobs though

• Like 1
3 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Had a great result this morning,,,been looking and making comments on ''Nottingham way back when''........at troggs instigation,,,

Well you all know of my love of Marsdens/Farrands....

Also know your love of lighthearted flirting online!    'Diane'  would have possibly taken up your offer of carrying stuff into the shed at the shop had she been there the same time as you!    NWBW will soon be hearing about your other exploits, I think...   I'm not a troll but I had to have a peek after your saying you'd been on the site.   I often look on there but rarely contribute.

• Like 1

No Margie,,i nearly got tempted at a bit of flirtacious banter.........but using my own name and knowing many on there,,fought the temptation,,,never thought i would go on owt like that,, but trogg told me about a photo of Leybourne drive residents (where we lived as kids) so got mesen on it,, try not to say too much though...........ya don't miss owt do ya,,...............lol

Ben, I think I must have too much time on my hands today....   I was only being A BIT nosy.  lol

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Marsdens/Farrands  Management spotted in me early my lust for travel....at first it was just around Notts,,,then they tried me in the wider World,,Derbyshire no less.

I was only 16 it was 1961, and they asked me if i would go to Chesterfield for a few days,,,,no help with getting there just given the address,,,Farrands,,Low Pavement,,Chesterfield.

Went by 'Milk Train' at about 4 in the morning it seemed to stop everywhere,,can't recall where i caught it from,,,got me to Chesterfield about 8am,,,found the shop introduced myself,,Manager said ''hev a cup of tea and a fag,if you smoke,then i want you on the window all day'''''

Had me tea and a smoke,,then donned me white coat and apron,,,well what a day,,busiest shop i'd ever known,,  my job was to keep the Window display of bacon full all day and serve customers,,,i loved it,,especially all the Banter'' in a foreign Tong,,,

I was only there a friday and saturday,,,,

Went to the office on Wigman road monday morning to collect my expenses and duties for the week,,Mr Vaughan (dad of one of the Paper Lace)was there to thank me for going and pay my expenses,,, can't recall how much,but it was for train fare and i cheekily claimed for 20 Parkies for being up early and getting home late,so smoked more than usual.  Great bloke was Bob Vaughan,,,he thanked me for what i had done and paid me laughing and called me a 'Cheeky Bogger'

That was the start of my travels of our fair land,,which lasted up to last year and me being 73,,,,love to do it all again.

Sorry for Waxing Lyrical,,just in that mood this morning............

• Like 7

Heather from Heath, and the Wingfield Widow.

• Like 2

How you know about them Fly ?............bet you didn't know Brenda from Buxton or Edna form Edale............lol

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately not cliff ton,,,if only we had thought back then,,,went everywhere with me ''Apron'' rolled up...ready to serve the ladies,,,,

Half a pound of Streaky,,,

Nice piece of Polony,,,,

Ounce of Yeast,,,

LB Bag of Be-ro self raising,,,

Thankyou Mrs Spendlove,,,thats 4/9,,,

Tell your Beryl i'll be at Marble Arch at seven o'clock,,,teking her to 'Delphi'........to see Expresso Bongo''...........

Edit..........just changed a name to protect the innocent.........lol

• Like 3
4 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Heather from Heath, and the Wingfield Widow.

I bet Ben would tell  us, keep away from widda's.  If they get yer, yer've 'ad it.  I should know, I married one. ;)

• Like 1

When i was between marriages and living in a nice flat (with kids) in Carlton,,i was persuaded to go to a divorce and singles night by my neighbour who was still devastated by his split up,,it was at Turners above the coop on Mapperley top,,

It was full of Widda's and all looked desperate and dangerous,,unfortunately one was my neighbours ex,,he broke down sobbing and left early,,

Turned out she weren't too bad,,had a nice flat and made good coffee,,, lol

• Like 3

The heading of the thread got me to thinking of these stores in  Mansfield.

I can remember either a Farrands or Marsdens just off the corner of the market place at the top end of Church Street almost opposite the Police box.

Others that have been mentioned on another site are opposite Broomhill School, Wood Street and Moor Street and I think on Sutton Road

There was also a  Marsdens at Wood'us 

I wonder if our Ben graced them with his presence

I was at Church Street (think marsdens) when it was either converted to self service or just had a face lift,about 63,,

Relief managed Marsdens at wood'us about same time,,also did a bit at marsdens,Chesterfield road, Plessey,,and was part of the team that converted Queen st,,to Vernons,,loved working Mansfield area as a young man,,the girls thought Nottingham was glamorous,, 

• Like 2
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc