Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

By Request then.............. Like all other aspects of my Teen years,at Marsdens,loved doing deliverys to customers on the Granville with big Basket..no gears and hardwork up the hills of Bestwo

Next delivery was Mrs Taylor....who lived 2 doors from me on Andover road  .......knew her all my life...even Babysat me when i was a little un....a very formidable lady had 5 kids all much older than

Last delivery to Mrs Timberlake...Hucknall road..... Morning Mrs T....Where you want me to put your Order ? Just leave it on the Hall Table Ben...How much is it ?  (she was a customer that p

Posted Images

And the buildings are all the same today,,,,if the camera 'Panned to the left you would see Marsdens and to the right Farrands............

Edit......and just look at all them blokes,,,3 piece suits with flat caps,,,,same picture today would be blokes of all ages in shorts and flip flops,,,not a tie or waistcoat to be seen,,,where's the pride ?

• 4 months later...

That junction was known as the ""Roaches"" its left its mark on me,,worked a week in the Marsdens,,one of my ex"s worked in the savemore which was part of the farrands/marsdens set up,,another Ex worked in Rowells between the two,,,

Still on the same junction i did a lot of work at the coop a opposite Rowells,always caught loads of lifters in there,, oh yes still on that junction my ex bilaw runs a restaurant,, 

I dont frequent Stabbo anymore,,, lol,,

• Like 1

Somewhat off-topic but the mention of Rowell's in Bulwell reminded me of a Fred Radford who worked for me at Gerard's. Anyway, Fred's wife ran a small haberdashery shop near/on Bulwell market place and I wondered if anyone has any recollection associated with this?

When would this have been, jonab? I knew Bulwell quite well in the early to mid 70s but don't recall a haberdashery shop near the market place or the main street.  There was rather an old fashioned shop, a bit like Rowells, which sold ladieswear. I've mentioned it before but I can't recall the name.

6 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

I don't think I'd seen this one before. Stapleford, junction of Nottingham Rd/Church Street. 

To develop the Ben-link even further, a few months ago I was at the Wetherspoons in Stapleford which is just down the road from the scene in the photo. It's confusingly named the John Borlase Warren; same bloke as the one at Canning Circus.

Sir John Borlase Warren was born in Stapleford in 1753 and his family lived there for about 300 years, the Canning Circus pub is the impostor. Prior to the Wetherspoons JBW there was The Warren Arms across the road for about 300 years.

To complete the link Marsden's shop at the Roache was owned by David Attenborough's baker and grocer grandfather back in the early 1900s.

14 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

When would this have been, jonab? I knew Bulwell quite well in the early to mid 70s but don't recall a haberdashery shop near the market place or the main street.  There was rather an old fashioned shop, a bit like Rowells, which sold ladieswear. I've mentioned it before but I can't recall the name.

Sorry, I should have put some time periods in. I was at Gerard's 1974-78. Fred Radford was in his late 50s or so. He was a small man - less than 5ft, I recall. 

My use of the word 'haberdashery' might be a bit imprecise. It was a shop which sold clothes, knitting wool and similar.

8 hours ago, davep5491 said:

To complete the link Marsden's shop at the Roache was owned by David Attenborough's baker and grocer grandfather back in the early 1900s.

That's interesting.  As a child, I knew a Mary Attenborough who was one of the senior girls/student teachers at my ballet school in Nottingham. She would have been born around 1945.  I recall her saying she was related to Dickie Attenborough, the well known actor and director.  He and his brother, David, are usually associated with the Leicester area which, I believe, is where they were born.  I wasn't aware of the Notts connection but this explains it.

Jonab, it's feasible that the shop I remember may have been the one you mean.  It stood roughly opposite the now demolished King William IV pub in Main Street.  They may have sold knitting wool and other items. I can't say as I never went in. I was a teenager at the time and judging from the items in the window, their stock was aimed at older females. The place looked to have been there for many years.

That figures, Jill. I remember Fred doing business for his wife 'on the side' at Gerard's. All the stuff seemed to me to be for, let's say, the older woman.

I can't give any indication as to where the shop may have been as I don't know Bulwell at all well - despite travelling through almost daily when a student living in Hucknall and going through Bulwell on a Trent bus into the city.

Could be. I've tried many times to recall the name of the shop. In my mind, I can see it had a blue fascia board and pinkish red lettering but I can't see the name.

I do remember that, when sale time came round, the window would be full of stuff they'd had for years and never sold, including what looked like flesh coloured Edwardian corsets!  They almost certainly had liberty bodices too! The shop itself was fairly old property and could well have been demolished.

LOL,, Blimey trogg,,that must be old,,Tarrantella tomatoes were the best,,and came in unusual flat cans,,

But cardboard boxes in the 60s,,and i have a photo somewhere from 1966 of a display of them selling at 1/4,,

Ben my son found it when clearing his loft out to insulate it. He brought the house from an old Lady who purchased the house new in 1936, she died a few years ago at the age of 102,  the house needed major updating. On the box it does say the cans are flat, so again you have proved you have a fantastic memory , especially for ladies names.

PS 

I was only joking when I asked if you  had to unpack them.

• Like 1

TT Toms were the only ones that came in that unusual flat can 500gr, 

They were very popular,,don't know if there still about,,

As an addition to the subject of TT flat tins, when I  were about 10 ish, my dad used to have a ' bundles of wood round'. We would cut up the wood in my grandma's  cellar, (dads mum) to roughly 6 inch lengths and I  would pack them into the TT tins. They made the perfect size for bundles. Wire would then be wound round and 'Hey Presto ! you had a neat package. We used to spend hours in that cellar, making up the bundles. I seem to think they sold for 2d a bundle. Dad must have had about a dozen tins and with my older brother, we had quite a good production line. Come to think of it, I  never did get paid owt. This was all done in a cellar on Commercial  road. What's  more, I  would use the axe !!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Beekay said:

Come to think of it, I  never did get paid owt. This was all done in a cellar on Commercial  road. What's  more, I  would use the axe !!

That's terrible BK, 10 years old and didn't get paid !

• Upvote 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc