Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc

6 hours ago, Waddo said:

That's terrible BK, 10 years old and didn't get paid !

His dad was quite right Waddo, 10 is too young to be employed but he can volunteer all he likes!         ;)

• Upvote 1
  • 5 months later...
  • Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

By Request then.............. Like all other aspects of my Teen years,at Marsdens,loved doing deliverys to customers on the Granville with big Basket..no gears and hardwork up the hills of Bestwo

Next delivery was Mrs Taylor....who lived 2 doors from me on Andover road  .......knew her all my life...even Babysat me when i was a little un....a very formidable lady had 5 kids all much older than

Last delivery to Mrs Timberlake...Hucknall road..... Morning Mrs T....Where you want me to put your Order ? Just leave it on the Hall Table Ben...How much is it ?  (she was a customer that p

Posted Images

Just come across a Photo of '''Thrifty supermarket'' Mansfield road, Sherwood,,from 1967 when i was Manager there,,,it was a converted Farrands shop,,i'll get Granddaughter to put on here later,,,it shows all the special offers which you may find interesting,,most have got the half P on,,but cant do it,,,

Chef Tomato Ketchup...........1/5

Kraft Luncheon meat.............1/4

Crosse blackwell soups.........1/1   and  9d

Giant Persil..............................2/10

Batchelors Soups....................10d

Oven ready Chickens...............8/11

Vim..........................................10d

John West Salmon.................3/7

Pyrex Casseroles....................5/11

in the window are most of the products ,with my hand written prices on....The store is still there and trades as Spar....back then it was opposite Fine Fare,,Pork Farms,,Britons fruit veg,,and Judges cakes,,........from Memory the store takings were about £2,000 per week,,not bad for its size in those days.

• Like 3

And clear the bill every month, it was a charge card originally not a credit card.

2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I remember when £20 a week, £1,000 a year was something to aim for. When you earned that you had 'arrived'!

I was once courting a girl when I was about 17. She lived on Arleston drive, Wollaton. I worked at Raleigh at the time and remember once saying to her that I'd be happy when I reached 21, as I would be on full money then, about £14/15 a week. " Really", she said. " I get that now for pocket money". She was 16 and I think her dad was a dentist. Needless to say, we didn't stay together for long !

Hiya LL., when she told me that I  was devastated! I thought, " bloody hell !" She's getting twice as much as me.

Don't think her dad was too impressed with a lathe jockey. Story of my life.

• Like 1

Shop workers and retail in general have always been 'Low pay''..........even when i was about 20 and Managing different shops my old mates who mostly went down the Pit were earning much more,,and they had saturdays off and played football.

But i was never jealous........i could get in my car in a morning drive to different parts of the country and 'banter' all day,,,i had a lot of time for my old friends who went underground for a shift and toiled all day.....but never for me,,i wouldn't have seen and met people and places all over Britain if i had joined me mates......in a way i'm glad all the Pits have gone,,now i feel sorry for all the 'order pickers' working in places like 'Amazon'' on a tight schedule and under scrutiny for the performance all shift....

Benjamin1845 is almost old enough to remember women working down t'pit.

The Mines and Quarries Act banning women and girls working underground in mines came into force in 1842. Boys aged above ten could still work underground.

Oops, Benjamin1945

• Like 2

Grandaughter just added photo....thanks  Chloe................Just come across a Photo of '''Thrifty supermarket'' Mansfield road, Sherwood,,from 1967 when i was Manager there,,,it was a converted Farrands shop,,i'll get Granddaughter to put on here later,,,it shows all the special offers which you may find interesting,,most have got the half P on,,but cant do it,,, 

Chef Tomato Ketchup...........1/5

Kraft Luncheon meat.............1/4

Crosse blackwell soups.........1/1   and  9d

Giant Persil..............................2/10

Batchelors Soups....................10d

Oven ready Chickens...............8/11

Vim..........................................10d

John West Salmon.................3/7

Pyrex Casseroles....................5/11

in the window are most of the products ,with my hand written prices on....The store is still there and trades as Spar....back then it was opposite Fine Fare,,Pork Farms,,Britons fruit veg,,and Judges cakes,,........from Memory the store takings were about £2,000 per week,,not bad for its size in those days.

104375502_394553841462424_3136535610058058183_n

• Like 5

104001801_2663519903923332_7549542451744753606_n

Same year 1967,,,,got wed.so went back to BRSA Bulwell to be a Barman again for some extra 'Dosh'.........great job being a Barman there,,,4/- per hour,, the others on the photo...Ken Breward  the Steward,,and Colin Simpson,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,good evening mrs Wilson Port and Lemon ? Pint for Doug and a Babycham for your lovely Daughter Diane..(definitely 2 cherries)......thats 6/3  thanks....

• Like 7

Just realised the Barman photo wasn't 1967,,,,it was when i first worked in 1963.........just a boy of 18...........Two halves of Bitter mrs Richards and two pints of Mild thats 6/4....ta mi duck....

Marsdens/Farrands were taken over by Moores stores of Newcastle and they expanded with bigger stores Savemore and Thrifty in about 1963,,,there wern't many Thrifty stores in Nottingham mostly Derbyshire,,Leicestershire and the west midlands,,,the one on the photo is now the Spar shop in Sherwood....

Never apart from that one have i seen another photo a Thrifty shop.............in fact Cliff ton not seen any of a Savemore.......the Savemores in Nottingham were in Clifton (southchurch drive) Lenton and Bulwell.............

British Rail Staff Association....different name now....but still there on Bestwood road Ian...............

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Supermarket Wars: Battle of the High Street on Channel 5 last night. Very interesting. Gem superstore was mentioned as being the first in the country. I remembered the name but not where it was. A google search came up with West Bridgford and I found some photos. https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=univ&tbm=isch&q=gem+supermarket+nottingham&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiH4dSgnZ3qAhWHbsAKHYtJA6IQsAR6BAgKEAE&biw=1920&bih=888

Was this the only Gem in Nottingham? As I lived in Bilborough we never shopped there! The Co-op on Bracebridge or Cockington was the shop of choice for my mum. When I went to Coventry I discovered Sainsburys and now our son has introduced us to Lidl. Times change.

Remember it being built BS., Advertised as the first Hypermarket. It's where Asda is now in West Bridgford. Seem to think it changed names from Gem after Associated Dairies took it over. First time we ever went we were astounded with the size. Didn't know where to go first as it was so big. Now we just take it for granted with these giant shopping complexes, they are so run of the mill. I used to deliver to Co-op on Brace ridge, when I worked at SPD on Glaisdale drive. Don't you think nowadays we are spoilt for choice? But I suppose it does allow price comparison.

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc