Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

By Request then.............. Like all other aspects of my Teen years,at Marsdens,loved doing deliverys to customers on the Granville with big Basket..no gears and hardwork up the hills of Bestwo

Next delivery was Mrs Taylor....who lived 2 doors from me on Andover road  .......knew her all my life...even Babysat me when i was a little un....a very formidable lady had 5 kids all much older than

Last delivery to Mrs Timberlake...Hucknall road..... Morning Mrs T....Where you want me to put your Order ? Just leave it on the Hall Table Ben...How much is it ?  (she was a customer that p

Posted Images

Great stuff cliff ton,,,really interesting,,lotsof names i had forgotten.....

• 4 months later...

Did our training for Decimalisation in feb 1971,,,in the upstairs room of this store......i was sent round many of the stores to help old ladies and their Conversion to the new money....loved making the old ladies ''TITTER'''',,,,,,,,,,,'Morning mi duck ,have a seat .gimmi a shilling for 5 pence.....''' that usually started the banter,,,had lots of laughs with em  ...really enjoyed putting them at ease,,,,,

The shop next to the bank on the corner (last 2 bay windows at first floor level) used to be a high class gents outfitters. A girl who lived near to me worked in the accounts department there after leaving school.  Many of those shops had beautiful fascias years ago. Very sad to see what they have now become.

JUST dawned on me,,,all i said about the Marsdens was true,,,except it was Farrands across the road a bit higher up...,,,,just a matter of no interest at all,,,,,,,,my ex girlfriend Katrina's aunt and Uncle lived in the flat above the bank....lol.

The picture triggers a few memories for me, the demolished office block used to have jam sessions in the basement late eighties, wasn't there a car dealership facing?

Roughly where photo was taken there was a Sony shop.

Going back a little earlier..recall a shop that had metal detectors in the window roughly on the corner..over photographers shoulder.

Think I've got this location correct, the road that ran horizontally across had a medal.. Militaria shop, the owner was was super helpful to me..a  12 year old enthusiast!

• Like 1

I've tweaked the link to the map. If you click on it now it automatically points upwards to show the Lloyds as BK mentioned.

2 hours ago, HSR said:

The picture triggers a few memories for me, the demolished office block used to have jam sessions in the basement late eighties, wasn't there a car dealership facing ?

Something connected with traffic; cars or maybe motorbikes, or car spares.

Coming down Boden Street on same side as the bank, about four shops down there used to be a lovely bakers, who baked their own bread at the back. I went to school with a young lad who lived there. I think the shop was Hurds. We spent many happy hours in the yard at the back where the ovens were. The aroma was intoxicating, with fresh bread etc. They also used to make cakes and a firm favourite with locals was "Nelson squares", which were brilliant hot or cold, you could put custard on them for a pudding or pack them up for your 'snap'. That's where we used to get our Salmon paste or potted meat, (bought by 2oz or 4oz etc). Boden Street then divided to Thackery Street on left and Boden Street down to Denman Street. All that area was my stomping ground until I was about 14. My pal, John Furnace lived on the other side of Boden Street, next door to the public baths.

NB. If you read this Mary1947, he was the lad who had relatives at Jacksdale and who I swam in the reservoir with.

On Boden Street, on the corner of Clifford Street, I think that used be the bakers. Above the entrance door was a big Hovis sign. There used to be a gate at the side of the shop where you could reverse a small delivery van in. That's where we used go in to meet our school chum. Used to get plenty of stale cakes.

• 1 month later...

Marsdens were known as ''Marsdens High Class Grocers'''

However they had stores in all areas some a bit rough and some Posher area's........i enjoyed them all....

In Chilwell i managed in 1968 one of the Posher ones we had some real 'Posh' type customers..for instance Mrs Pettigrew...real posh.,never came to the shop always rang for her requirements and put on her account,,,the conversation went something like this'''

Ring Ring,,,hello this is Mrs Pettigrew  field lane here,,

Hello Mrs Pettigrew..how can i help ?

I only want some '''John West Red Salmon''' one tin please,,

Delivered?

Yes please this afternoon about 3 oclock..

OK Mrs Pettigrew,,,on account?

Yes please,,how much is it?

4/6 Madam is that ok?

Yes thats fine,,,you wont be late will you? ive got my sister coming for Tea........

I was 23 and got on the granville Bike wearing my White coat and delivered right on time.....

Why thankyou my boy,,could you deliver some Andrex twin toilet rolls Pink......in the morning about 10 oclock?

Hard to believe i know,,but this sort of trading really went on...was always glad to get back to Bulwell and ..''Ey Up Duck..what you want,,,,,,,,?

• Like 5

Ben, did you know the general grocers shop at the top of Radford Rd? I was about 50 yards down on the left, below Staddens clock. Mr Dawkins either managed or owned it and lived on the premises. His son, Tony Dawkins was my mate at Berridge.

• Like 1

Might be the same but Marsdens/Farrands did have a shop where you mention PP.....It traded as Northern Dairies....bloke called Syd managed it early 60s...........we did have a Dawkins about that time ..he was an Area Manager when i knew him name of Harry......good chap worked a fair bit with him,,,,think he passed away with Parkinsons...sadly...........

• Like 1

I remember a 'posh' Marsdens in Woodthorpe. It was on Thackeray's Lane roundabout. We never used it though. Mr. Taylor's on Marlborough Rd and Dabel's on the corner of Buckingham Rd. were our nearest grocery stores. All long gone now. Arthur Richardson's used to supply the independent grocery shops.

• Like 1

Never worked the Thackerays lane store Phil,,,,,,,and yes i remember Richardsons they supplied all Notts Mace stores as we at ABGibsons supplied VG stores.......we were always canvassing Mace stores trying to get them to join VG Instead.......

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc