Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

By Request then.............. Like all other aspects of my Teen years,at Marsdens,loved doing deliverys to customers on the Granville with big Basket..no gears and hardwork up the hills of Bestwo

Next delivery was Mrs Taylor....who lived 2 doors from me on Andover road  .......knew her all my life...even Babysat me when i was a little un....a very formidable lady had 5 kids all much older than

Last delivery to Mrs Timberlake...Hucknall road..... Morning Mrs T....Where you want me to put your Order ? Just leave it on the Hall Table Ben...How much is it ?  (she was a customer that p

Posted Images

The chap from Redmaynes for the football was called Poyser....i think..could be wrong.....it was almost 60 years since...bleddy hell we are old Phil................

When i was playing football thursday afternoons i had a Manager at Marsdens who kept telling me to pack up...cos if i got injured i;d be off work....of course i took no no notice..........anyway he was a keen Golfer and got hit with a golf ball on Bulwell hall....off work for a month......:wacko:

• 3 months later...
On 1/1/2021 at 1:43 AM, benjamin1945 said:

but i'd catch all their Shoplifters and have a fun time doing it.

The owner of one of our major supermarket chains has taken to publishing video of shoplifters at their stores on line via social media, good on him I say. Now the bleeding heart snowflakes are saying that it is infringing the civil rights of the shoplifters FFS.

What about the rights of the shop owners to not have their stock stolen. It seems that one dubbed the "meat bandit" only stole cuts of the finest Waygu or eye fillets. If these people get prosecuted, many only get a slap on the wrist even though they may be serial offenders and perhaps get a line in the local press if they get convicted. More power to the man.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

In Doncaster where I lived before there was a Costcutter supermarket in our mining village. They put the names of shoplifters up on the entrance door with “Banned from here” in big letters above the list. It was up for a while then one of them complained and they were made to take it down. 
I worked in a small convenience store in the village. The stores there had a system that when one of the local shoplifters was out again (they sometimes got a few weeks in prison or were tagged) the first shop they went in called all the others to let them know he/she was out and about again. We had pictures of them taken from our cctv which were kept in the office and the relevant picture would be put on office notice board so we could keep an eye out for them. Although most were “regulars” who we knew anyway.

• Like 2

Shoplifters come in all sorts of guises.....kids...teenage gangs.....violent pros......ordinary housewives.....bored Pensioners...wealthy middle class thrill seekers......

Most had a story to tell......must admit apart from the violent ones.....quiet enjoyed some of them......many were very funny......long time since i was involved with them......but still sometimes bump into old adversary's and share a chat over a cup of Coffee........its wrong what they do...but shoplifting will always exist (so long as there are shops)........they gave me a decent living for many years...God bless em''.........As regards photos in shops(until it was stopped) had one lad up Broxtowe complain that his photo wasn't up.........be boring world if everyone was a ''Goody two shoes''.......don't ya think ?....

• Like 4
  • 8 months later...
On 5/16/2019 at 9:27 AM, benjamin1945 said:

Had a great result this morning,,,been looking and making comments on ''Nottingham way back when''........at troggs instigation,,,

Well you all know of my love of Marsdens/Farrands days which i always go on about,,,i always knew that they joined up in the 50s but didnt really know much about their History............Anyway the great grand daughter of Frank Farrand contacted me thru NWBW this morning,,and filled me in as to Farrands beginnings...............First shop 1850s on Fishergate,,,plus Fulforth street opened in 1870...........she gave me other snippets about them too,,,

She made my day,,

Cliff ton Fulforth st/Mansfield rd junction Farrands....has had a few mentions..including this one.............

• Like 1

Much thanks to Paulus for starting this Topic way back in 2011....since i joined 'Nottstalgia' in 2014 its given me many hours of pleasure in remembering and discussing the many 'Marsdens' and Farrands'' stores that i worked at in the 60s....also much thanks to Cliff Ton'' for the many Photo's............i intend to start taking 'Pictures' of the stores as they are today.......starting with Marsdens Andover road where i began in 1960.......hope you enjoy......

• Like 4

Even though I passed Andover Road store countless times I cannot remember what it looked like. All I can recollect is looking through the window at the bacon slicer and the different thicknesses you could have it sliced to, so a photo of the store would be appreciated.

• Like 1

A pictorial career  history would be a fascinating project and given the number of places, quite a challenge.

• Like 1

I intend to do just that Brew........just of my 60s years with the company.....best working years of my life...never to be forgotten .....other staff members even many customers....who's names i still recall.......i start tomorrow......T'will keep me busy.......

•  

Used to work a bit in and around Doncaster and went to find the shop where it was filmed......Arkwright and Granville had moved on............

Yes it was Jill...........Balby as you go into 'Donny' from the west....one of my sons used to live quite near..........

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc