Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

By Request then.............. Like all other aspects of my Teen years,at Marsdens,loved doing deliverys to customers on the Granville with big Basket..no gears and hardwork up the hills of Bestwo

Next delivery was Mrs Taylor....who lived 2 doors from me on Andover road  .......knew her all my life...even Babysat me when i was a little un....a very formidable lady had 5 kids all much older than

Last delivery to Mrs Timberlake...Hucknall road..... Morning Mrs T....Where you want me to put your Order ? Just leave it on the Hall Table Ben...How much is it ?  (she was a customer that p

Posted Images

B477B93C-F4DF-4696-8C83-3ADB156FFE7A

Marsdens andover road....this morning....where i began my magical mystery tour at age 15 in 1960........too many memories of lovely people staff and customers.....ive never seen another photo of this store.....even Cliff Ton can't find one.......think it closed about 1969...and apart from being a Cafe for a short time..has sadly sat empty........

At one time there were a few shops in this little parade in the 60s.....Off licence...Greengrocer....Hair dresser.....Hardware....Paper shop...Wool shop....Chemist.....only the Off licence remains.........

B832F515-9A81-40ED-A8CB-0514B2FCFB2F

• Like 5

I've learned something today. Looking at Ben's photo made me realise I've never been along Andover Road at any time in my life.....so I took a drive on Streetview.

Overall I don't think I've missed much, but I realised that the shop was next to one of the cut-throughs which went under the old railway embankment.

• Like 1

Kev, Marble Arch was down the slope to the right. The next shop along from Marsdens, i.e. away from the photographer,was Marlowes'. I was at HP with their son Nigel. Can't recall next shop but it may have been a bookies or something at some point.  Last was the Off Licence, last one left as Ben correctly states.

Behind the photographer, and so the other side of Marble Arch, was another row..now demolished and replaced by housing. There was a small 'lock up' hardware store, where my Dad sent me to pick up my first ever bike for my birthday. It was second hand..but it was a bike. Then in the main block, a Hairdressers.  My neice worked there for years until the owner finally closed it down due to constant vandalism/break ins etc.  A Pharmacy/Chemists.  It was a  'proper' pharmacy up to around 1959/60, when the chap, whose name I forget, moved on. It was rumoured that he was 'unwell'.  After him came the Wyvill family from Lincolnshire, who were not pharmacists, but sold over the counter meds, gifts, make up etc. A sort of a mini Boots. Their two lads Bob and Graham were also at HP and good friends of mine. I was amazed that they had a half sized snooker table in their lounge on the first floor above he shop. We would play snooker and listen to early Beatles, Buddy Holly etc.. on their Dad's Grundig Tape recorder.  Those were great times.  Bob is sadly deceased, but I'm still in contact with Graham, who is a talented musician and furniture maker.  Lizzie also knows him..  A Newsagents.  Last I recall this was 'Westbrooks',but no doubt someone else before.  Finally a Wool Shop/Haberdashers, which my Mum dragged me into to choose wool for the next sweater or balaclava she planned to knit for me....  Triffic...:mellow:

• Like 3

Good memories there Col..........the people that had the Paper shop before 'Westbrook' were named ;Parsons........and the chap who owned the''Hardware shop ''was Jim Conduit'......

Being there yesterday with my happy memories also made me feel very sad...thinking about all the folk i knew...who have now gone.......remembering gives 'Funny' emotions.........

• Like 2

My mission for collecting photos of today where once there was a Marsdens/Farrands or Vernons (all the same company) where i worked in the 60s......continues apace.........now have 3 in Bulwell and two in Hucknall to add.........won't bore you with putting em all on at the same time.........try not to get too excited in anticipation.......lol

Funny you should say that Jill..........been trying not to mention the girls from way back.......but i'll have to capitulate.....this morning in Hucknall couldnt help but remember.....Dorothy and Val............Dot's Dad wanted to know what i was doing under the kitchen sink behind a curtain...late one night......:Shock:

• Like 2
06BBDF9E-4F9B-403D-89C5-4BC3BCE9F1DF

Marsdens way back in the 50s stood here.......there are lots of photos of Bulwell showing the Marsdens sign on the big wall ....i worked there as relief when i was 16 or 17..........I had learned how to bone and roll and then display the bacon whilst at the Andover road shop........learnt the till operation and how to ring in 1/10pence halfpenny using many fingers and my mental arithmetic was excellent....so i was well thought of....and being willing to travel was just what the company wanted...........

The Manager in 1961-62 was Jack Pinder a lovely Bulwell chap who took me under his wing.........

The shop took all the shops now there in the bottom picture........think it closed about 67 when they opened Savemore supermarket...where Iceland is now...Jack was made manager and i was his side-kick for the opening weeks trading.. because by this time i was fully conversant with supermarket trading

585725A1-FA7B-45D3-BB38-3BFFCA93A1D1

• Like 3
On 10/27/2016 at 8:19 PM, Cliff Ton said:

Bulwell Market Place quite a long time ago, with an early version of the Horse & Jockey and - for Benjamin - an early Marsden's.

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae24/kc29_2010/kc29_2010001/bulwell%20horse_zps7oc9erbm.jpg

Thanks to the Bulwell Facebook page who came up with the photo.

AS ABOVE.......Think 1950s

• Like 2
B10BAF34-F57B-45F6-817A-B201A5A9B7AA

Took these pic's the other day.........relief Managed this store when i was 17. for about a month.....it was a Vernons self service in 1962.......it was converted from being a Marsdens ....very small and didnt last long...on Derbyshire lane Hucknall..

3C3EDEE7-9150-4431-A231-48576FECB3B7

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

.........relief Managed this store when i was 17. for about a month.....

That's impressive !

Being a manager (albeit Relief) when you were only 17.  Bet you couldn't be a manager anywhere now at that age.

• Like 2

Ben, in your first picture of what was Marsdens, would that be at the start of the original Commercial road?

Or is it on Main street? I only ask because I recollect a butchers next door (where the card factory is). I think it's the stall frames that are confusing me. Was it the Horse and Jockey next door, then I think the Penguin cafe, just about where the old 43 trolley bus terminus was. Forgive my foggy memory.

Nah Jill, the old pix are of Bulwell market, having cables or water pipes being laid. Roughly outside of Chadbund brothers shop and where Woolworth was.

Commercial road Beekay.......youre right with the butchers and Pub.......but the Penguin Cafe was a bit further back..........

Great pictures of Marsdens with the sign.......starting to think Marsdens was much older than i thought......thanks Stuart........

• Like 1

Had a couple of hours seeking out my old Marsdens shops this morning.........left me realising that the world we once knew back in the 60s was far nicer than todays...

Dirty streets...

Whole areas just a mess...

Dirty shops with poorly dressed Assistants (owners)

When they were Marsdens......the staff wore clean white coats and Aprons......customers were Addressed as SIr or Madam.....today went in the ex Marsdens...and was shocked by the overall standards of Dress..speech and general cleanliness.....

One chap..i took to be the owner was wearing a dirty overcoat and sat smoking whilst on his phone...and the place stunk....he had also parked his van near the entrance to the shop...making entry more than difficult.......i should have rung the health Authorities........sadly this applied in 3 ex Marsdens i visited.....

We were young at the right time........

Photo's to follow when Grandaughter shows up..............

At least Ben, you can relax in the knowledge that these shops in dirty condition are no longer run by Marsdens so they're not responsible for the state. I  agree with you, it's sad to see these places like they are and remember them as they were. Sometimes it may be better not to revisit. Having said that, keep up the photography, I'm seeing area's that I never knew existed (as a kid).

• Like 1

Nice images Ben.

Everything you said about poor standards of dress, cleanliness, politeness these day compared with today is a sad freflection that the sixties generation have a lot to answer for. 

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc