Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc

Alpha, I think that in blaming the '60's generation'.. whatever that means..you have added 2+2 and  made 5. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

By Request then.............. Like all other aspects of my Teen years,at Marsdens,loved doing deliverys to customers on the Granville with big Basket..no gears and hardwork up the hills of Bestwo

Next delivery was Mrs Taylor....who lived 2 doors from me on Andover road  .......knew her all my life...even Babysat me when i was a little un....a very formidable lady had 5 kids all much older than

Last delivery to Mrs Timberlake...Hucknall road..... Morning Mrs T....Where you want me to put your Order ? Just leave it on the Hall Table Ben...How much is it ?  (she was a customer that p

Posted Images

Interesting to me is that Ben's pic of the old Boowul Marsden's shows a street sign on the wall which says 'Market Side'.   I don't remember ever  seeing that sign though it is clearly old. I never heard the expression 'Market Side'. There is a similar one visible on the left hand wall of the old Horse and Jockey in Kev's pic. I suppose it is possible its the very same one..moved when the old H&J was demolished.

As an aside, my Uncle Frank Radford kept the 'New' Horse and Jockey at some point in the late 1950s. He was my Dad's sister's husband.

Incidentally 'Chadbunds' means nothing to me.  Along 'Market Side' in the 1960s I recall a Boots, then Woolies and the Penguin Cafe and not necessarily in that order.  I also recall an Army Surplus  store, plus a Pork Butchers close to the junction of Market Side and Pilkington St/Commercial Road. Said butchers sold Trotters, Tripe and other disgusting things, and may or may not have been the same place that  had a  rotisserie thingy in the window, full of small chickens..roasting away..

My memory is getting worse....

• Like 1

Alpha most members on this site are from the sixties generation, we brought lots of things for you to enjoy. Rock n'Roll Jive, Elvis, Beetles,and more. Mini skirts. Maxie skirts, bouffants.french rolls. Drain pipes, DAs, pointed toes. 3 piece suits, and much more if fashion and hairstyles. We also were taught to say please and thank you. We had to respect the older generation. Also cheap holidays to Spain, weekend flights, and did a man not walk on the moon. Maybe we were not as clean as you think but the house i lived in did not have a bathroom, and each day i would have to have a stripdown wash as most of us did. When I stated work I had to call the older staff Mr Blogs Mrs Bloggs we could not call them by their christian name. Even after I was enaged I had to be in by 10 30 no later. Now going on though the years looking back to me the sixties was the best years, but we can all say that. You should rhank us older ones, now when i go to a shop I like a little bit of service, went shopping the other day at a well known food store, my shopping was cramed going down from the till, when the girl had finished, she just turned around and said thats £????? no please/thankyou/ can i halp you pack. so this is your generation is it Alpha sorry !!! not impressed.

DJ If I remember correctly, and my memory is rubbish, Chadbunds was the hardware shop next to Penguin and the alley way at the side was where you went up to collect larger items from the back of the shop.

chadbunds.jpg

• Like 1

Mary, I thought the ‘sixties’ generation meant people who were BORN in the sixties?    But maybe  I’m wrong ……

Spot on with that Trogg, and that alley led up to Coventry Road, (now the market bypass). Bought lots of stuff from there, including CB radios etc, which I still possess. You could even get glass cut there. Could the name Market side refer to the days when the market used to be on the traffic island that was in the middle? Folks always went to shop from the trolley bus side, it seemed more dangerous to cross on the other side as it was a bit wider.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, MargieH said:

Mary, I thought the ‘sixties’ generation meant people who were BORN in the sixties?    But maybe  I’m wrong ……

Think thats what Alpha meant Margie..........

Went to find the Marsdens that used to on the corner of Northgate and Gawthorne st............sadly demolished...in fact the whole area was a mess......few terraced streets remain.....surrounded by bits of neglected industry....in the 60s it was full of terraced streets and happy looking people.....very depressing now with miserable looking folk.....

The Little Egypt area of Basford has been decimated. My great grandparents lived there until the 1940s and my mother often spoke of what a lovely community it was.  In the 1980s, we went to try to find the house where they had lived. I remembered it from my very early childhood when a great aunt still lived there.

The house had gone and everywhere resembled a demolition site. Mum was most upset. In a way, I wish we hadn't visited the area. You cannot go back and time moves on.

• Like 1

Mary,

please let try to explain the origin of my comment.

To me, born in the 40's and slowly maturing in the 50's and 60's I witnessed, what was to me, the beginning of the deline of a once greater nation.

Old architectually pleasing buildings, nice shops with character which is sadly missing today. 

Clean streets one could walk about at night without fear of assault or worse. Children playing in the street without the watchful adult.

A police force unfettered by 'lefties', a term that is used to describe the human rights lobbyists.

A dedicated policing policy and judicial system dealing with criminal activity and swift justice.

Once there was the absence of gang crime; knife crime, gun crime, open no drug dealing, rape of children, even by young boys.

Going out for enjoyment to the pub without the fear of spiked drinks. 

We now have, like most of the principle foundations in our society, a lurking skulking level of civil unrest and degradation of good behaviour that began in the schools in the 60's and is now rampant throughout the nation.

What we have now is all 'rights' but not a reserve of what collective and individual ,responsibilities' are that should, and if we are to survive, replace the 'rights' issue. 

Please carry on Ben I enjoy your postings and recollections of times long ago.

As for the Market Side sign it is still there on the same building, which is now Greggs, I spent an hour this morning as I have seen a photo of many years ago of the same building and sign. I never found it for all I know it was probably the wrong sites I was searching.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Alpha most members on this site are from the sixties generation, we brought lots of things for you to enjoy. Rock n'Roll Jive, Elvis, Beetles,and more. Mini skirts. Maxie skirts, bouffants.french rolls. Drain pipes, DAs, pointed toes. 3 piece suits, and much more if fashion and hairstyles. We also were taught to say please and thank you. We had to respect the older generation. Also cheap holidays to Spain, weekend flights, and did a man not walk on the moon. Maybe we were not as clean as you think but the house i lived in did not have a bathroom, and each day i would have to have a stripdown wash as most of us did. When I stated work I had to call the older staff Mr Blogs Mrs Bloggs we could not call them by their christian name. Even after I was enaged I had to be in by 10 30 no later. Now going on though the years looking back to me the sixties was the best years, but we can all say that. You should rhank us older ones, now when i go to a shop I like a little bit of service, went shopping the other day at a well known food store, my shopping was cramed going down from the till, when the girl had finished, she just turned around and said thats £????? no please/thankyou/ can i halp you pack. so this is your generation is it Alpha sorry !!! not impressed.

Yes Mary, I was part of of the rock and roll era too. Starting with Bill Haley, the Big Bopper et al. So I'm well before your time.

You should continue, Ben.  I love going to look at places where my family members and ancestors once lived, even if most of them aren't there any more and it was way before my time. It somehow gives me a sense of connection with them...sounds odd, but it does!

• Like 1

)On the subject of 'Little Egypt ', this is where 'er indoors lived as a nipper. Her and mum used to live with her gran, at number 24, the one on the corner. When I showed this picture I'd found, her remark was..."It dint look like that when we lived there"!  (Not sure she's heard about renovation.)

Screenshot-20220128-115650-Maps.jpg

• Like 1

Should have done that down Northgate....they can be made to look good.....instead of demolition.........

Regarding 'Market Side', Chadbunds etc.

I had a lengthy conversation with my old mate Tony Hay today.  He lived his early years on the corner of Kett St and Coventry Road, close to where Brian Exton had his motorbike shop.  All gone now but Tony still lives in Boowul. 

It turns out that Chadbunds was the same place as the Army Surplus place I recall, and that Tony bought the same army surplus Tank Periscope Heads from them that I bought. I think we payed 1s/9d for them. The alley at the side does run through to Coventry Road, but I recall it being 'gated' in the early 60s, and possibly still gated when the businesses are closed. My recall of that is confirmed by an incident I recall involving a motorbike crash..which I've described here before.

Tony says that the pork butchers I recall was just a wooden hut at the side of the Horse and Jockey.. but I still can't picture it.

The 'alleys' I recall were further along, basically either side of the Woolies  which was in an old cinema or theatre, pretty much directly opposite the 'bogs'.

I also had it in my head that there was a Boots a bit further along than Woolies, towards Cinderhill, but Tony reminded me that it was actually a Co-op, with a pharmacy included.  I don't recall ever going in it, though I was probably dragged in there by my Mum at some point as she was a big fan of the Co-op.   There was another Boowul Co-op in the building which now houses the William Peveril, but that was more a food type supermarket. My Mum and Sis used to go down there for a 'big shop' on a Saturday Morning.  I would often go to the lovely Library opposite the Liberal Club/Coopers/360 to get books for the week, and then meet Mum and Pam in the upstairs Cafe of the Coop,for a 'frothy coffee' and a sausage roll.  From the Cafe windows you could see down the street opposite (Jennison St?) and clearly make out Rigleys Wagon Works and their sand hopper.

Finally, I recall my cousin Pete Chambers, whose Dad had a shop opposite the Black Horse in Coventry Road, sometimes talking about somewhere called the 'Paraquet'.  I had no idea what that was, or where, but I got the impression that whatever it was..it was Cinderhill direction.

Tony Hay also recalls the name, and is sure it existed, but can't recall whether it was a Cafe, or Shop/Bar or what.  Anybody?

• Like 1

My Manning chum, Denise Chambers, lived on Coventry Road where her parents had a butcher's shop. It was very old property and fell prey to a CPO around 1973, after which the family moved to Basford.  I often visited Denise when she lived in Bulwell and recall going shopping at the Cooperative when it occupied the current Wetherspoon's building.  We also called at a chemist to buy saltpetre, I think it was, which was used for some purpose in the shop.

Also recall Steggles, more or less opposite the Cooperative on Main Street. They sold lovely custard tarts. Ford's was on the opposite side of the road. There were lots of old fashioned little shops that vanished long years ago.

Bulwell, today, is almost unrecognizable when compared with those far off days.

• Like 2

Nice memories Jill. 

I find it difficult to believe that Chamber's Butchers were not in some way related to the Chamber's who owned the grocery shop which I've mentioned frequently, where my Mum's cousin Peter, who was more my age..was raised.  Pete's dad Cecil, was my great uncle, and  a brother of my maternal Grandmother Doris Chambers, who kept the Bestwood Hotel.

It's a branch of my ancestors I'm yet to explore.

Just as I'm certain my Berresford ancestry will one day prove that I own much of Derbyshire..I'm equally convinced that I will one day be restored to my rightful place as Lord Boowul.. :rolleyes:

P.S. Satpetre is used in curing and preserving meats, especially, ham and bacon.... so that would fit.  It is a term used to describe both Sodium and Potassium Nitrates.

DJ360, that 'cinema or theatre you referred to a couple of posts back, was indeed a theatre. The "Olympia" was well know as variety cum burlesque. My dad Cyril (Syd) worked there for a while as a stagehand. I can vaguely remember going with him to see the famous "Jane", of daily mirror fame, (the live version,not comic strip).

Mentioned it before, but one of dad's jobs was standing in the wings and handing cloaks to the strippers as they came off stage.

• Like 1

They possibly were related, DJ.  There were two, rival, butchers in Bulwell when I went there in the very early 70s. Both named Chambers. My friend's shop on Coventry Road and another near Market Place.  

I believe they were related but there had been animosity between the owners. The Coventry Road shop was run by my friend's mother and an assistant. Her parents had split up around the time we started Manning in 1969 and I never met her father, although I believe his name was George and the shop had been his.  Denise occasionally mentioned the rival shop but I don't know exactly what the relationship was with her father.  The Coventry Road shop had been in the family for a very long time and, possibly, there had been a split at some point with a brother starting up a rival business.

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc