Paulus

Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, etc

Lots of biscuits seem to have vanished.

Abbey Crunch, Burtons Pennywise Wafers, loved Lemon Puffs and Lincolns..Malted Milks and Morning Coffee.Walkers Shortbread and Ritz cheese sandwich. Garibaldis..Tins of TeaTime.

• Like 1

IAN123

you can still get Morning coffee, tins of tea time, abbey crunch it just were you shop. You can also get Wafers from ALDI , and if you feel up to it make your own Shortbread it's better than what you buy, and so easy to make.

• Like 1

Me mam used to shop at Reeson’s (I suppose it might have been Riesen’s) which was on Carlton Road, just below Cardale Road and Linton Rise. In fact the ahop is still there - the last shop bedore the old railway cutting to Sneinton. Mr Reeson was an old, white haired gentleman who wore a long white overall/coat. Sugar was bought in a stiff, blue paper bag which he filled from a sack or something, and butter was cut off the slab. Biscuits were kept in a rack of tins with glass lids so you could see inside.

The shop seemed very old, lots of wooden shelving, wooden floorboards and a dusty, fusty sort of smell. It must have been old ‘cos when my mam said when they were young, they used to stand outside and watch the mice play in the window! Probably explains the smell!

He used to give us credit, but when we reached an embarrasing amount, we used to go over the road to a grocer’s at the bottom of Porchester until payday came and we could afford to pay him off before starting the whole process again.

I seem to remember that there was a Marsden’s further down Carlton Road, on the right, on the corner of Woodhouse Street or Randolph Street, where my grandma shopped.

Yes AG there was a marsdens where you say,,did a short stint there about 1961,,the sign on the corner wall was still visable a few years ago,think it still is,   

Cliff ton kindly posted a photo somewhere on here,

22 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Lots of biscuits seem to have vanished.

Abbey Crunch, Burtons Pennywise Wafers, loved Lemon Puffs and Lincolns..Malted Milks and Morning Coffee.Walkers Shortbread and Ritz cheese sandwich. Garibaldis..Tins of TeaTime.

I really miss Lincoln biscuits, they were my favourite as a kid

• Like 1

I used to like Lincoln biscuits as well - green wrappers - suppose it was Lincoln green.

I also liked Barmouth, Morning Coffee, Rich Tea. Hated Marie biscuits - they were a bit like Rich Tea but they didn't dunk successfully. They retained a hard middle and a soggy outer. Morning Coffee were by far the best for dunking.

Most biscuits were too sweet for me and I never liked chocolate biscuits except for Bournville Wafers.

• Like 2